Big Oven is now on Android Market

joeyspindler

Reaction score
For those of you who are familiar with Iphone app BigOven, it is now on the android market. It is one of the best cooking apps out there. Over a 170,000 reciepe's so they claim. anyways its great. check it out.

stevemur

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the mention of the free BigOven app! (I'm the founder of BigOven.com). The app allows you to search 170,000+ recipes on the site.

It's just a shortcut to the web site. Not really an app.

That's not really true. The app provides the following feature that the mobile version of the website does not provide:

* Leftover Wizard -- simply enter 3 ingredients and find out what you can make
* Browse the BigOven Food Glossary -- see over 1,000+ articles on food and common ingredients
* "What's for Dinner?" -- get (and share) food updates from around the world.

You can also mark favorites, build a free Try Soon Queue, rate and comment on recipes and much more.

Yes, we do use HTML for rendering the output at present. Among other things, this allows us to get you this free app with 170,000+ recipes much, much sooner. It also provides seamless, instant synchronization between what might be done on the desktop (e.g., saving favorites, building a list of Try Soon recipes, etc.) and what's on your handheld. All in all, we think these tradeoffs are worth it for the time being.

Over time, we plan to move the UI to more native display, but we wanted to get this free app to you and the many Android users as quickly as possible. With over 2 million downloads on the iPhone (and growing), it's been one of the most popular food apps on the iPhone, and now everything you could do on the iPhone version of BigOven can be done on the Android!

Happy cooking from us in Seattle.

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
This sounds awesome! Gonna give it a go. Does it include BBQ recipes?

stevemur

Reaction score
BigOven App

Great to hear! The free app does include thousands of BBQ recipes, yes.

One of the things people like most about the iPhone app (same as the Android app) is that you can carry your Favorites and Try Soon list to the grocery store.

In my case, I've got a couple hundred Favorite recipes tagged (many of which I posted to the site myself, along with photos, free) -- and whenever I'm stuck at the grocery store, wondering what to make, I can launch the app and do a quick browse through my Favorites. Did that just tonight, settling on Chicken Almandine. Delicious!

I started BigOven several years ago trying to help us finally solve the "2PM - What are we going to make tonight?" dilemma. There's a long way to go, with many more features and improvements on the horizon, but it's pretty useful at present and we're delighted to get this v1.0 app to the Android platform.