Best EPUB reader on XOOM?

difussion3

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I am still very confused on how to read sideloaded ebooks on my Motorola Xoom. I've done much research but can't seem to figure out how to do it. I've read some people saying to use the Nook app for sideloading. When I connect my Xoom to my cpu and try dragging an epub file into my storage device under nook/my documents, it says this "...file type is not supported on this device..." my only options are to skip, skip all, and cancel. What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to buy an SD card and load them on there? I thought there was no SD card support as of yet.

I really want to read sideloaded ebooks on my Xoom, but I'm getting frustrated! Please help.

Thanks in advance.

kennyc

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I am still very confused on how to read sideloaded ebooks on my Motorola Xoom. I've done much research but can't seem to figure out how to do it. I've read some people saying to use the Nook app for sideloading. When I connect my Xoom to my cpu and try dragging an epub file into my storage device under nook/my documents, it says this "...file type is not supported on this device..." my only options are to skip, skip all, and cancel. What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to buy an SD card and load them on there? I thought there was no SD card support as of yet.

I really want to read sideloaded ebooks on my Xoom, but I'm getting frustrated! Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I don't know about nook (I have it and it works great with my B&N purchases [prior to Xoom]).

I use Aldiko to read "generic" epubs. I'd advise downloading it.
With it you still have to 'import' the books but it's straight-forward.

Copy the (non-drm'd) epubs to your Xoom. Then in the Aldiko app "Home"/"SDCard" navigate to the books and select/import them.
(you can then delete them from the original directory I believe if you want).

OP
xier

xier

Reaction score
For the Nook App -

Simply connect your xoom to your computer -- browse the XOOM and you will see a NOOK folder at the top level. Inside Nook folder you will see MyDocuments -- Drag your Non DRM'd EPUB's into that folder. Open up the Nook app on your xoom and you will see them in "Library".

Perhaps you are trying to drag DRM'd Epub's? Try to drag a .txt file to see if it will allow you to drag anything.

QUOTE=difussion3;1384549]Hi everyone...

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

kennyc

Reaction score
For the Nook App -

Simply connect your xoom to your computer -- browse the XOOM and you will see a NOOK folder at the top level. Inside Nook folder you will see MyDocuments -- Drag your Non DRM'd EPUB's into that folder. Open up the Nook app on your xoom and you will see them in "Library".

Perhaps you are trying to drag DRM'd Epub's? Try to drag a .txt file to see if it will allow you to drag anything.

Oh really. I saw that folder when I was looking earlier, but didn't try that. Will right now....

Wow, yep! Works like a champ! Shows up in "My Files" rather than Library, but that's fine by me. :)

Thank you!

OP
xier

xier

Reaction score
Sorry - I meant to say My Files. Overall I really like the NOOK's reading experience over the Kindle app - just wish it did wispersync for non purchased Nook content.

kennyc

Reaction score
Sorry - I meant to say My Files. Overall I really like the NOOK's reading experience over the Kindle app - just wish it did wispersync for non purchased Nook content.

You're right about the folder/directory. It's MyDocuments but shows up in the Nook menu as My Files. :)

difussion3

Reaction score
I tried dragging all types of files into the mz600 drive and none actually drag over. I tried an epub, pdf, lit, txt, mobi, opf and they all say "file type is not supported on this device. If it is a media file, you may be able to use Windows Media Player to convert the file to a playable type prior to transfer." and my options are skip, skip all, and cancel.

I have no idea if any of these are DRM'd or not. I want to say no, I downloaded them to give it a try. Any other suggestions? Is the drive somehow locked or something?

kennyc

Reaction score
I tried dragging all types of files into the mz600 drive and none actually drag over. I tried an epub, pdf, lit, txt, mobi, opf and they all say "file type is not supported on this device. If it is a media file, you may be able to use Windows Media Player to convert the file to a playable type prior to transfer." and my options are skip, skip all, and cancel.

I have no idea if any of these are DRM'd or not. I want to say no, I downloaded them to give it a try. Any other suggestions? Is the drive somehow locked or something?

Sounds like something like that. What Desktop/laptop o/s are you using? I'm on win7-64

Maybe it is mapping your zoom folder(s) as a mp3 disc or something?

difussion3

Reaction score

Sounds like something like that. What Desktop/laptop o/s are you using? I'm on win7-64

Yea I have a super old HP laptop from like 2005 running XP. Can that be the culprit?

difussion3

Reaction score
I have been able to drag mp3s successfully. I also tried word or PowerPoint documents and no luck.

kennyc

Reaction score

Yea I have a super old HP laptop from like 2005 running XP. Can that be the culprit?

I'm not sure, but it sounds like it's doing something funny with the mounted "drive"

What's a bit funny even here on Win7 is that the xoom does not mount as and external drive, but as a device. One of the few times I've seen that sort of thing. Maybe it's that the is causing your issue. I've not tried connecting it to an XP computer (only my netbook has it at this point).

kennyc

Reaction score
I have been able to drag mp3s successfully. I also tried word or PowerPoint documents and no luck.

Hmmmm, it does sound like it thinks it's an mp3 drive for some reason.

I'm unsure what advice to offer at this point other than if you can somehow change the Xoom "folder type"

difussion3

Reaction score
Apparently my laptop is too old to handle the Xoom. I tried on a desktop with Vista and worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help.

mobius999

Reaction score
Those of you using Aldiko, have you noticed any spots where text is missing? I use Aldiko on my china pad and also my Evo, just got my Xoom wifi thanks to a Staples manager who did an override and sold me one early:)

I installed Aldiko and imported the book I've been reading. I noticed right away the sentence on the bottom of the page would not match the top of the next page when flipping. Not sure if only a sentence is missing or a whole paragraph or even a page.

I've played around with font sizes and that didn't solve anything. Is this a common issue with a workaround or am I alone in having this problem?