Bionic battery still drains though plugged in and charging on USB port with pdanet 4G

brianlayman

Reaction score
I am using my Droid Bionic plugged into a Samsung NP-QX410 via a stock VZW ECOMOTO USB cable. I'm running PDANet on a 4g connection.

Though the Bionic shows it is charging, it consistently loses ground all day long. I can make it just over half a work day, then I need to plug the Droid in to the wall and use the coffee shop wifi for an hour before I jump back on the 4g. The hour charge is good enough to keep me going till the battery drain is a good reason for me to leave the coffee shop before they close.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Charging should be charging not draining more slowly, but I guess the USB port is to blame for not pushing out enough juice.

I thought I would ask because on day 1 or 2 of the Bionic rollout, I remember reading about someone experiencing different charge rates from stock Verizon cables. I'll buy a different cable if needed - even if it is from a Sprint store or wherever. I plan on buying an extended battery during the sale. That should at least make give the Bionic a bigger pool to drain power from.

Thoughts? suggestions?

My thanks!

lbeberdick

Reaction score
Have same problem with my thinkpad. Usb port probably doesn't have enough current capability. The stock charger supplies 850 mili amps. Have same problem with car charger. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

z96Cobra

Reaction score
You can buy a small, externally powered, USB hub and connect through it and it will probably keep you charged while in use. I have one that works great.

OP
B

brianlayman

Reaction score
Nice Suggestion. I was wondering if that would work. Thank you for the confirmation! In the mean time I took advantage of the half off and free shipping sale on the extended battery. $26.48 w/ tax and 2 day shipping. NOT BAD.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
This happened on my OG Droid, but only at home where I have bad phone reception (the radios in the phone draw more power to compensate). I use the plug in charger and use the USB only when I'm transferring data.

quizzard

Reaction score
Most computer USB ports provide 500mAh at best, even the externally powered ones. The Bionic draws 1500mAh. Your best option if you want to tether, is to do it wirelessly, while using a high power USB port made for a tablet. The one I am using:
20111018113352454.jpg
<
Griffin Part number NA23134, found at Walmart.

Charges the Bionic 2x faster than the stock charger, and 3x faster than USB.