Bionic + 4G + Slingbox ??

bluezdawg

Reaction score
If you're asking me, I'm using the $29 market app.

Yes, that was the app I was referring to. I talked to one of our techs today who is using Slingbox to his DroidX and Samsung Galaxy tablet. He said he was using the phone app on his tablet and it looked fine, so he did not feel that there was a reason to buy the tablet version. Great news as I am lobbying for a Samsung tablet for Christmas. The boys and I are convincing mom that the Slingbox should be a "family gift" from Santa :icon_ lala:

SPCLCAY

Reaction score
Yes, I am. In the meantime, I have decided to take the chance and re-purchase the app. since everyone else seems to have success. After retrying a few times, I have had slightly better results.

Currently, once a channel is selected and the stream stabilizes for a minute or so, it does work OK. However, when I activate the DirecTV box controls (guide, list, etc.) the picture hangs up and it takes almost a minute between keyed responses. Again, I let it sit and stabilize for a minutes, it works OK.

I guess I just expected better performance with such a fast connection. Who knows, maybe there is something going on with my home network. Maybe there is some sort of buffer setting in the port forwarding or something. I'm also wondering what the actual UPLOAD speed is on my Charter cable modem. Speedtest measures down at 30Mbps but I forget the upload speed. I will continue to investigate on that side. Thanks for the replies.
Fixed it ! Turns out the wrong internet address had been entered into the port forwarding setting on my router. The setup wizard indicated one address then, upon slingbox reboot, the address changed. I have reserved the address now so this will no longer be a problem. I'm amazed it worked at all with the wrong address. Thanks again for the replies. This is an amazing tech gizmo ! :icon_ lala::icon_ banana:dancedroid:D

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yes, that was the app I was referring to. I talked to one of our techs today who is using Slingbox to his DroidX and Samsung Galaxy tablet. He said he was using the phone app on his tablet and it looked fine, so he did not feel that there was a reason to buy the tablet version. Great news as I am lobbying for a Samsung tablet for Christmas. The boys and I are convincing mom that the Slingbox should be a "family gift" from Santa :icon_ lala:

lol good deal! :) Hope Santa comes through!

Last edited:

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Quick Slingbox noob question ... Does your tv need to be on at the Slingbox end (assuming not). Hope it works thru just the cable box and Slingbox . Want to be able to change channels on the pc/tablet/phone without having tv on if we are traveling.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Quick Slingbox noob question ... Does your tv need to be on at the Slingbox end (assuming not). Hope it works thru just the cable box and Slingbox . Want to be able to change channels on the pc/tablet/phone without having tv on if we are traveling.

Nope.. but if you get a solo, you need your cable box and router next to each other. Also, with the solo, if your watching something and someone else tries to watch slingbox, they will see what you are watching. What I did was just get an extra cable box with no tv attached, have it next to my router, so its a dedicated cable box for slingbox where people can watch whatever they want while I watch something else in another room. The Pro allows for additional options where you can let people watch different channels on the same tv you are watching. Also, their is a 'slingbox extender' if your router isn't near your slingbox/cablebox that transmits the signal to the router.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Great! Appreciate the feedback Shadez! Right now, leaning towards the Pro, looks like I have options, should be fun!

Wife reminded me lastnight that if I'd spend less on cigars, she would not turn up her nose so much on electronic toys :r_c:
Cheers,
'dawg

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Nope.. but if you get a solo, you need your cable box and router next to each other. Also, with the solo, if your watching something and someone else tries to watch slingbox, they will see what you are watching. What I did was just get an extra cable box with no tv attached, have it next to my router, so its a dedicated cable box for slingbox where people can watch whatever they want while I watch something else in another room. The Pro allows for additional options where you can let people watch different channels on the same tv you are watching. Also, their is a 'slingbox extender' if your router isn't near your slingbox/cablebox that transmits the signal to the router.

I have the hd pro and extender and they are the optimum combo for those on the go... Trying to fig out now how to incorporate my network drive with all of my movies on it, lol