Booting multiple roms....

sk8

Reaction score
If you have multiple roms backed up and you want to switch between roms do you still need to wipe data and cache before switching?
I've got multiple backups but have ran each rom off a clean install. Before I boot back to Rubix I'd like to know if I need to wipe data and cache first thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

droidxchat

Reaction score
If you have multiple roms backed up and you want to switch between roms do you still need to wipe data and cache before switching?
I've got multiple backups but have ran each rom off a clean install. Before I boot back to Rubix I'd like to know if I need to wipe data and cache first thanks.

nandroid backups shouldn't require wipes of anything, someone correct me if I'm wrong

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Before restoring a backup always wipe data and cache. Same as when installing a ROM, you don't want data from one ROM mixing with another. Alway wipe.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
S

sk8

Reaction score
I figured to be safe you should wipe data and cache before going back to another backup but was unsure if it was only neccessary on initial install.
Anyone else? One Yes and one No.
Ill wait until more people chime in. Or if someone could direct me to a source, I did search but not high and low.
Is no one switching between multiple roms on a regular basis?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
If planning on switching from one ROM being ran to another you have stored as a backup, yes, you do a wipe.

You won't "lose"anything because your restore will place the ROM in question back on the phone with the data at the time of the backup.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I switch all the time. Here's how I can best put it. You make a backup and wipe. Don't like the ROM has a few issues for you. You restore your backup without wiping. The data causing the issues is still there and still on your phone. You don't want data mixing from one ROM to another. Even more so if going back and forth between froyo and GB ROMS.
Besides, why not wipe, its not a big step. You won't have to set anything up when restoring your backup,everything returns as it was when you made the backup. Home screens, apps, setting, everything.
Wiping between flashing anything is a "best practice" type thing.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
S

sk8

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm not bothered by wiping data and cache just wanted to be clear. I've been in a few bootloops and wanted to avoid them.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Wiping is the best way to avoid issues....and remember....wipe front to back ;)

Sent from somewhere...

OP
S

sk8

Reaction score
Yikes. I must have been doing it wrong, all this time..... are you sure it front to back and not back to front?
Thanks Stafford.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
No problem man.....always here to help :D

Sent from somewhere...