Best E-Mail Application for Exchange

bllarkin

Reaction score
HTC Exchange App (called Work Email)!

I am a former Touchdown user but ultimately moved away in favor or the HTC Exchange App, hacked out of the G1 by the XDA Developers It is available for download here, and provides full folder support, signatures, etc. (all the things the native droid exchange app is lacking). I have it tied to my hosted exchange account.

Re Touchdown - it worked as advertised but ditched because I preferred the native Corp Calendar (and available widgets) and Contacts apps rather than the Touchdown replacements.

I also use K-9 for my 2 IMAP Gmail accounts.

Thanks for the link, exactly what I needed. Wish it had a dark color scheme, but not a deal breaker.

JDROIDS

Reaction score
I wish they could make one e-mail client have spell check. This is getting ridiculous now. Still waiting.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
Does this support HTML mail? I'm only getting text. Otherwise, it seems like a good option.

Within the the app, go to Menu\More\Settings\Send & Receive. "Message format" is the second option.

bubblehead

Reaction score
+1 Touchdown

Tried the HTC Work email, it did work, but no contacts or calendar. I think touchdown is worth the money. The only problem I have found is merging contacts on Gmail and Outlook. Does anyone know any workaround or quick ways of doing this?

jhalsey205

Reaction score
Tried the HTC Work email, it did work, but no contacts or calendar. I think touchdown is worth the money. The only problem I have found is merging contacts on Gmail and Outlook. Does anyone know any workaround or quick ways of doing this?

Actually - this app allows for the best of both worlds (at least from my perspective). I use the HTC Work email app in place of the limited Droid "Email" Exchange client, but still rely on the native Corporate Calendar and Contacts app.

I set up the default Email app - which also connects with Calendar and Contacts, but in the Email settings, i have it set to "Never" check email and "Never" show email notifications. In the HTC Work Email app, i have those features turned on.

MJ5150

Reaction score
I am a former Touchdown user but ultimately moved away in favor or the HTC Exchange App....

I gave it a try based on your review here. I could not get it to connect to my company Exchange server after trying for about 10 minutes. I went back to TouchDown.

-Mike

bubblehead

Reaction score
Still prefer touchdown

Went back and tried it again. Still prefer touchdown due to editing capabilities and other functions. HTC work email is better than the native email client but touchdown it better than HTC. Still no good way of directly making changes to the contacts of from Outlook and Gmail at the same time.

Tatootie

Reaction score
Ive never understood the need for touchdown. The stock droid handles exchange perfectly imo. Contacts are synced, corporate calender too.
Can someone explain to me why they feel it is necessary? Am I missing something?

bubblehead

Reaction score
why I use touchdown

Ive never understood the need for touchdown. The stock droid handles exchange perfectly imo. Contacts are synced, corporate calender too.
Can someone explain to me why they feel it is necessary? Am I missing something?

I use it because it has ability to edit replys and fwds inline which means you can copy and paste text out of emails that have been sent to you. It also has a signature option which is required to be on all my corporate emails, along with more flexibility with attachments.

wingdo

Reaction score

Sure I can tell you why it works for me:

1) The stock services randomly drops my account forcing me to re-add it with quite some regularity. It's a ***** to get a call on a weekend and have the conversation start with "why haven't you responded to my e-mails" and notice that your account is no longer in the account settings.

2) I am required to have a signature file (as a side note, what kind of e-mail application aimed at professionals doesn't have the ability to attach a signature file?)

3) Outlook Tasks are synced

4) Meetings seem to be accepted correctly every time

5) HTML e-mail works even with Exchange 2k3 SP2 even with PUSH notification. It's the only e-mail client I have found which will display inline images for me in my setup.

6) Easy to find GAL addresses.

As a side note they also expect to have notes / memo syncing enabled soon.

Am I happy I had to buy an application so I could use corporate e-mail? No. But my other option was to return the Droid.

bllarkin

Reaction score
The other thing with Touchdown is that it allows support for more of the security protocols from Exchange and Activesync, I believe. I don't use it, as I don't need it necessarily and don't want to spend the $20 for it, but I see the draw. I prefer the look and feel of the way the built-in does it better (I loathe the Touchdown UI), but it needs to support things in the way that Touchdown does (in the way of email, calendar, and contacts features) and not wipe out its configuration.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check Touchdown's feature list and see if any of them sound useful to you. I find custom email notifications worthwhile (I don't want email notifications to be all-or-nothing). I can't recall all the other features that I find useful.

If you're happy with the stock app, stick with it. Not everyone will find every app useful.

Last edited:
OP
jnd121

jnd121

Reaction score
I actually had some pretty major issues with Touchdown. It did not send out 2 very important emails. There was no reason why it shouldn't have sent them. I reverted back to stock email which sends emails, but lacks in basic functionality.