Blur is getting a bad rap.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As said above, if you dislike the default launcher just install launcher pro or adw from the market. The launcher is closer to stock.

Renaming all the blur apps, if you are rooted I would just get titanium and freeze them all, and use launcherpro widget.

bizzshow

Reaction score
I use vista that's probably why I get the popup its ok just stop using pc mode

Kamokazi

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Blur in concept for the most part. What I have a problem with is Blur breaking several things that work great stock.

The frustrating part is blur is not there to enhance the user experience as much as it is to make it different so people get used to Moto's 'experience' and therefore continue to buy Moto phones. And overall, that will work because 95% of Droid users are not the people like us.

CrypticDroid

Reaction score
There are only a few features in which blur surprisingly came through for me.
my most loved added feature is the ability to hang-up a phone call via the notification bar. MUCH needed, IMHO.
I do happen to like the color enhancements of the icons in the notification bar as opposed to vanilla androids b&w icons, it's refreshing.

What I DO NOT like is:
The lock screens dark blue unlock/sound buttons... I think they're an eyesore.
the aforementioned handling of contacts and facebook.
my biggest peeve happens to be the Gallery. I. Can. Not. Stand. Moto. Blur's. Gallery. App. It's slow, isn't as "pretty" as vanilla... I want to say more, but I feel like i'm beating a dead horse on this one.
The bloatware would also be nice if it would just go... *poof* but I can ignore those easier than other things.

I do happen to like the Camera app though :)

everstar80

Reaction score
I agree with you there was so much bashing about the droid2 but I love my phone compared to the jurassic lg ally. I did the same thing in regards to stopping programs that I don't use and it is better everyday.

Dragoro

Reaction score
my most loved added feature is the ability to hang-up a phone call via the notification bar. MUCH needed, IMHO.
I do happen to like the color enhancements of the icons in the notification bar as opposed to vanilla androids b&w icons, it's refreshing.

What I DO NOT like is:
my biggest peeve happens to be the Gallery. I. Can. Not. Stand. Moto. Blur's. Gallery. App. It's slow, isn't as "pretty" as vanilla... I want to say more, but I feel like i'm beating a dead horse on this one.
The bloatware would also be nice if it would just go... *poof* but I can ignore those easier than other things.

Just get the apk for the 2.1 gallery. Thats what I did. It works fine.

CrypticDroid

Reaction score
I CAN get the apk? I tried asking in another thread and no one replied :/

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

What I DO NOT like is:

This amazes me...I love the new Gallery, very fast, doesn't show me a bunch of junk I don't want to see. So much better than the 2.1 Gallery for me.

CrypticDroid

Reaction score

You helped me a ton, but I realized that this apk doesn't support multi-touch... which inspired me to dig around.

Froyo Gallery App - Get it here - Android Forums

(unfortunately it looks as if you're required to register a forum account before you're allowed to download)

This is the first link I found with 2.2 Stock Gallery, and it works the way it should. I had to uninstall 2.1 Gallery, for some reason even though it claimed it installed, the gallery still acted like 2.1.

The only issue I've run into is that when I'm in the Camera app and I hit the photo that I took last, it boots up the stock Gallery app and it throws the photos in a different order. When I boot up the gallery directly, the photos show up in the correct order...

Any idea? I don't know if it matters, but I didn't set the gallery as the default app yet.

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
My Droid 2 is the first Android-based phone I've had, so I can't compare it to a non-Motoblur phone.

But, I've had a long line of smartphones --Kyocera 7135 (PalmOS), Treo 650, 700, 755, and Blackberry Tour 9630. So far, I've found the Droid 2 beats them in almost every area --there are only a few spots where the Blackberry had more polish, something I think will be rectified over time as the Android platform matures.

EDIT: I could have chosen other Droid-based phones. But, I wanted the tactile keyboard, and didn't truly need an AMOLED screen (plus, battery life was more important).