Bezel-less phones... new or...?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
essential_smartphone_story_1490686245920.jpg

When I saw the pictures of Andy Rubin teasing the bezel-less phone he was working on I felt like it had a familiar feel. Then I was reminded of the Droid HD from back in the day. It was one of the first to look at slimming the bezel and combined with the carbon fiber back it was an awesome looking phone. Unfortunately at the time it went up against the "Next Big Thing" and lost. In a battle that was an onslaught given the specs of the Note 2 combined with the ability to be rooted (something that was important on a phone back then). One had to wonder why Motorola waited so long to release the phone. Had they released it in the spring when so many were anticipating it we could have been having a different conversation.

Unfortunately the Droid HD may not have gotten the love it deserved then but I have to think that it's legacy is going to live on in a future device.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm all for bezel-less phones (assuming that doesn't mean they just make bigger displays). I think for this to be viable, though, they have to implement some sort of technology to create an artificial bezel to prevent unintentional interaction just from holding the phone.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything in common between Rubin's phone and droid HD. Google phone has no wasted real estate unlike all current phones. Droid HD is just another smartphone like all others in past decade.

Briankbl

Reaction score
Why is this in the News section? Isn't there a more appropriate board to post this, like the Android General Discussions forum?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
It is news as it was leaked by rubin himself on Twitter to make it go viral. Did you even look at the phone he has? There is nothing like that in the world, yet.

Briankbl

Reaction score
It is news as it was leaked by rubin himself on Twitter to make it go viral. Did you even look at the phone he has? There is nothing like that in the world, yet.
But the original post isn't ABOUT the picture and the "leak", it's just reminiscing about the Droid HD...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
But the original post isn't ABOUT the picture and the "leak", it's just reminiscing about the Droid HD...

Actually it's about the leak. I just saw that it looked similar to the Droid HD which was why I brought up the HD. The Droid HD was the first I recognized that concentrated on slimming the bezel. Though I used the post to throw a little love towards Motorola, the focus was what was in Andy Rubin's hand.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Briankbl

Reaction score
Actually it's about the leak. I just saw that it looked similar to the Droid HD which was why I brought up the HD. The Droid HD was the first I recognized that concentrated on slimming the bezel. Though I used the post to throw a little love towards Motorola, the focus was what was in Andy Rubin's hand.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
If you reread your post, you only referenced the leak once, maybe twice. The majority of the post is gushing about the Droid HD. More of a blog post than a news post...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you reread your post, you only referenced the leak once, maybe twice. The majority of the post is gushing about the Droid HD. More of a blog post than a news post...

I suppose to some it may be blog worthy to others it's news worthy. Regardless, it's an interesting comparison highlighting the forgotten past to the recent leak. Imo, it's where it belongs; in the news and to perseverate on whether it does or doesn't is irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Considering that the leak was literally just this picture of the phone, there's really not much else to say about it. I like that PC brought up a device that this new phone reminds him of. Created a discussion out of nothing, because other than the corner of the device, we have nothing more to discuss about this device at this point.

The news is the leak, but the leak is only the picture. No reason opinions can't be shared along with news.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Ummm. No

Briankbl

Reaction score
Are we really complaining / arguing about what is or is not news?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I'm not a fan of the board getting cluttered with off topic posts.
Considering that the leak was literally just this picture of the phone, there's really not much else to say about it. I like that PC brought up a device that this new phone reminds him of. Created a discussion out of nothing, because other than the corner of the device, we have nothing more to discuss about this device at this point.

The news is the leak, but the leak is only the picture. No reason opinions can't be shared along with news.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Then he should have made the leak the main focus of his post. Instead, literally all but one sentence was talking about the Droid HD. The Droid HD isn't news. Yeah, we only have a picture, so speculate about the picture, talk about how it looks, the bezel-less nature of it, the UI, the color, the size, etc etc etc. Make the post about the picture and not the Droid HD. That would be like titling an article "FALCONS WIN SUPER BOWL", starting it off with one sentence about the Falcons winning the Super Bowl, then the other 99% of the article talking about the 72 Dolphins.

It just irks me because I've seen so many misleading and inaccurate news headlines on this site compared to other, more reputable sites. This place could reach that level if they could tighten up their editorial staff and quality of writing. I've been here for many years holding the team to higher standards. I was the only one here calling out the writing staff for their blatantly misleading Galaxy Nexus news headlines for click bait. I actually had the team apologize and promise to change their bad habits.

Bottom line, this post is not about the picture. Take out that first sentence and reread the post for yourself. It's literally not news, so why is it in the news section when there are plenty of other places it could've been posted?

Briankbl

Reaction score
"Then I was reminded of the Droid HD from back in the day. It was one of the first to look at slimming the bezel and combined with the carbon fiber back it was an awesome looking phone. Unfortunately at the time it went up against the "Next Big Thing" and lost. In a battle that was an onslaught given the specs of the Note 2 combined with the ability to be rooted (something that was important on a phone back then). One had to wonder why Motorola waited so long to release the phone. Had they released it in the spring when so many were anticipating it we could have been having a different conversation.

Unfortunately the Droid HD may not have gotten the love it deserved then but I have to think that it's legacy is going to live on in a future device."
---
Read the above quote with the first sentence removed. Tell me what the article is talking about.