Best SDHC card upgrade?

0reo

Reaction score
I just got an X. It's my first smart-phone ever so forgive any stupid questions.

Verizon's Droid X's are now selling with a 2gb SDHC card instead of the old 16gb cards so I want to upgrade. The problem is that choosing a Micro SDHC card is a lot like reading tea leaves at this point. No matter the web-retailer there are mixed reviews on all the cards. I'd like a nice fast card but there are plenty of reviews of the class 6 & class 10 cards saying they aren't getting the claimed speeds. The 32gb cards seem to have compatibility problems with the Droid X. Lots of reliability / stability problems reported for all the cards. So I'm totally lost now and I'm turning to you more experienced folks for some help & advice.

What's the best Micro SDHC card for the Droid X? I want at least 16gb but 32 is better. I want a card fast enough to support the full functionality of the Droid X of course so Class 10? 6? You tell me.

Thanks in advance!
Jason

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Aim for at least a class 4 if you want to keep the speeds you're used to....

If you can find a cheap reliable class 10 16 GB card, please let everyone know. It would be godlike.

OP

0reo

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't even care about the cheap part. I'd happily pay market price for a reliable class 6, 16gb (or better) card if someone could point me in that direction.

Last edited:
OP

0reo

Reaction score
Over a hundred views and nothing at all? No one has anything to add? This issue is clearly ripe for (more?) discussion.

The Patriot 32gb C10 card seems to be a guaranteed failure.

Anyone tried the Lexar 32gb C10 card?

Anyone tried a lower capacity C10 card? What were your results?

Anyone tried a C6 card of any capacity? What were your results?

Anyone tried the Sandisk 32gb C4 card? What were your results?

Hell... how about just listing your experience with whatever cards you've had. Any card at all. Lets try to fill in the blanks here. No one seems to know anything on the subject.

Xtreme0823

Reaction score
Well my first question would be what is that highest SDHC Class for Droid X? Because you could buy a Class 10 but if the Droid X is rated for a Class 6 its over kill and it would be a waste of money as that device may not be able to take advantage of the high data transfer speed. Also on the other hand say the Droid X is rated to use a Class 6 and you choose to buy a Class 2. Then you could have the speed of recording stream of the device may not match with the data transmission speed, causing synchronization problems. Just a thought?

OP

0reo

Reaction score
The class rating is a special issue that goes even a bit deeper then that. Even if the phone can make use of a class 10 card that still may not be the best option. One person with unknown credentials on another forum specifically recommended Class 4 above all others because it strikes the best balance between sustained access and random access which tend to operate like a seesaw with one getting worse as a card is optimized for the other. For instance, a class 10 card would do very well with recording & playing a single large HD video file yet have stability issues when parsing a large music collection of thousands of MP3s. A class 2 may have good random access ability but recording HD video or transferring lots of data to and from the card may be prohibitively slow.

I'm paraphrasing the information I've been given of course and if anyone cares to supplement or challenge that info based on some other credible source please do so.

Last edited:

Droid916

Reaction score
I grabbed a Patriot 32g Class 4 card from Fry's for 70.00.....I'm having no issues with it.

Xtreme0823

Reaction score
I would have to agree with Oreo. I think thats why you see a lot of disappoint people when they spend a lot of money on a Class 10 and it doesn't meet expectations. Or they cheap out and buy Class 2 and video playback is horrible. Just to let you know I have SanDisk 16GB Class 4 that came with my Droid X new and have no problems with it. But interesting topic...... hmmmm now its got me wanting to buy a 32GB LOL:)

OP

0reo

Reaction score
I ordered a sandisk 32gb c4 card the other day based on the above info I was given. I can't be certain it's the very best card but it does sound like a very safe choice.

I do think the issue is ripe for a professional outfit like Anandtech.com to do a benchmark comparison article on micro sd flash ram cards.

kameleongt

Reaction score
I tried A few different ones from Frys electronics actually 2 different ones before I gave up on a class 10 16gb card. I ended up using it in my incredible and keeping the class 2 in the droid x

OP

0reo

Reaction score
Mind saying which cards you tried specifically?

DroidToro

Reaction score
I am using a sandisk 32gb class 4 card and it works well. I found a deal where i paid about $70. Check bensbargains.net as i probably found the deal there.

Liberated Droid X

OP

0reo

Reaction score
Mine came in the mail earlier today (Friday). Its installed now both in my dx and one in my wife's. I haven't put the card through it's paces yet to claim no problems other then to say I have no complaints yet. Yet.

Last edited: