Blocking Mode is Present and Working on the Verizon Note 2!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well, bad news folks. It seems that while we can indeed get to Blocking Mode, it doesn't appear to be fully functional. When I first found it and tested it out, it successfully blocked the calls I made from my computer via Gmail and Skype. But after some further tests this afternoon, it didn't actually block any calls made by some friends via their cell phones. So, while it's there, it doesn't seem like it's fully functional. At the very least, maybe this gives us some hope for someone out there to find a way to get it working consistently or that Verizon will enable it in a future update.

I was playing around with one of my favorite apps Any Cut. Regrettably, Any Cut (which isn't available in the Play Store any more) doesn't work correctly on Jelly Bean, but it works enough to be able to take a look at many of the shortcuts it's able to find. And low and behold, Blocking Mode was in the list. Since I couldn't get Any Cut to work properly in order to access it, I found another app on the Play Store that operates in much the same way that Any Cut does - QuickShortcutMaker.

No root required!

Here's how to get to it:

1) Download QuickShortcutMaker from the Play Store. (Note: the app closed on me a few times while trying to use it, but it eventually worked)

2) After QuickShortcutMaker installs, open it up.

3) Type "blocking mode" in the text field. The app is pretty slow when it comes to populating the available shortcuts, so it might take a little bit. Once it finishes, tap on the first result at the top (It will say "Settings" with Blocking mode underneath it.

4) Rename the shortcut to whatever you want. It's named "Settings" by default, and I changed mine to "Blocking Mode."

5) Tap "OK."

6) You'll now have a shortcut on your homescreen that will take you right into Blocking Mode (the icon will be a cog just like the Settings icon). Open it up and and block away! (Note: the shortcut on your homescreen will be the only way to access Blocking Mode, so if you delete it, you'll have to create a new one in order to get back into the settings for it)

Known issues:

The app will force close when trying to add contacts to the custom allowed contact list. But it seems to work fine when selecting "Favorites" as opposed to creating a new custom list. So if adding contacts to a custom list is force closing for you, add the contacts that you want to come through to your general favorites list when Blocking Mode is enabled, and then use the Favorites option in the Blocking Mode settings.

Attachments

• BlockingMode.jpg
    BlockingMode.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 553

Caesars

Reaction score
Checking now! Good find!

Edit: confirmed and working!
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Awesome find.. Works perfectly and was quick.. You can also change icon to anything you want from your icons..
metymu7u.jpg
ny6a5uhe.jpg

《Take Note2 BK's here..》

steeletown

Reaction score
Thanks. It also works on the jelly bean leak for the S3. How do you change the icon?

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks. It also works on the jelly bean leak for the S3. How do you change the icon?

I don't think you can through the stock Touch Whiz. You'll either need to be using a custom launcher or have root access.

steeletown

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
I don't think you can through the stock Touch Whiz. You'll either need to be using a custom launcher or have root access.

It works. I'm on stock and it works perfect.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+

I'm on Nova launcher... Let me mess with Touchwiz now..

Edit: it works just tap the icon in the app.. Choose from your gallery

《Take Note2 BK's here..》

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm on Nova launcher... Let me mess with Touchwiz now..

《Take Note2 BK's here..》

You can't on stock Touch Whiz. I don't know of any OEM skins that allow you to natively change the icons without root.

steeletown

Reaction score
I think I misunderstood you mean you can't change your icon unless your rooted and running a custom ROM

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I think I misunderstood you mean you can't change your icon unless your rooted and running a custom ROM

That's not quite what I meant, but almost. :) You can change icons if you're rooted or if you're running a custom ROM, but you can also change your icons if you're running a custom launcher. A custom launcher is an app that replaces the stock launcher and can be installed and used without root. Three of the most popular options are Nova, Apex, and GoLauncher. If you're running one of those, you can change nearly everything about how your device looks and many things about how it operates. With one of those, you can change your icons as well.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Nice find! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

You can change the icon while setting up the shortcut (within the quickshortcut app)...

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Nice find! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

You can change the icon while setting up the shortcut (within the quickshortcut app)...

Well that makes sense. I was so excited about finding blocking mode that I didn't even bother messing around with the options in QuickShortcutMaker. :biggrin:

spydergirl

Reaction score
I was playing around with one of my favorite apps Any Cut. Regrettably, Any Cut (which isn't available in the Play Store any more) doesn't work correctly on Jelly Bean, but it works enough to be able to take a look at many of the shortcuts it's able to find. And low and behold, Blocking Mode was in the list. Since I couldn't get Any Cut to work properly in order to access it, I found another app on the Play Store that operates in much the same way that Any Cut does - QuickShortcutMaker. And guess what? Blocking Mode is there and fully functional!

No root required!

Here's how to get to it:

1) Download QuickShortcutMaker from the Play Store. (Note: the app closed on me a few times while trying to use it, but it eventually worked)

2) After QuickShortcutMaker installs, open it up.

3) Type "blocking mode" in the text field. The app is pretty slow when it comes to populating the available shortcuts, so it might take a little bit. Once it finishes, tap on the first result at the top (It will say "Settings" with Blocking mode underneath it.

4) Rename the shortcut to whatever you want. It's named "Settings" by default, and I changed mine to "Blocking Mode."

5) Tap "OK."

6) You'll now have a shortcut on your homescreen that will take you right into Blocking Mode (the icon will be a cog just like the Settings icon). Open it up and and block away! (Note: the shortcut on your homescreen will be the only way to access Blocking Mode, so if you delete it, you'll have to create a new one in order to get back into the settings for it)

Awesome awesome awesome! Thank you so much! I can't wait to see how well it works when I need it to work. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2