Bloatware

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Man! The Droid 3 is an awesome phone but it is packed with too much bloatware =/.

colbyb25

Reaction score
I agree although I do love the quick contacts widget. If I could only get it working with ADW.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
they got all the vcast crap and a whole bunch of motorola crap added on to this

colbyb25

Reaction score
Ya it does have alot...but I don't care all that much. Devs will get this thing rooted soon enough. As I said though...I love the blur Quick Contact widget and wished it was working on any of the other launchers....ADW or Go Launcher. The rest can go! :)

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Ya it does have alot...but I don't care all that much. Devs will get this thing rooted soon enough. As I said though...I love the blur Quick Contact widget and wished it was working on any of the other launchers....ADW or Go Launcher. The rest can go! :)

Yeah Quick contact is nice. Running ADW now. The new Motoblur isnt that bad. Some of the widgets stink though.

colbyb25

Reaction score

Yeah Quick contact is nice. Running ADW now. The new Motoblur isnt that bad. Some of the widgets stink though.

Have you got ADW to work with Quick Contacts?

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
How do you delete some pre-installed apps? Like I am ever going to use Madden NFL 12! I guess it's what you call "bloatware?" How do you know what can or can't be removed? Do unused apps take up a lot of memory storage?

Thank you.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
How do you delete some pre-installed apps? Like I am ever going to use Madden NFL 12! I guess it's what you call "bloatware?" How do you know what can or can't be removed? Do unused apps take up a lot of memory storage?

Thank you.

If you can uninstall them through the usual method of uninstalling any regular app, they're fine to delete. If you can't, then you need to leave them on the phone (future OTA updates will not install if they aren't there). Currently, if you're not looking to install a custom rom, your best option is to root, install Titanium Backup from the Play store, and freeze the apps. Once the ICS update arrives (and we don't know when that will be), you'll be able to freeze any app - including bloatware - natively from the OS without the need for root or a separate app.

As for unused apps taking up memory storage, that depends on what you're actually asking about. If you're asking about storage, that depends on the size of the app itself. But most of them are relatively small. If you're talking about running memory (ram), none of the bloatware apps use up enough of the memory to make much of a difference in regular day-to-day use.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You'll also find that in android, there are many apps that will start up though you aren't using them. Its just how the system runs(great explanation huh).

To find out if you can delete an app, in the app tray, long press it, a list of options will pop up. On apps like madden, delete is one of the options, for others, if you don't use them, select hide. Then they're out of site :)

Apps in the background don't usually use alot of ram... but it varies from app to app

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
Thank you, both!

I am not sure what "rooting" is or the pros and cons.

How do you know if an app is "secretly' running in the background?

I am glad though that most do not take up much space or slow up the general processing.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
"Rooting is a process allowing users of smartphones, tablets, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem. Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions, or perform other operations that are otherwise inaccessible to a normal Android user"

This is from Wikipedia, the pros of rooting are you get to do whatever you would like to your phone taking away carrier restrictions. The cons are you are voiding your warranty and will have remove all traces of root if your phone needs servicing or replacing. The other con is you can do damage to your phone if you do not do your homework and know what you are doing.

You can open the Task Manager and it will show you all running applications. There are a lot of triggers in Android so that when you do certain things with your phone certain APPS will load by themselves. If you end up rooting a program called Auto Starts is great for finding out exactly what all of those triggers are.

Here is a screen shot to give you an idea what I am talking about.

View attachment 50977

Last edited: