Bing?!

Mule65

Reaction score
So, the Fascinate reportedly comes with Bing Search and Maps. WTF? I want Google Search and Maps on my Google phone. Can this be changed without rooting?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is why you have an exchange period. I would do it just based on that alone.

OP
Mule65

Mule65

Reaction score
This is why you have an exchange period. I would do it just based on that alone.

Just trying to save $35. :)

Is Google Navigate available in the Market? I don't see it on the Fascinate Apps listed here ~ that would be a deal breaker. Great form factor but these software decisions are weird.

TreyDaPrince

Reaction score
I'm more so worried about if I can change it to the default. The more I look at the phone the less this becomes a deal breaker, but definitely still a heart breaker. Why Verizon? (I actually know why)

spacesearcher

Reaction score
I'm more so worried about if I can change it to the default. The more I look at the phone the less this becomes a deal breaker, but definitely still a heart breaker. Why Verizon? (I actually know why)

Yeah as long as you can download maps. From people I have talked to they odn't really use the search widget that often anyways. Most of my friends don't even keep it on their home screen so I think I'll be able to live with out it.

bizzshow

Reaction score
just keep in mind vzw can lock down agps to vz navigator, like they did with the palm pre. im hoping not i can live with bing search, but if i cant use the free google navigation, and have to pay vzw for navigation i will pass on this phone. or just hope they root it and get rid of bing all together

TreyDaPrince

Reaction score
just keep in mind vzw can lock down agps to vz navigator, like they did with the palm pre. im hoping not i can live with bing search, but if i cant use the free google navigation, and have to pay vzw for navigation i will pass on this phone. or just hope they root it and get rid of bing all together

I don't know if its lock down to VZNav but I have seen the Fascinate with it installed.

bizzshow

Reaction score
Well its good that it. Can be installed now if its not locked to vz. Navigator that's a plus I've been turned off the x with the encrypted bootloader. Just hoping for a quick root and I'm in

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
there are two things to rember here. First this device is powerd with Bing that makes itself not a member of the ' Droid " family. Second if root is attained the something like Froyo can be ported to it and google maps and nav would work

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If its just the 35 bucks you can always try and plead your case. Tell them you thought Android meant Google tools and you are really bummed that is not the case.

OP
Mule65

Mule65

Reaction score
If its just the 35 bucks you can always try and plead your case. Tell them you thought Android meant Google tools and you are really bummed that is not the case.

Yea, I already used up my "one time" $35 restock waive when returning the underpowered LG Ally. :)

I was disappointed to learn the Fascinate is about the same size as Droid X. :icon_eek:

Last edited: