Better then stock keyboard but same size?

loki993

Reaction score
A question I continue to ask myself because I still haven't found a proper answer. Basically I don't like the layout of the stock HTC keyboard and much prefer the standard android layout. Problem is, because of out resolution or something, any other keyboard I try the buttons are very small. Ive tried multiple different market keyboards, both ICS keyboards, Go keyboard, the new swype, swiftkey, thumb maybe, cant remember them all. Basically if its there I've probably tried it. Some even had a way to adjust the height of the keys but not the width. Well that's silly because Id imagine, that like me, most peoples issues come from the keys being too narrow and not too short.

Feel free to recommend anyway, but please no go, swype or swiftkey. Id rather not pay for a keyboard, but if I must it better have an option to change the width of the keys and not just the height.

Basically best case would be the stock ICS keyboard with keys the size of the HTC one, though I cant manage to find that either.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Have you tried smart keyboard? I searched forever for a keyboard that would let me widen the space bar and this one did. I know you can change the height. But the keys are already pretty wide and it has some skins included with more available in the market. There is a free version that has a nag screen that pops up once a day the first time that you launch the keyboard and a paid version without it.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

ErcDaMerc

Reaction score
I know this isn't at all what you're looking for BUT... I switched to messagease a long time ago because I hate using tiny keyboard buttons. It's a totally different layout and does take a couple days to get used to but I love it and type much faster on this than any other's I've tried or even the physical keyboard on the droid1. I also like that it's very customizable.

Graffiti keyboard is another one I tried. It's like the old palm input. This one, unfortunately, is not re-sizable otherwise I might use it.

-Rezound

skennelly

Reaction score
Touchpal would be worth trying. I does have the swype option, but you can disable that, and it's free.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm not sure it doesnt look familiar either that or I didnt like it. Cant change width though. Ill try it its better but the keys still arent as big as the original HTC ones.

skennelly

Reaction score
Sounds like it's a phone issue more than a keyboard issue. I think you'd have more luck contacting the developer of your favorite keyboard and making them aware of the issue. More than likely they can update the app to be more compatible with the Rezound.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ultra Keyboard lets you customize the size of the keyboard and theme the snot out of it too.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
Have you tried smart keyboard? I searched forever for a keyboard that would let me widen the space bar and this one did. I know you can change the height. But the keys are already pretty wide and it has some skins included with more available in the market. There is a free version that has a nag screen that pops up once a day the first time that you launch the keyboard and a paid version without it.

Hmm, I'm not sure it doesnt look familiar either that or I didnt like it. Cant change width though. Ill try it its better but the keys still arent as big as the original HTC ones.

Ok I think I figured out why I didn't like Smart keyboard the predictions are the worst Ive ever seen, in fact I don't think they work at all. Too bad becasue I actually kinda like the keyboard itself.

Sounds like it's a phone issue more than a keyboard issue. I think you'd have more luck contacting the developer of your favorite keyboard and making them aware of the issue. More than likely they can update the app to be more compatible with the Rezound.

I know and one you think would have been addressed.

Ai keyboard.

Sent from my hooka via hash cloud.

Tried that one and actually liked it but if you go free it takes the predictions away from you eventually so I uninstalled it.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
loki993 said:
Ok I think I figured out why I didn't like Smart keyboard the predictions are the worst Ive ever seen, in fact I don't think they work at all. Too bad becasue I actually kinda like the keyboard itself.

The predictions work fine for me. Maybe the settings were wrong. There are a lot of options with this keyboard.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
The predictions work fine for me. Maybe the settings were wrong. There are a lot of options with this keyboard.

I figured it out the settings weren't wrong, you just need to install the dictonary separately. Mind you there was no mention of this on the apps main page or on the website, FAQ or forum.

I do like the skins.

marioval

Reaction score
because the keyboard goes all the way from the left of your screen to the right, there is no way to make keys wider. Thats why some keyboards only have an option to make keys taller like UltraKeyboard. The only wake to make keys wider is to make others smaller which is the approach that ThickButtons Keyboard takes. It tried to predict the word you are typing and makes those letters bigger while making the ones you are not likely going to use smaller. Give it a try.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thickbuttons&hl=en

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
loki993 said:
I figured it out the settings weren't wrong, you just need to install the dictonary separately. Mind you there was no mention of this on the apps main page or on the website, FAQ or forum.

I do like the skins.

I forgot about the dictionary. I've had the keyboard installed for a while and I forgot I had to install that too.

Schimm

Reaction score
Ultra Keyboard lets you customize the size of the keyboard and theme the snot out of it too.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Ok I tried this and like it better than AI. Predictions are faster. AI seems to lag a bit if you're not on Wi-Fi.

Sent from my hooka via hash cloud.

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Is it the stock keyboard, or is it me? I got my phone today, turned on trace, went to use it and it kept stopping the word after just a letter or two. Seemed to be worse going from middle or bottom up to top row.