Bought Droid from Go Wireless - Did I Make a Mistake?

shademar

Reaction score
what if they are a premium retailer? will vzw stores help you

That's a good question. I plan to call Verizon tomorrow and get some clarification.

Thanks for the info fjabjr...I'd be curious as to whether they offer insurance through asurion as well. I've never carried insurance on a phone until now, but I can't imagine not having it now.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
when through this whole situation at an "Authorized Reseller" place with AT&T once. NEVER AGAIN! I did my business with a verizon store to get my Droid. Those stores lie about everything from the phone features, to your contract. I found out after 3 days and returned everything, got my money back, ended my contract, and went to an official AT&T store (this was back in like 03'). I recommend everyone to stay away from those stores and do business with the direct company store.

GiantDroid

Reaction score
Just for those of us who are truly clueless, what's the harm in buying your droid from a non-'premium retailer?'

I think the only issues would be warranty/repair stuff. An official Verizon store will not accept a phone bought from a non-verizon retail store for any warranty issues. You will have to return to the store you purchased from. When would this be an issue?...let's say you bought from a store in Colorado and traveled to the east coast only to drop your phone in the hotel toilet. You're then screwed because the Verizon store won't help you out.

I've done some more research and found that GoWireless has a decent reputation and there are many GoWireless stores around where I live and where I would most likely travel. So I feel a bit better. I still feel silly because the GoWireless looks just like a real Verizon store which is where I thought I was and thought I was buying from.

If GoWireless is using the Verizon branding, most likely VZW will have no problems with honoring warranty claims.

I bought my Droid from Best Buy but went to the Verizon store when I shattered the screen. Verizon replaced the phone for $50 with no questions asked. I'm fairly certain Best Buy would have laughed me out the door.

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
I bought my Droid from the Kiosk in Coscto. It was $50 cheaper than the Verizon store, came with accessories (car charger, headset and case), no activation fee and a $25 mail in rebate. There's no problem in buying from a reputable third party, they will honor warranties just like the corporate stores do.

OP
F

fjabjr

Reaction score
Follow up: I did speak to a Verizon customer service agent today. I explained my concern and he informed me that as long as I was a Verizon customer that any official Verizon retail outlet would handle any warranty claims. Anyway, GoWireless seems like a pretty reputable "inderect" Verizon dealer so I think my initial fears have been put to rest.

I didn't purchase it yet but the Verizon all-inclusive insurance package costs $7.99/month plus an $89.00 deductible if they are replacing a lost or stolen phone.

pdm0376

Reaction score
I bought mine from a go wireless as well. Their an authorized dealer so there's no difference in them and buying from a verizon store except that you have to wait 30 days before having anything technical stuff done with your phone at a verizon store. plus I got a charger and two protective covers at no charge so I'm all good.

xjman349

Reaction score
The only thing you ready need to worry about is an extra early termination fee. Verizon wireless will honor all warrantee claims etc.

OP
F

fjabjr

Reaction score
I bought mine from a go wireless as well. Their an authorized dealer so there's no difference in them and buying from a verizon store except that you have to wait 30 days before having anything technical stuff done with your phone at a verizon store. plus I got a charger and two protective covers at no charge so I'm all good.

Did you purchase insurance when you bought your phone? If so did you get through Verizon or the through GoWireless? I've never bought insurance for a phone before but I've never had a phone that would be as expensive to replace as the Droid so I think before 30 days is out, I'm going to do it. Just wondering if you had to deal with GoWireless and an insurance claim.

Thanks

pdm0376

Reaction score
Yeah I bought insurance for the phone and it was $70 for 1 year warranty. It's through Protect Cell. I never get insurance on phones myself but like you said, this phone being the price it is, I didn't want to get stuck with a $600 bill if something happened that wasn't covered otherwise. Plus I said to myself, my luck I won't insure it and something will happen just because it's an expensive phone.

dailyen

Reaction score
gowireless is legit

gowireless is a reputible retailer of verizon, they carry many stores on both coasts, they dont have wait times, and they are pretty friendly most times. i was very happy with my service compared to the corporate lackys down the road, they answered all of my questions, and gave some great advice. i went to the corporate store afterwards to see if they were as good as they seemed. and they were, it was sad because none of the so called "Corporate" people knew hardly anything. and then they tried to put me on a family plan by myself! thats rediculous! then after i brought up that i went to an indirect person they tried to perverbally bash them even though my eyes were already opened!

well verizon corporate stores, you really failed your company, while this small company really shined to help your business!