Google Offices in South Korea Raided Because of "Location Tracking"

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Location-tracking-leads-to-raid-on-Google-office-in-South-Korea.jpg

Wow! Just when you think you can't be surprised...

Google's offices in Seoul, South Korea were raided today. The South Korean police are investigating Google's subsidiary, AdMob, because according to a South Korean police officer, "We suspect AdMob collected personal location information without consent or approval from the Korean Communication Commission." Google has said they will cooperate fully with the investigation.

The source of this article also had this to say,
South Korean officials opened investigations of Google starting with the company's use of its "Street View" cars to collect private data. Last month, South Korean internet portals complained to anti-trust regulators that Google's position in the mobile search engine market was anti-competitive.

Apparently, AdMob's data location tracking is a technology that simply has a double-edged sword. The info gathered by AdMob is simply designed to assist Google in personalizing ads to smartphones based on location and personal preferences. Kim Kwang-jo, a computer science professor at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology had this to say, "Every technology has a flip side. Location-based services benefit customers by helping them find nearby restaurants, gas stations and other places with their smartphones. But it could potentially violate consumer privacy. There are loopholes in location-based services, and companies should get consent from customers to collect location data."

And the drama continues...

Source: AndroidTablets.net via PhoneArena and Reuters

kptphalkon

Reaction score
If someone would illustrate the downsides to this, I am all ears. I personally keep location tracking off unless needed by navigation, and have adfree android updated every other week. This doesnt bother me, and people have the freedom to opt out.

Again, what are the unmentioned negatives to this service? Nobody seems to be able to talk about that, just the 'tracking is a bad bad no-no' remarks.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
If someone would illustrate the downsides to this, I am all ears. I personally keep location tracking off unless needed by navigation, and have adfree android updated every other week. This doesnt bother me, and people have the freedom to opt out.

Again, what are the unmentioned negatives to this service? Nobody seems to be able to talk about that, just the 'tracking is a bad bad no-no' remarks.

I don't see any downside either. 1) Google allows you to opt-out, and 2) it's anonymous data, you cannot be identified by it anyway. If it fell into malicious hands, they would not be able to determine any information whatsoever specifically about the user, nor does Google have any information about the user. It is location data only.

I think it's much ado about nothing, and also a way for people to sue Google for $50M because they feel their privacy has been violated :icon_rolleyes:

Droid101

Reaction score
I think people are just making this whole location tracking more than it has to be. Honestly who cares if google knows a phone is in X location? Google never knows who it is nor is google out spying on people. :)

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Google should just cut off services to south korea after this shenanigans.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
The cut off human finger in Wendy's chili was also a classic lawsuit.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I ask these questions out of honest ignorance.

Google does know who is logged into which device. If they also log where each device is (telling us it is anonymous) do we know that it is? Has anyone verified that the logged location data is actually anonymous?

Many Apple fanbois took Steve Jobs at his word a little while back when he categorically stated that Apple absolutely "did not have sexual relations with that woman, Monica..." umm I mean absolutely did not log where people's devices had been. It was not until it was unequivocally demonstrated that they were indeed tracking locations and storing the data that Jobs stated they were going to change some things and release an update.

Has anyone verified that the data Google is collecting is, indeed, anonymous and they're not pulling a Jobs also?