Black Screen Of Death Continues on to Razr Maxx!!! What is going on Motorola!!!!!

Zandar

Reaction score
I've had lockups happen on every electronic device ever, from my RAZR to an iPad to a PSX and everything in between. I don't get what the big deal is. My RAZR is actually pretty good; only happened once in the 3+ months I've had it, and I use the hell out of this thing and rarely ever reboot.

Sliced from my RAZR

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had lockups happen on every electronic device ever, from my RAZR to an iPad to a PSX and everything in between. I don't get what the big deal is. My RAZR is actually pretty good; only happened once in the 3+ months I've had it, and I use the hell out of this thing and rarely ever reboot.

Sliced from my RAZR

I agree. As long as its not frequent, it isn't a big deal IMO. While it should work perfect in an ideal world, but this isn't an ideal world with flawless products.

MIUI 2012.2.29

OP
M

monkey_man

Reaction score
Hmm this is interesting new news .... I understood that every products have its flaws and so perhaps every stores need to remove return policy. Good to know! I had it once no big deal ... let's hope just happen this once. Toyota CEOs need no crying and apologizing in the US Senate floor after all ... what a waste of time to watch that on national TV... Should move on with life :icon_ banana: as long as it doesn't happen nor involve yourself.

OP
M

monkey_man

Reaction score
Darn it... now it sounds like bunch of rants and defending myself out of nothing. I created this in order to try to troubleshoot and see if there are other who had experienced one as I read in other forums. Since this forum is huge for Android users, I thought posting this should be sufficient. Unlike when I had Bionic, I know this time that am out of luck and must take responsibility since I rooted my phone.

OP
M

monkey_man

Reaction score
Please read my similar thread here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/201404-maxx-shuts-off-itself-false-low-battery.html

Can you tell me if what is described in my original post is the BSOD as disussed here or something different?

Here's the key words from your post:

"But putting it on the charger made the phone restart." Mine didn't do this.. I need to do Power +Vol.Down in order to make the phone wakes up from sleep mode, then I have similar symptom like yours where the battery icon still green. What you need to do is perhaps removing battery stat.bin in order to have proper battery reading in the future. I wonder if your phone is rooted tho.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Here's the key words from your post:

"But putting it on the charger made the phone restart." Mine didn't do this.. I need to do Power +Vol.Down in order to make the phone wakes up from sleep mode, then I have similar symptom like yours where the battery icon still green. What you need to do is perhaps removing battery stat.bin in order to have proper battery reading in the future. I wonder if your phone is rooted tho.

MM, did you go through the charging sequence I mentioned on that thread...? My post is here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...off-itself-false-low-battery.html#post2044400

I suggest you try at least one full charge with the phone powered off, followed by use of the phone until it shows "Low battery". Then power off and charge again. This may very well resolve all the issues. It's at least worth a try?! ;)

bullswife98

Reaction score
I am wondering if this got resolved? I have been reading on other threads and I may have come across an issue that might be the reason for the BSOD, if you have a replacement launcher installed and you are using it a third party launcher,(and not the stock one) when you uninstall it ( the third party launcher) the stock will not reset as a default launcher therefore giving you what appears to be a BSOD. It is a known issue (it won't let you set a default home) and if you install Moto Home Fixer (free in the market) it will fix this issue. Unfortunately you have to have this before you uninstall the launcher but it could be the reason for why it is happening. Just an fyi.

Edit; This happens due to it having blur on these phones. Forgot to add that in there. Seen you found thread disregard.

Sent from my Droid Razr to your eyes! :)

Last edited:
OP
M

monkey_man

Reaction score
I don't need to do anything too complicated :D:D:D I just used a rebooter app every time I locked my phone, and so far the phone is slick! :icon_ lala::icon_ lala: Technologies these days... Companies release new products in a flash for quick cash but end up making consumers troubleshooting end product themselves :blink::blink::mad:

insink71

Reaction score
Black Screen of Death [BSOD]

PITA..
Solution: on Razr models [where battery not accessible/glued in], hold volume down & power at the same time for 10 secs. Does a force reboot [same thing as a battery pull on Bionic]
Cause: No clear cut answer.. would have to hook it to a computer and have the error occur while dmesg/logcatting.. since it occurs randomly, there are only theories. Most logical one to me.. or the one I'd explore first if I owned this device is.. the 3G to LTE handoff.. so if you are in a 4G area but lower reception and it toggles back and forth [your actually switching from a (native) cdma signal to a gsm (sim controlled) signal]. This has caused issues in other manufacturers' phones with Verizon, but manifests itself in different ways.

Anyway other than theories, there doesn't seem to be anything concrete out there yet. My dad got a Razr M (and had the BSOD occur); so, I been searching. ;)

Regards,
Rob

Last edited:
Reaction score
Motorola RAZR Maxx Screen Keeps Going Black

Interesting,

Same problem here with my RAZR Maxx, it has gotten progressively worse over past few months to a point that it does not work at all once screen is turned off, as in hitting power button after call to turn off screen, but it won't come back on unless I reboot. I don't use the phone much away from computer, so I leave it plugged into USB port and set screen to stay on as long as it is plugged into computer, so I can at least deal with it, but phone is useless when not plugged in. Screen can only be set to stay on for 10 min., and as soon as it goes off, won't come back on. Phone can still receive calls, but I cannot answer them. Total pain in the ass since contract is not up for another six months. I have totally stock phone, very few apps added which never gave a problem when downloaded. Any idea which app may be causing this issue since it is consistent, not a problem with phone as I see it.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Reaction score
I have had the BSOD about 3 times ......

I had to use the power button and vol down to boot it back up and I had plenty of battery time left when it booted up.

A bit more information for ya....... I just changed the battery in my RAZR and thought perhaps I wouldn't have that happen again but it did happen with a new battery... and I installed the new EB20 battery exactly like the old was installed with adhesive etc etc etc. Phone has been great since the battery change and I have much better battery life than the original EB20 battery. It just did this BSOD yesterday. I got out of the car and put the phone in my jacket pocket and upon re-entering the car I took out my phone and saw it was BSOD. Rebooted and all is fine since then.

Reaction score
Interesting,

Didn't know you could change battery, learn something every day, thanks. Don't know if that is my problem since I have it plugged into my laptop 90% of the time, and battery is always fully charged, so I don't suspect it is battery issue. Wish I knew what it is, but so far no luck, have to reboot it everytime screens goes off, and sadly, when you are using phone, the screen always goes off and I cannot hang up until I reboot to power back up screen before it works. This will be my last motorola for I had problems with every model I ever owned.

Thanks,