Brand New to the Droid Family

Wrh23

Reaction score
Hello guys I'm brand new to the Droid Family, a converted Blackberry user for 6 years. I got the Bionic yesterday and must admit I'm very pleased so far. I'm sure I'm gonna be posting questions quite a bit in here in the recent weeks as I learn and try to figure out all the things you can do with this marvelous machine. The first two questions are: 1. How do I search within the Bionic, like in files and such. I see the search icon(magnifying glass) but when I click it, it searches Google. 2. How do I copy and paste. Thanks so much for answers in advance and I'm excited to join the forums.

calebole

Reaction score
The search button is very powerful. Use it often. To search more than Google, click the search button and to the left, you'll see a small button. Clicking there will bring up a long list of searchable domains.

To copy/paste, try long-pressing the text you'd like to copy. A contextual menu will pop up allowing you to select copy. When you want to paste, long press in the area you'd like to populate and select paste.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

calebole

Reaction score
Sorry. I was relying on my memory...to be very clear, click the blue 'g' button next to the input panel which brings up a menu with a few options. In the upper right corner of this drop-down, there is a small gray button. That's where the list of choices is. Tick the box that says files.

calebole

Reaction score
No problem.

The search button does so much more than just searching. Holding down the button from the home screen brings up the voice command prompt which I use daily.

Most of the time if I'm driving, I'll bust out the voice command and say something like 'text...john...I'll be running late period see you at four thirty explanation point'

Google really handles voice commands well, so I use it more and more. I tried iPhone, but couldn't get by without my search and menu buttons.

wseyller

Reaction score
Hit the magnifying glass button once. Hit the menu button and select search settings. Then choose searchable items. In there you can decide what it searchs. Anything from contacts, Web searches, text messages, files, emails. Even within certain apps like ebay or imdb or even songs stored on your phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
1. How do I search within the Bionic, like in files and such. I see the search icon(magnifying glass) but when I click it, it searches Google.

You'll need a file explorer from the market. Astro is a popular one.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

OP
W

Wrh23

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your warm welcomes. I'm having another issue. This time it's in the department of contacts. I want to be able to manage them on my Verizon account from verizon.com. My wife is the primary number and all of her contacts are on her account. However I can't seem to get it to "sync" with my Bionic. Also when I purchased the Bionic from the Verizon store the person had me set up a Gmail account so I could manage the contacts there. When I log in to it the contact list is empty. Somehow when they transferred my contacts from my old phone from AT&T to the Bionic it doubled my contact list. Meaning I have 2 of every contact now and I would much rather delete them in bulk than individually. Any help would be much appreciated.

BuckyN8

Reaction score
Your story sounds like mine! I just converted over from Blackberrys as well. I love the droid, it just takes some time getting use to .

OP
W

Wrh23

Reaction score
yeah really...if I can figure these contacts out. I'm getting frustrated and I miss my keyboard from my BB Torch. But that's about all..lol

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
Can't say I know how to do it in bulk, I've always gone through contact ts individually to see if they're were multiples and then erasing as necessary. Hopefully someone can enlighten us both.

From the dual cores of my XT875

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Another way to browse files is to simply open up the list of apps and go to file manager. You can also add this to that drop down search menu others mentioned.

To copy and paste simply double tap the word, it'll be highlighted with two little markers on each end of the word. Drag the markers where you want to copy/cut. Then touch and hold the highlighted area and you'll get another menu with copy, paste, or cut.

With the contacts issue make sure the contacts PHONE NUMBERS were saved to your gmail account. If they were only saved on the phone then they could've copied over the contacts but they aren't backed up anywhere.

As for the double contacts, I remember having this problem when I first got my Eris, and there was a way to remove doubles, but to be completely honest I can't remember how. So keep looking for that one cause I know I had the same problem once.

And another welcome to the Droid community. I love when snobby iPhone users go on about "there's nothing you can do on a droid that you can't do on a iPhone" and then you get into the technical stuff and they have never even heard of an sbf. Maybe it's sad, but I'm a PC dude, and I really don't care if people like Apple, but it's still fun to watch them get quiet and be confused for a second after they tried to berate you.

revelated

Reaction score
You'll need a file explorer from the market. Astro is a popular one.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

You totally don't. You can configure the search widget to search apps, files, emails...whatever.

Thanks so much for your warm welcomes. I'm having another issue. This time it's in the department of contacts. I want to be able to manage them on my Verizon account from verizon.com. My wife is the primary number and all of her contacts are on her account. However I can't seem to get it to "sync" with my Bionic. Also when I purchased the Bionic from the Verizon store the person had me set up a Gmail account so I could manage the contacts there. When I log in to it the contact list is empty. Somehow when they transferred my contacts from my old phone from AT&T to the Bionic it doubled my contact list. Meaning I have 2 of every contact now and I would much rather delete them in bulk than individually. Any help would be much appreciated.

For contacts I never sync to Verizon, only Google, and the contacts do show up. If they're showing on your phone, you can check in Contacts --> Menu ---> Settings --> Contact Storage to see where they're ending up. For Google, make sure they're not in "Other Contacts" or some other stupid category. In order for contacts to show up on your phone, they need to be labeled under "My Contacts" in addition to whatever else. So for example if you make a contact category called "Work", you have to add people to that AND the "My Contacts" category, else they won't show up on the phone.

Last edited: