Best way to restore after installing ROM - which to do first?

ps5281

Reaction score
I've been trying to speed up the process of restoring my apps after flashing a new ROM. I see two logical ways of going about this:

1) Allowing the phone to boot and logging into my Google account and allowing it self restore all the apps and other data. Then using Titanium Backup (I'm using the full version) to restore the rest of the data and settings. This seems to be the slower of the two, but the most through. I've also ran into the following problems. I noticed is that my phone gets really bogged down while allowing Google to reinstall all my apps. Also, I don't get all of them on the first pass because I have more apps than internal memory and the way the phone is bogged down it's difficult to turn on the apps to SD feature.

2) Skipping the login phase, immediately turning on apps to SD, and then using Titanium Backup. This seems to go much faster and gets everything directly on the SD card. Then I go back and log into the Google account. Only problems I've seen with this method is TI Backup can get a little buggy if I try to do anything with my phone while running the restore batch (not that huge of a deal considering how fast it goes). Unless I'm missing anything this seems to be the best way to go about it.

What does everyone else recommend?

neccoguy21

Reaction score
I've been trying to speed up the process of restoring my apps after flashing a new ROM. I see two logical ways of going about this:

1) Allowing the phone to boot and logging into my Google account and allowing it self restore all the apps and other data. Then using Titanium Backup (I'm using the full version) to restore the rest of the data and settings. This seems to be the slower of the two, but the most through. I've also ran into the following problems. I noticed is that my phone gets really bogged down while allowing Google to reinstall all my apps. Also, I don't get all of them on the first pass because I have more apps than internal memory and the way the phone is bogged down it's difficult to turn on the apps to SD feature.

2) Skipping the login phase, immediately turning on apps to SD, and then using Titanium Backup. This seems to go much faster and gets everything directly on the SD card. Then I go back and log into the Google account. Only problems I've seen with this method is TI Backup can get a little buggy if I try to do anything with my phone while running the restore batch (not that huge of a deal considering how fast it goes). Unless I'm missing anything this seems to be the best way to go about it.

I never even thought about skipping the google log in to set my phone up properly before letting the sync happen. With the understanding I have of this phone, option 2 sounds very sound and logical to me... I'll be trying this method later... thanks!

thatdarkknight

Reaction score
Is there a disadvantage to going into sp recovery. Then restoring the data part of my backup that was made previous to installing my new rom? Is titanium a better solution then restoring data?

pkilla

Reaction score
my method

I used your method #2 with a modification. I don't use apps2sd so I skipped the google account sync and when to the internet to the Titanium backup website and installed the apk. Then I restored my apps.

OP
P

ps5281

Reaction score
Is there a disadvantage to going into sp recovery. Then restoring the data part of my backup that was made previous to installing my new rom? Is titanium a better solution then restoring data?

I've never tried it that way, seems like a pretty good idea. If you give it a try before I do post your results. I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

OP
P

ps5281

Reaction score
I used your method #2 with a modification. I don't use apps2sd so I skipped the google account sync and when to the internet to the Titanium backup website and installed the apk. Then I restored my apps.

I've just always copied the Titanium Backup apk to the sdcard before installing a new rom and then used the terminal emulator to install TI onto the phone.

pkilla

Reaction score
I've just always copied the Titanium Backup apk to the sdcard before installing a new rom and then used the terminal emulator to install TI onto the phone.

Problem is, now jrummy doesn't include terminal emulator.

wolfpack_lamb

Reaction score

I have always wondered if you could do this. I haven't tried it myself thinking it might not work or might cause problems. Have you used this method? His did it work for you?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dr2ww62

Reaction score

Seems like this defeats the purpose of doing the data wipe to start with. I'm by no means intelligent on this subject, but won't this restore all the system data too that you were trying to wipe so it wouldn't interfere with the new rom? The advantage of Titanium is that it selectively restores only app-data you have intentionally backed up without touching the system data that has possibly been updated.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but that's how I see it in my mind (which is a scary place).

To the OP, I like your idea for option #2. The last flash I did I was frustrated because google restored almost all my apps, but then I had to manually restore all the app data, which TI doesn't have a batch option to do, unless I just force restoring all the apps along with the data, which seems like a waste since google just restored all the apps. I will try that next time.

Parafly9

Reaction score
I'm playing with this right now. I just rooted my phone this morning and did both pre and post root full backups with SPRecovery. I was assuming I would just wipe everything / factory reset, then launch Bugless Beast install.zip, then restore my data using SPRecovery. Is that not correct?

I'm not even really sure what is actually app data anyway, I think almost everything I have is on the SD card or on the Google servers... my contacts, facebook, etc. are all there. What am I missing?

jayman350

Reaction score
I'm playing with this right now. I just rooted my phone this morning and did both pre and post root full backups with SPRecovery. I was assuming I would just wipe everything / factory reset, then launch Bugless Beast install.zip, then restore my data using SPRecovery. Is that not correct?

I'm not even really sure what is actually app data anyway, I think almost everything I have is on the SD card or on the Google servers... my contacts, facebook, etc. are all there. What am I missing?

The app data could be something like your stats and gold ball count for HomeRun Battle 3D, bookmarks in XScope, etc. A lot of apps will have this data stored on the sd card, but there have been a couple of times where the market restored HRB3D, I went to go play it and it started up like I had never played it before. If I restore it from TB, everything is good to go.

I typically will bypass the login and reinstall my apps via Titanium. IIRC, the last time I tried this I could add my gmail account immediately after skipping the login step and it kept the market from automatically syncing the apps. I was able to d/l TB and restore that way with data.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Google does not even attempt to restore my apps for me (even though I've allowed it to do the backups) It just doesnt do it. So #1 isn't even a option for me.

I just use Titanium. Login to google, go download it off the market and use it to do the rest.

mozicodo

Reaction score
I don't like Google restoring my apps because the list is uses doesn't seem to update frequently and it installs crap I don't want. I didn't occur to me to get TI from their website or use apps on the sd card.

What I do to skip the restore is:
1) Skip the initial google login - unchecking the backup option here seems to be ignored in regards to the market
2) Go to Accounts under Settings and then add my Google market account and uncheck backup settings
3) Google Market works but doesn't install everything

aestivales

Reaction score
1. Sign into Google account on my phone
2. Switch phone into airplane mode
3. Install Titanium off the SD Card
4. Restore apps
5. Enable radio

thats how i do it anyway /shrug