Bloatware apps safe to remove on the Droid 4

GuitarSkater

Reaction score
I don't think that's true in every case. I have it frozen and my Contacts app works properly. I suppose it depends on other factors in your set up but in any case I will remove it from the list

I can confirm this, every time I went into display options on contacts it would crash. I unfroze the yahoo apps and everything is fine now, however i am still unable to sync my facebook contacts... it wont let me add an account?

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
I don't think that's true in every case. I have it frozen and my Contacts app works properly. I suppose it depends on other factors in your set up but in any case I will remove it from the list

The Contacts can be viewed fine but when you try to edit them or open them it will FC. Its just how Moto has made apps co-dependent on each other for no real reason.

Here's the XDA Link with Pete's Debloat Script. It has a nice list of apps that you can remove. Clicky Link

obogobo

Reaction score
Okay, it looks like YahooMailAuthenticaor is the problem with Contacts app and Display Options. At least in my case if Yahoo Contacts and Yahoo Calendar Service are frozen everything works fine. The same is NOT true when disabling the MailAuthenticator though.

As far as Facebook contacts go, if you want images associated with your contacts you're gonna have to use the MotoBlur built in Social Networking app. For whatever reason the official Facebook doesn't pull down contact images and the Accounts Manager won't let you add a Facebook account through the official app, clicking the icon does nothing.

GuitarSkater

Reaction score
I've got a solution (so far) for Facebook contacts.. most likely those having issues with it have frozen the social networking apps... I defrosted all of them and now in my contacts display options I now have Facebook as an option... I'm going to reboot and see if they show up now with pictures

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
I've got a solution (so far) for Facebook contacts.. most likely those having issues with it have frozen the social networking apps... I defrosted all of them and now in my contacts display options I now have Facebook as an option... I'm going to reboot and see if they show up now with pictures
Thanks for the update, added it to the OP. If you can narrow it down further to the app(s) that are needed for Facebook contact sync to work let us know.

GuitarSkater

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, added it to the OP. If you can narrow it down further to the app(s) that are needed for Facebook contact sync to work let us know.

Ive gone and tried everything, those most i can get out of it is when i defrost the social apps. This is the most the accounts screen in contacts/phone accounts for facebook shows;
View attachment 47365
Previously there was an option for syncing all or pre-existing contacts

it seems there is an issue with the facebook API, I spoke to few android gurus about this and they said its not just this phone, others are experiencing it too. Currently while in the facebook settings all i have it this;
View attachment 47364
There used to be a bottom section about syncing contacts and what not.

I have restored previous versions of facebook (1.6.1 and 1.2.6) and neither have that option to sync contacts while installed or when initially running the app for the first time.

I am going to go out on a limb and say its the API getting mixed feelings towards this new pre-loading of social networking sites/authentication on the DROID 4, im going to keep poking around with it tomorrow and get back to everyone on my findings

Last edited:
OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Previously there was an option for syncing all or pre-existing contacts
I think this feature has been absent from new Droid phones for a while. I know my D1 had it but when I was setting up a D2G for someone that option was no longer available.

diablo85

Reaction score
I think this feature has been absent from new Droid phones for a while. I know my D1 had it but when I was setting up a D2G for someone that option was no longer available.

negative, i had the option when setting up my D4 but i declined the sync. it is there.

keeleon

Reaction score
When I freeze messenging I still get the led and notification. When I freeze the email apps it don't get led or notifications.

I will also concur that the the "Email Engine 2.3.6" being frozen caused my texts to not generate notifications.

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
I'm getting contacts storage FC if I freeze Yahoo Mail Authenticator. If I try to deal with anything that pops out the contact options by clicking on a picture, I get a contacts storage FC.

Unfroze Yahoo Mail Authneticator, worked fine.

This is definitely one of those threads where we need a YMMV in all caps and bold at the very top. Heh.

kasouti

Reaction score
I'm getting contacts storage FC if I freeze Yahoo Mail Authenticator. If I try to deal with anything that pops out the contact options by clicking on a picture, I get a contacts storage FC.

Unfroze Yahoo Mail Authneticator, worked fine.

This is definitely one of those threads where we need a YMMV in all caps and bold at the very top. Heh.

I don't think he's ever had the Yahoo Mail Authenticator listed. Although I could be wrong.

diablo85

Reaction score
just a heads up, has anyone else noticed that they dont have "cellular data" listed in their smart action rules after freezing the bloat?

i ask because i noticed it yesterday when i was reading through the smart actions thread that i dont have an option to enable or disable cellular data, so i defrosted allllllll of the bloat that i had frozen and "cellular data" is now in my smart action rules.

does anyone know which app prevents cellular data from showing up in the smart action list?

me_droid

Reaction score
Does anyone understand why the OS calls certain apps up all on its own? Took the plunge and rooted and have been checking running apps/processes and then freezing the ones that I likely will never use. But I don't get why for example, gotomeeting, slacker, social messaging and networking will get called by the OS, rather than me. It seems random to me. If you know why this goes on please let me know - Thanks.