Bluetooth issues

ZPrime

Reaction score
I can also use the voice command on the phone screen (lower right icon) or use the earpiece to initiate. Both work.

When you initiate using the earpiece, you should be getting the Nuance voice system (pops up an entirely black window with white text, covering the entire screen).

Long-pressing the spyglass icon gives you the Google voice search, which is a "pop-up" window that doesn't cover the entire screen and has a help and cancel button.

Correct?

You can trigger the Nuance system by double-pressing the Home icon (most people don't know this and it isn't well documented). You can change what a double-tap of Home does in the settings though.

From what I can tell, the Nuance system does always work through Bluetooth, although on my headset it is VERY VERY quiet. I have a Plantronics Voyager 510. It was picking up voice from the headset though as I had covered the mic hole on the phone with my thumb.

I haven't tested the Google system with the headset yet, but the headset's "voice dial" button is triggering the Nuance application anyway (not Google's app).

Cairo

Reaction score
When you initiate using the earpiece, you should be getting the Nuance voice system (pops up an entirely black window with white text, covering the entire screen).

Long-pressing the spyglass icon gives you the Google voice search, which is a "pop-up" window that doesn't cover the entire screen and has a help and cancel button.

Correct?

Yep.

You can trigger the Nuance system by double-pressing the Home icon (most people don't know this and it isn't well documented). You can change what a double-tap of Home does in the settings though.

I did not know this. Cool to know.

I can access the voice command through the Bluetooth by double tapping the home icon, or the voice command button on the phone screen or from my BT earpiece. It does not work 100% of the time, however. Maybe 95%. But I just re-try and it's fine

Jeff7314

Reaction score
I, too, have to double-tap the home button to activate the voice commands (Plantronics Voyager 520) when I used to only press the on/off button. It works ok for making phone calls, but it does not work well for Voice Texting/Messaging. I'm finding that I have to keep pressing the microphone button and finally the send button on the phone as opposed to "send text (name) (mobile 1) > (message)". Oh well. Also, make sure that you've adapted your phone to your own voice.

coolvoodoo

Reaction score
I agree with Cairo above. Very flakey implementation. I use a Motorola H690 which worked perfectly with my V9m. The Droid 2 sometimes responds through the headset, but 95% of the time it doesn't. When it does, it is so quiet you can barely hear it. After you tell the phone what you want, it does work through the headset, but that is not voice dialing through bluetooth, which is what Android 2.2 was supposed to do and why I bought the Droid 2. I feel like I bought an iphone, it's great as long as you don't want to make a phone call. I also paired it with a Motorola BT-820 stereo headphone/headset with the same results. Then I tried a Jabra 3020 which didn't work at all. I'm not sure why they thought this actually worked, but maybe Android 2.3 will get it right. I sure hope so, because I'm very disappointed with this.

Cairo

Reaction score
I have played with this more, and found that my Droid and BT will not connect the first time after a power up. The phone won't ring, either. It says there's a missed call, but no ring.

Subsequent calls ring as they should and connect to the BT just fine.

marlowe1

Reaction score
More Bluetooth issues...

Because of a workplace policy, I need to use Microsoft Security on the phone which requires a code is entered to access any applications.
The Bluetooth works when the phone is "unlocked" but will only access "phone layer" funtions (last number redial or answer incoming) if the device is locked (self locks after aprox 10 min). It requires manual intervention to unlock and then access voice command using the headset. Since I live in NY, we are not supposed to have a phone in our hands while driving. Since I use my phone frequently while driving it's been a real pain.

tdufy

Reaction score
I have a Jawbone Icon and can't voice dial. When I hold the talk button for the 2 seconds, it says "voice dialing" and calls the last number. It's tough to search for a number and drive a stick.

Anyone having this problem?

bjdzyak

Reaction score
My new Droid 2 (R2D2 edition) doesn't "see" my Jabra Jawbone bluetooth headset. I can't even get to the point where I can attempt to "pair" it with the phone.

I have seen the Droid "see" other bluetooth devices, so I know that "discovery" is working. But not with my headset. Any ideas?

Thanks!

coolvoodoo

Reaction score
Still playing with Voice Dialing over Bluetooth on my Droid 2 with Android 2.2. Have now been using a Motorola H790 which works really well about 98% of the time. The headset is perfect, light, good sound, etc. Still occasionally get the phone requesting a command instead of the headset. Just got a Motorola H17txt which uses Motospeak to read your texts and emails to you over your headset. We'll see how that goes......

Cairo

Reaction score
THis is very annoying still. In my D2, The phone sees the Jawbone Icon earpiece. "Paired but not connected" is listed on the phone.

Very annoying

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
THis is very annoying still. In my D2, The phone sees the Jawbone Icon earpiece. "Paired but not connected" is listed on the phone.

Very annoying

Seems like you need to just connect it. Have you gone through the steps on the Droid to pair it? Have you Jawbone Icon set for pairing then have it search for it. It will either pair automatically or ask for a code, usually 0000, and you should be paired and connected. Paired but not connected would be correct if headset is turned off.

I have a inexpensive Plantonics Voyager 510 headset and it works great.

Cairo

Reaction score
Hey HB

I've had the two (D2 and earpiece) for quite a while. It's just after charging one, re-starting phone, etc, they "see" each other but don't connect. The earpiece says it's waiting for the phone.

For example, just now I had to power down the phone (remove battery) and fuss with both the earpiece and phone to get them connected.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey HB

I've had the two (D2 and earpiece) for quite a while. It's just after charging one, re-starting phone, etc, they "see" each other but don't connect. The earpiece says it's waiting for the phone.

For example, just now I had to power down the phone (remove battery) and fuss with both the earpiece and phone to get them connected.

Well, I have been able to pair a couple of headsets a Blueant Q1 and my Plantronics with the Droid with really no issue at all. With the blueant all you have to do is say "pair." Next time that happens instead of pulling the battery just try a reset. Battery pulls aren't really needed with Droids.

Cairo

Reaction score
OK. Thanks as always HB. This may well be a Jawbone issue, not a D2 issue, really.

How is the re-set accomplished?

bertbear

Reaction score
Flakey bluetooth

My Droid2 will connect to my Pioneer car stereo bluetooth most of the time. Sometimes I have to cycle bluetooth off then back on, on the phone to get it to connect. That I can live with, but frequently it uses the phone speaker and mic instead of the bluetooth speaker and mic despite being connected. The phone will ring, the controls show up on the radio screen, I push the answer button and end up having to pick up the phone instead of being hands free. This happens about 75% of the time, wether I initiate the call or receive the call. I have not been able to reliably pinpoint the circumstances, sometimes the first call fails, sometimes it works for several then fails. Very frustrating.

Has anybody else had this problem? Would rooting change anything?