Best camera

mightybuffalo

Reaction score
Would like to get the opinion of folks with hands on experience. Which phone has the best camera? I've heard the tb is pretty good. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
I never use the stock camera per say. I use an app "Camera360 Ultimate" yes it's an app you have to pay for but it's soooooo worth it. So many different settings the camera like HDR Simulation (will pretty much make your pictures High Def Resolution). It's only $3.99 and gives me better quality pics than my 14MP Kodak camera.

https://market.android.com/details?id=vStudio.Android.GPhotoPaid

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
Not sure which one is the best, but the O.G. Droid has to be the WORST!! :rating00:

born2golf

Reaction score
I never use the stock camera per say. I use an app "Camera360 Ultimate" yes it's an app you have to pay for but it's soooooo worth it. So many different settings the camera like HDR Simulation (will pretty much make your pictures High Def Resolution). It's only $3.99 and gives me better quality pics than my 14MP camera.

https://market.android.com/details?id=vStudio.Android.GPhotoPaid

This is misleading. HDR has nothing to do with resolution. Resolution is the number of pixels in your photo. HDR is a method of controlling the contrast in a photo (that is a very simplified explanation).

I say misleading, because while your explanation was inaccurate, your recommendation is still good. Camera 360 is a very good app. Personally I am using the Camera Advance app.

However, I think the OP was asking which phone has the best camera, physically. This has been explored in previous posts, and the general consensus is that that they all pretty much suck. However, this was before the most recent generation of phones. So I think the question is still up for debate.

The bottom line is that the the most important aspect of a good photo is the lens, the next most important being the lighting. Smartphones simply don't have the real estate necessary to allow for a quality lens, nor the power to light a flash bright enough for indoor shots. So in the end, if you can find a camera that has passable quality, that you can live with, then count your blessings.

That said, My wife's iPhone4 takes far better pictures than my Droid2. Sad but true.

vonfink13

Reaction score
The camera on my droid 1 stinks...but...vignette makes it much better...but it still stinks...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never use the stock camera per say. I use an app "Camera360 Ultimate" yes it's an app you have to pay for but it's soooooo worth it. So many different settings the camera like HDR Simulation (will pretty much make your pictures High Def Resolution). It's only $3.99 and gives me better quality pics than my 14MP camera.
No camera app can overcome limitations in the camera hardware. OP is asking about the camera itself, not the camera app.

Additionally, MP isn't the only measure of quality. It's just pixel count. There's far more to image quality than just pixel count. Any Droid owner knows this as there are cameras with lower MP that can outperform the Droid's camera.

greyghost04

Reaction score
Don't buy a phone for the camera. A $100 can buy you a pocket Nikon that will be much better than any phone camera. That said, I thing my Droid takes respectable pictures for what it is.

andjarnic

Reaction score
Born2Golf has it dead on. MP is purely the size of the image.. has nothing to do with quality. There are 5MP cameras that shoot much better images than 12MP cameras. It's the quality of the lens and the amount of light it can take in.

No app is going to make your camera take better photos. They modify the photo in some way, contrast, brightness, etc, that may make it look better than the original, and in the end that is probably all that matters.

Still, cameras are getting better, but like Born2Golf said, it will be years before you see the likes of a $100 10MP digital camera that you can buy now, in a phone. The quality of the lens + light intake is much better on those.

As for my original Droid 1..I think it takes excellent photos and shoots great video too. I've used videos of it in home movies and such and use it at my kids baseball games for photos and videos. I'd much prefer the Canon 5D or 7D.. but for what it does..it's fantastic in my opinion.

My wife's DroidX also takes excellent pictures and video. Of course, every phone I've seen so far has to be perfectly still or the shot comes out blurry.. and with no image stabilization, videos are jerky at best unless you have a steady hand.

I am hoping the Bionic shoots better video and pictures than my current droid.. assuming I can get one or something better doesn't come out that I get instead.. and assuming Verizon's 4G price stays intact.

UNC

Reaction score
Apple iPhone has the best camera, SE phones tend to have great cameras as well. Other than those two, every other brand's phone camera sucks... really.

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Well obviously I know he wasn't talking about an app. That's why I said "I don't use the stock camera per say" "I use an app" which if anyone has used it, it DOES improve the quality of your pictures. Regardless if my post was "misleading" or what have you (even though I didn't direct him to do anything, just stated an opinion so I'm not sure I misled him) it was my opinion. If you didn't like my suggestion then move on and post whatever you want. There's no need to pick apart someones post of their opinion. You can voice your own, leave mine alone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Last edited:

born2golf

Reaction score
Sorry. I wasn't trying to get you mad, and if I did I am sorry. If you read my whole post I agreed with you that your recommendation was good. And if you read the other replies it appears other people had the same comments about your reply.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Gritwater

Reaction score
The way I look at it... droids are a jack of all trades but a master of none. That said...the droid is plenty good enough camera that I don't need to carry around a seperate camera...a good enough mp3 that I don't need an ipod.... a good enough gps that I don't need a garmin. So whatever.

I will gladly give up a little performance for the convenience.
So far...my dx is outperforming my d2 so I wont complain

texting and driving on my Droid X...thanks tapatalk