Bluetooth headset charger

dajakal

Reaction score
I had a BT headset that came with a wall charger. The plug is micro USB, so I figured it would work with the Droid, but when I plug it in, it doesn't register it as charging. Anything special about the Verizon chargers I need to know?

OP
D

dajakal

Reaction score
Well, just checked the chargers and the headset is 5.1v/180mA, and the moto one is 5.1/850. Guess that current makes a difference. The phone charger works with the headset, but not the other way around.

timh2870

Reaction score
Phone charger might cook the headset. The charging circuit in those things, especially the lower end models, is kind of dumb. That's why the instructions say to charge the headset for no more than two hours. As for the droid not recognizing the headset charger, it needs the data pins shorted and the id pin tied to ground with a 100K resistor to recognize that a charger is connected.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, just checked the chargers and the headset is 5.1v/180mA, and the moto one is 5.1/850. Guess that current makes a difference. The phone charger works with the headset, but not the other way around.
180mA versus 850mA? Yes, quite a bit of difference. Charging the Droid from a PC's USB port is already slow and powered USB ports provide 500mA.