Keeping it "Brand New"

TOPDOG954

Reaction score
I just got my Bionic and I want to make sure that I keep it running as fast as possible and as close to brand new as possible. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve this? Ive heard that some anti-viruses slow the device down, so I'm wondering how much true there is to that statement. If so, what can I do to protect my device instead of an anti-virus? If not, what is the best app to use for protection?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Common sense is your best defense. Antivirus software is pointless on android,bb and iphone.

tc1

Reaction score
Not pointless....more and more malware and viruses are popping up on smartphones.

I use lookout and disable the active security (which is what slows the phone) I just run a scan manually every so often.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Not pointless....more and more malware and viruses are popping up on smartphones.

I use lookout and disable the active security (which is what slows the phone) I just run a scan manually every so often.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
This might be a good read for you.

Virus | The android ship

Here are some bullet points covering what I know about the current android virus scenario

• Over four known cases
  • Most originated from china
  • Most are Trojans
  • Most financially gain
  • Most operate without your knowledge
  • All are in pirated applications
  • All are found in the pirated version of a legitimate application
Don't download from non-market approved apps and you won't have any issues. Hence my "Common sense". So yes, pointless app that will use up battery and resources without any benefits.

Infiniti87

Reaction score
Common sense is your best defense. Antivirus software is pointless on android,bb and iphone.

This.

There is no point to run anti-virus software on android. Just be careful where you download apps from if you decide to download apps from a website or other file instead of the market. Task killers are also pointless and WILL slow down your Bionic. I managed to use Advanced Task Killer on my OG Droid with success but i tried it on the Bionic and it dogged the entire system. Plus you already have a built in task killer if you need to use it (its in your app drawer called Task Manager). You can also go to "Manage Apps" in the settings menu and manually clear the cache for any app you want. The browser for one stores alot of unneeded information. As to the outside of the phone, just dont go throwing it around and you shouldnt have a problem. You can use a screen protector if you want but you dont need one with the Gorilla Glass. I personally dont use screen protectors because i don't like the way they make the screen look. I feel they take away from the clarity of the screen. I never used one on my OG Droid and I don't have a single scratch or scuff on the screen after 2 years of use. I do use cases. I have the Incipio 2 piece case for the Bionic and love it. If your using a case however I would periodically take it off the phone( I take mine off every couple of days) and clean out the dust and lint and dirt that gets underneath the case because it will overtime affect the finish of your phone. Im real protective over my electronics and do my best to keep them looking and performing just like new.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've only had my Bionic for a few days, but I had my Droid 1 for almost two years and I found that the Droid 1 really, really liked to be rebooted once every day or so. It seemed that regardless of which rom I was running, the Droid would get sluggish and sometimes "buggy" if not rebooted regularly. YMMV!!

Good luck.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've only had my Bionic for a few days, but I had my Droid 1 for almost two years and I found that the Droid 1 really, really liked to be rebooted once every day or so. It seemed that regardless of which rom I was running, the Droid would get sluggish and sometimes "buggy" if not rebooted regularly. YMMV!!

Good luck.
With 1GB of ram you should never have to reboot this thing. I never rebooted my Droid X and it only had 512MB.