Black screen shows spots on razr.

dustinslee

Reaction score
Anyone noticed this go in a dark room and use ur razr look at a solid black photo ... do you see dark spots...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jdroid80

Reaction score
Nope, I've never noticed that; and I just check right now, too. Maybe temporary image retension? I've heard AMOLED screens may have something like that.

Zandar

Reaction score
They all do that; it's a known byproduct of the current sAMOLED production process. It's really a non-issue, though, since it's only noticeable in a pitch black room with an all black background. I read Kindle in the dark with a black screen and white text at minimum brightness and can't notice any spots whatsoever (though I can see them if it's an all black screen).

Sliced from my RAZR

BALLIN

Reaction score
I notic the same problem. I have 3 sections on my screen that's messed up on the screen when all blacked out with little white contrast in background.

I was thinking about exchanging it for a new one because you never know long term effects.

Would this be a warranty kinda situation within the year?

lukenj

Reaction score
black spots

I see it all the time lots of spots on mine.. I have returned 4 phone so far and everyone seems to have more than the first probably because they are sending me used phone that someone else had a problem with. I work nights and it shows up all the time and frustrates the hell out of me...

Zandar

Reaction score
Like I said above, this is a byproduct of the sAOMLED production process. There are threads on this for the RAZR, SGSII (and its variants), GNex, etc. If it bothers you (I can't notice it in real world usage, but that's my real world usage so ymmv), look at something with an LCD panel. The HTC Rezound has a SuperLCD screen that's nice enough (not the same contrast or vibrance of a sAMOLED), the upcoming LG has a really nice IPS LCD, and the iPhone, of course, has a really nice IPS LCD (made by LG; same as LG's up and coming phone, but the iPhone is only 3.5" to LG's 4.5" at the same pixel density). The Droid 4 will also be LCD, I believe, but a 4" and with a slider keyboard. Bionic is a pentile matrix LCD; many dog it, but it's actually a good screen (just not compared to the really nice ones in the phones I mentioned).

lukenj

Reaction score
blackspot

well I know the nexus has oled and I played with it last night and the screen is flawless!

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
The only way I could see the spots was with a jet black wallpaper image in a very dark room. I don't notice it with nearly dark images or dark places in a movie. Kinda a non-issue.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

lukenj

Reaction score
thats on my razr...but is the maxx better..verizon told me that they changed the screen adhesive on the maxx...but they could be blowing it up my @!$

enkryptik

Reaction score
The razr maxx is no better. Mine has the same crap. Thick lines and some circles... I was worried til at work, I had someone with razr check his and it had same crap. Not so worried after reading this thread. Thanks for the info.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I notic the same problem. I have 3 sections on my screen that's messed up on the screen when all blacked out with little white contrast in background.

I was thinking about exchanging it for a new one because you never know long term effects.

Would this be a warranty kinda situation within the year?
No, not according to Motorola. Motorola has stated that the spots are a result of the manufacturing process and have no short term or long term effect on display performance...therefore not a warranty issue or a defect issue.

bouncindread

Reaction score
Anyone noticed this go in a dark room and use ur razr look at a solid black photo ... do you see dark spots...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Well I had the same issues and I returned my phone. After rooting and installing custom rom on the new ohine I noticed the same spots. I believe its something with the rom.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well I had the same issues and I returned my phone. After rooting and installing custom rom on the new ohine I noticed the same spots. I believe its something with the rom.

Nope, it's not the rom. Read jpcalhoun's post directly above yours:

No, not according to Motorola. Motorola has stated that the spots are a result of the manufacturing process and have no short term or long term effect on display performance...therefore not a warranty issue or a defect issue.

Zandar also gave a more detailed explanation on the first page of the thread, showing that it's common with the type of screen used in the RAZR/RAZR MAXX:

Like I said above, this is a byproduct of the sAOMLED production process. There are threads on this for the RAZR, SGSII (and its variants), GNex, etc. If it bothers you (I can't notice it in real world usage, but that's my real world usage so ymmv), look at something with an LCD panel. The HTC Rezound has a SuperLCD screen that's nice enough (not the same contrast or vibrance of a sAMOLED), the upcoming LG has a really nice IPS LCD, and the iPhone, of course, has a really nice IPS LCD (made by LG; same as LG's up and coming phone, but the iPhone is only 3.5" to LG's 4.5" at the same pixel density). The Droid 4 will also be LCD, I believe, but a 4" and with a slider keyboard. Bionic is a pentile matrix LCD; many dog it, but it's actually a good screen (just not compared to the really nice ones in the phones I mentioned).