Bluetooth Headset Doesn't Work with Apps

PW_Irvine

Reaction score
My setup:

Phone: Verizon Droid Razr Maxx HD
Bluetooth Headset: Plantronics Discovery 975 (Bluetooth v. 2.1)

My PROBLEM: No audio from TuneIn Radio Pro, iHeartRadio, Pandora, or Winamp Pro apps through above referenced Bluetooth headset

I am respectably tech savvy and have tried all of the usual troubleshooting with no success. Bluetooth headset works fine with phone calls, but audio from
apps will only play on phone speaker or through headset jack. I am new to Android devices - what am I overlooking?

cwalter24

Reaction score
Sounds kinda like my problem. If I'm streaming music threw Bluetooth and I receive a call the phone begins to play music threw speaker and ring in bluetooth headset.

JRParsons

Reaction score
My setup:

Phone: Verizon Droid Razr Maxx HD
Bluetooth Headset: Plantronics Discovery 975 (Bluetooth v. 2.1)

My PROBLEM: No audio from TuneIn Radio Pro, iHeartRadio, Pandora, or Winamp Pro apps through above referenced Bluetooth headset

I am respectably tech savvy and have tried all of the usual troubleshooting with no success. Bluetooth headset works fine with phone calls, but audio from
apps will only play on phone speaker or through headset jack. I am new to Android devices - what am I overlooking?

As best as I can determine, the plantronics 975 does not support the A2DP bluetooth profile, which is required to listen to media audio. Unfortunately, I think your going to need a new headset if you want to listen to music etc.

OP
PW_Irvine

PW_Irvine

Reaction score
I have owned my Plantronics 975 headset for about a year and have very frequently used it to listen to TuneIn Radio and iHeartRadio from my (now retired) BlackBerry Bold 9650 phone, so I know that it can deliver (narrow band) media audio. The 975 is a terrific headset and I would hate to have to stop using it. However, I agree that it doesn't seem to be compatible with my new Razr Maxx HD (due to the 975's lack of A2DP profile compliance), other than for phone call usage. Can anyone recommend a good mono A2DP Bluetooth headset w/mic (in an earbud form factor if at all possible) that is known to work well with the Razr Maxx HD?

Many thanks to all of you for your responses!

OP
PW_Irvine

PW_Irvine

Reaction score
Problem was as suggested. That is, the Plantronics Discovery 975 is not A2DP profile compliant. Too bad, pretty much a great headset otherwise, but now it is clearly functionally obsolete. Anyway, after much headset shopping (in the $50 to $130 range) I replaced it with a Plantronics Marque 2 M165, with which I am very pleased. I would recommend the M165 as a good replacement headset for the 975 due to its 975-like "ear bud" form factor, small size, and very light weight. The Marque 2 M165 also gets louder than the Discovery 975, which I find really comes in handy at the airport. As an extra bonus, my wife and friends say that I sound clearer on the M165 than I did on my 975.

As for why Plantronics is still selling the Discovery 975 when it lacks smart phone functionality, I have no idea.