Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
This News is not a surprise to me because I always knew that the phones had tracking.. When you have apps like chaperone which let you know where your children are and GPS can let you know where you are located. If it from your phone you can always be tracked. goes to a satellite...

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Preach,

Just want to technically add to your "goes to a satellite".

The GPS satellites are only one way devices in that they each send a data stream to your device. When you have at least 3-4 satellites the gps program on the phone is then able to make a mathematical triangulation calculation of where you are by where the satellites are.

Once the phone knows where it is at, then the data would have to be transmitted via cellular tower to where it is going. As a side note, I have used a program called Droidwall to individually shut down specific applications use of the 3g network.

Craig

Asperity

Reaction score
Google had the option to opt-in or opt-out built in to android from the start, but Apple did not give their iCustomers an option.

And it's a good thing they don't. Bin Laden's compulsive use of Foursquare on his iPhone finally caught up to him.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate....knowing/agreeing that Google could track your location is different from saving the data and uploading it for use.

And, as opt-outs go, that's a pretty lousy choice. Sure, you're getting a free service and nothing is really free so you give up something. But for many key features being mostly useless without your location, opting-out isn't really an option.

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I would like to know how these people were "damaged" by the use of this location tracking and how they were damaged up to $50M! I know that when I got my phone, I checked all the settings. I turned off those settings that informed of my location. Also, I don't use Shopkick or Foursquare or the Twitter location thingee.

So long as *I* know where I am, I'm good. I don't need anyone following me electronically.