birthday error

Lenagainster

Reaction score
If I look up the information on any given contact on my Rezound, the birthdate shown is one day later than the actual birthdate. If I go to the edit mode, the birthdate shows up correctly. Any ideas what is wrong?

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Maybe, file default settings are locked.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Maybe, file default settings are locked. ....!

I don't understand what you mean by "file default settings" and how they are "locked".

Let me restate the problem. On most, but not all, of my contacts, the information which was synced from Google contacts, both birthdates and anniversary dates show up as one day later than the actual date. If I go to the edit mode, the correct date shows. Even if I delete the date shown in the edit mode and re-enter it, upon going back to the contact, the incorrect date is shown. If I go to my contacts via Google, where the correct date is shown, re-enter it, the incorrect date shows on the Rezound contact. I force a re-sync with my Google contacts, and no correction is made. I never entered the incorrect date, so why does the Rezound show the incorrect date, always one day higher than the actual date, on most of the contacts? Sounds like a software glitch to me.
Does anyone have a fix?

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean by "file default settings" and how they are "locked".

Let me restate the problem. On most, but not all, of my contacts, the information which was synced from Google contacts, both birthdates and anniversary dates show up as one day later than the actual date. If I go to the edit mode, the correct date shows. Even if I delete the date shown in the edit mode and re-enter it, upon going back to the contact, the incorrect date is shown. If I go to my contacts via Google, where the correct date is shown, re-enter it, the incorrect date shows on the Rezound contact. I force a re-sync with my Google contacts, and no correction is made. I never entered the incorrect date, so why does the Rezound show the incorrect date, always one day higher than the actual date, on most of the contacts? Sounds like a software glitch to me.
Does anyone have a fix?

This was a known issue pre OTA. If you grab the OTA update it should be fixed. I'm not sure what aqworldthunder was talking about

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
This was a known issue pre OTA. If you grab the OTA update it should be fixed. I'm not sure what aqworldthunder was talking about

I do have the latest update. (not rooted) android version 2.3.4, sense ver 3.5, software no. 2.01.605.11

I found where they mentioned the problem back in Nov 2011 about Facebook contacts being a day early. All my contacts are via Google, none from Facebook and they are shifted a day later. Maybe they corrected for Facebook and shifted Google.
Rezound - Issues List - xda-developers

I
played with entering dates into my Google contacts, and any date entered from Jan 1, 1970 or later show up correctly on the Rezound contact list. If the date is December 31, 1969 or earlier, it shows up as one day later in the Rezound contact list. Even December 31, 1969 shows up as Jan 1.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I do have the latest update. (not rooted) android version 2.3.4, sense ver 3.5, software no. 2.01.605.11

I found where they mentioned the problem back in Nov 2011 about Facebook contacts being a day early. All my contacts are via Google, none from Facebook and they are shifted a day later. Maybe they corrected for Facebook and shifted Google.
Rezound - Issues List - xda-developers

I
played with entering dates into my Google contacts, and any date entered from Jan 1, 1970 or later show up correctly on the Rezound contact list. If the date is December 31, 1969 or earlier, it shows up as one day later in the Rezound contact list. Even December 31, 1969 shows up as Jan 1.

I wonder if it's related to your account or if this is a widespread issue. Also this reminds me of the Y2K bug. Since not everyone fixed that problem by adding formatting for a 4 digit year vs starting time at 1970.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Man, your little commercial asking for thanks is starting to irritate me with that ASCII graphic stuff. It's all I see when combing thru the unread posts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

hoboX10

Reaction score
I believe I was actually the first person to make note of this issue. However, the OTA update fixed the problem.

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I believe ...., the OTA update fixed the problem.

I believe I have the latest OTA update as noted above, (software no. 2.01.605.11) and still have the problem.

I wonder if someone could help me out here. Go to one of your Google contacts on your computer and change their birthdate to December 29, 1969. Then go to your phone, and through the "People" tab, find that person and see what date it shows for their birthday. Dec 30, right? Edit that contact on the phone, and in the box you will see December 29, 1969, right? Go back to the computer and change the birthdate to January 2, 1970. Go to your phone and find that person through the People tab. The correct date, January 2 will show, right?

If it works out that way for you, there is still a software glitch even in the OTA update. If it doesn't, then somehow, I alone have the problem and will have to take the phone to Verizon for further investigation.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried to clear data on HTC people after the OTA? You might even need a full factory reset...The latter isn't a great option but it might help.

TBD1

Reaction score
I believe I have the latest OTA update as noted above, (software no. 2.01.605.11) and still have the problem.

I wonder if someone could help me out here. Go to one of your Google contacts on your computer and change their birthdate to December 29, 1969. Then go to your phone, and through the "People" tab, find that person and see what date it shows for their birthday. Dec 30, right? Edit that contact on the phone, and in the box you will see December 29, 1969, right? Go back to the computer and change the birthdate to January 2, 1970. Go to your phone and find that person through the People tab. The correct date, January 2 will show, right?

If it works out that way for you, there is still a software glitch even in the OTA update. If it doesn't, then somehow, I alone have the problem and will have to take the phone to Verizon for further investigation.

Changed one, and it behaves like yours, the Information button shows one day later, the edit button shows the correct date. The gmail- contacts on the computer show the correct date. It is only for this one, the ones that I haven't touched since before the OTA are the same in Computer, Phone-Information and edit. I'm not messing with the other ones.:hail:

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Changed one, and it behaves like yours, the Information button shows one day later, the edit button shows the correct date. The gmail- contacts on the computer show the correct date. It is only for this one, the ones that I haven't touched since before the OTA are the same in Computer, Phone-Information and edit. I'm not messing with the other ones.:hail:

Thank you very much, TBD1, for taking that bold step. That's a good indication that it's not just my phone, but most likely another software glitch that HTC has to fix. So I won't be taking my phone in to VZW, won't do a factory reset, but I did go to the HTC site and described the issue via email to customer support.

There was another issue I had with the contact information, the person's address didn't always show the complete 9 digit zip code if they had a long street address. Fixed that by putting the address under 'notes'. I guess I can temporarily fix the birthday/anniversary issue by adding those dates to the 'notes' as well. The correct dates appear in my calendar, etc.

UPDATE: 2/11/12 1:00 PM I found an app called "Contacts" by Contapps LTD that seems to be an easier way to find contacts and it gets the birthday correct. Will certainly be using it instead of the native contact list.

Last edited:

TBD1

Reaction score
I did find that the year 70 is the trigger, everything after 70 is ok, anything pre 1970 has the error. I tried deleting all my contacts and then re-importing from Google and the error was triggered on the import.

I don't see on the Contapps site if they sync with Google contacts, other than that it looks like I might try it.

Last edited:
OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I did find that the year 70 is the trigger, everything after 70 is ok, anything pre 1970 has the error. I tried deleting all my contacts and then re-importing from Google and the error was triggered on the import.

I don't see on the Contapps site if they sync with Google contacts, other than that it looks like I might try it.

The Contapps app, "Contacts" does sync with Google and solves the pre 1970 date error as well as not cutting off the 9 digit zip code in a long address.

I got a response from HTC regarding my email to Customer Support about the "1970" error:

We understand your concern with the birthdays and anniversaries being incorrect. HTC is aware that this may occur with some devices and is investigating the issue. We do know that this is related to a possible change with leap year but do not have an estimate time for a resolution at this time.

In the meantime, you may wish to search on the Android Market for a third party calendar application that may provide some change to this......

I think the "leap year" claim is BS since the error occurs for everything prior to 1970; leap years occur in 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, etc.

Last edited:

hoboX10

Reaction score
The Contapps app, "Contacts" does sync with Google and solves the pre 1970 date error as well as not cutting off the 9 digit zip code in a long address.

I got a response from HTC regarding my email to Customer Support about the "1970" error:

We understand your concern with the birthdays and anniversaries being incorrect. HTC is aware that this may occur with some devices and is investigating the issue. We do know that this is related to a possible change with leap year but do not have an estimate time for a resolution at this time.

In the meantime, you may wish to search on the Android Market for a third party calendar application that may provide some change to this......

I think the "leap year" claim is BS since the error occurs for everything prior to 1970; leap years occur in 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, etc.
I think they might mean because 2012 is a leap year your phone is adjusting the birth date shown, not because 1970 was or was not a leap year.

Also, sorry I can't help with this as the problem me and others had before was Birthdays being a day behind and you all are saying it is a day ahead. But for me and most others the OTA update fixed it, so many if you factory reset and reinstall the update? That's the only thing I can think might be possible, unless another update comes out.