Bionic Camera Auto Focus Freeze..

Houliganz

Reaction score
Bionic Camera Freeze and Auto Focus Lag / Hangs..

Hello I've had the phone for about a 2 weeks. I installed camera zoom fx 2 days after I got the phone and everything worked great. However now its a week later and since yesterday I cant take pictures with out the camera freezing or snapping a picture until about 20 to 30 seconds after i push the button. Ive narrowed it down to a focus issue. As long as i use fixed focus its fine but pictures look like crap and out of focus.

Any ideas?

OP
H

Houliganz

Reaction score
Well here's an update to this issue since no one has been able to help solve this problem.. So sit back, relax, and grab a cup of coffee. This is gonna be a long story.

First I had to unroot my Bionic and since the phone is so new I FXZ flashed it just to be on the safe side and wiped all data before I brought it in for service. I went to my local VW Store and addressed them of this issue. The first thing i was told by a store manager and everyone else who was waiting for service is that they were currently out of new phones and any problems that couldn't be fixed in store would have to wait or go online and file a service claim so that we could be mailed a New phone if applicable. :icon_eek:

First of all I'd rather talk to someone face to face. So I decided to wait and see what the Tech had to say.. Finally it was my turn!! The Tech said he didn't know if it was a Software or Hardware issue but it was def odd that the phone was acting like this and that it def had to be replaced. He then told me I would receive and New phone in the mail next business day. As the story goes I was expecting a New phone like he said to arrive in the mail. Next day the phone arrives and its a refurb!! :mad: SERIOUSLY!!! Not realizing when I brought the phone in it was already 2 days after the 14 day return/exchange date. OMG.. Anyhow, the phone i received had dust behind the rear camera glass and there seemed to be what looked like carpet fuzz stuck to the internals since they ship the phone without the back plate and battery. At this point I'm FURIOUS!!! :mad:

I dial *611 and get a rep on the phone. I explain to her the Dilemma I'm having and how about 2 weeks ago I bought this phone the day it came out brand new for over $300+ with Accessories and how unhappy I am that I was sent a Like-Used phone instead of a Like-New that looks like it was dragged across a carpet and then shipped to me. I explained how I never had a problem with Verizon until now and how Ive been a loyal customer for over 8 years. Anyway, she said that she was sorry to hear about this and transferred me to a lvl 2 Tech in which I had to explain the whole damn story to her now. She explains how deeply sorry she is to hear about this and said the only way for me to get a Brand New replacement would be to talk to a supervisor. So I said, "fine i would like to talk to a supervisor then." She put me on hold, then comes back on the phone and says, "I'm sorry but my supervisor just walked past me and went into a Meeting with the other Sup's so there was none that i could talk to at the moment. She then said she would talk to a supervisor for me and would call me back in 15 minutes. So I waited 2 hours and when it hit Midnight I went to bed.

Today I woke up and there was no phone call..... Waited till after work and called them again. Immediately asked for a lvl 2 Tech and when she asked why? I again explained my Dilemma and was transferred to a lvl 2 Tech. At this point I get a guy on the phone this time. Once again I explained what happened and told him about this rubbish I got in the mail and how I understand that I was over the return/exchange date by 2 days. I then proceeded to explain about how i was juggled around the night before when I called and how the girl would call me back in 15 minutes. He told me that she had lied!! WTF!! In order for me to talk to a supervisor I would have had to wait up to 24hrs before I would have gotten a call back.... Is what he said. He was very nice, apologized, and said he would mail out another phone but again it would be a refurb. So I said are you serious? There is no way I can talk to a supervisor now!?!? He said if I bought the phone at a VW Store I would have to go back to the store and talk to a manager there and it would be up to them but in the mean time I will send you another refurb.... &%@(&%@(#*!!!!!!!!

Now I am F**kin LIVID!! So I went to the bar got some food and mixed drinks then went to the VW Store. I was a bit drunk upon my arrival. Mind you the whole time I've been very calm and patient with this company for the past 2 days not to blow my top and lose my kewl.. Anyway, I walk in with my phone and the one I got in the mail. Greeted by a salesman I say, "I would like to speak to a manager." He asks why? Now I'm about to go nuts.. :wacko: Again I explain my Dilemma with all the BS that I've gone through the past 2 days. He looks at me like I have six heads and starts giving me an attitude. So I said "You know when I talked to VW Support on the phone they were much nicer, understanding and apologetic with me then you are." Well, low and behold a manager was standing behind me. Comes up and says, "What seems to be the problem?" Again I explain EVERYTHING and told him look I understand that it's unfortunate for me that the camera decided to Sh*t the bed the next day after my return/exchange date but if I knew I was going to get a piece of junk refurb covered with dust/fuzz in the mail to replace a $300+ phone I would have never bought the phone Brand New and would have waited to buy a refurb Like-New Bionic for $100-$150 with a new 2yr contract when it was available. He then said, "Well that's not true..." I was like WHAT?!?! I said "It is VERY TRUE!! Maybe you don't offer that in the STORE but you sure as hell do on the WEBSITE!!" The guy went silent as the other customers were staring at us.

Wow, I said to myself.. I must have stirred up an open ear to anyone who might want to wait to catch a good deal like that.. In fact that is what my friend did when he got his Droid X after ditching his iphone with AT&T last year.

The manager grabs my phone and says is this the phone with the issue? I said, "Why yes it is!!" As he's fiddling with the camera on my phone I point out how the screen is freezing and locks up when you press the button to snap a picture which is a good 20-30 second wait before the picture is taken. He then puts my phone down and walks over to the display phone. Walks back to me about 5-10 minutes later and says, "hmm I cant seem to replicate the same issue you are having with your phone on this one.. I'll be right back..." Thinking to myself, "Well No Sh*t you cant. Thats why I'm here cause the phone is not operating normally.." OMG.. WTF is up with these people they hire. If their brain was dynamite, they wouldnt have enough to blow their nose!! Once again another 5-10 minutes later he comes back and says "Ok well we are going to give you a Brand new Bionic and exchange yours." I said Thank You and walked over to customer service to watch the unboxing of my Brand New phone!!

Finally, I'm happy and I walked out with a New Phone Fresh out the Box. The moral to this story I would have to say is be calm, patient, and express how unsatisfied you are with there support in front of customers and good things will happen!! Also know the facts about what the website has to offer before they say, "No we cant do that" or "No that is not true". Remember what the Store can do and what *611 can do are two different things. It could possibly help you out in the event one fails to mention or neglects to inform you about that the other can or can't do.
dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

OP
H

Houliganz

Reaction score
Wish I could keep all 3!! :greendroid::reddroid::blackdroid:

My Brand New one is on the left that I got in store and the other 2 were Refurbs they sent me. Got almost $2G's in phones sitting here..dancedroid
hmm what to do.. lmao, guess I'll send the others back so I dont get charged Retail for them..

DSCN2006.jpg

Mondingo

Reaction score
Glad you got everything straightened out. I actually called Verizon today to replace my 2nd bionic with problems. I'm under the 14 days. I told them I will not accept a CLN REPLACEMENT or a refurbished one. I will see tomorrow. What was your first phone they sent you boxed in? Was it in the original Droid Bionic box, or in a certified like new box? I'm just wondering how I will tell if its new our used.Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
H

Houliganz

Reaction score
They both came in Fed-Ex boxes with a Certified Like-New backer holding the phone wrapped with plastic to hold the phone in place. It will say on the backer board Certified Like-New. They will not send you a whole new Droid Bionic box. Dont be surprised if you get the same. Did you buy your phone at the store or online? I was told by friends that if verizon sends you a phone in the mail it will always be a Used phone. If you got it at a store ask to speak to a manager. The thing is they have to open the box unwrap the phone and they keep everything else in the box. They just replace it with your battery, cover, sim card, SD card, activate the phone and send you on your way. Assuming they keep the rest as replacement parts for other Bionics.

The only way to get a new phone if bought in the store is to go back and if you purchase it on the website they will send you a new phone but im not quite sure how that works since i bought mine in the store.