Best camera I've ever bought! ... for $2.49

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't bought any apps other than More Icons widget and it's such a pain to put in the CC number that it's enough to keep me from needlessly spending a couple bucks here and there.

On my way to work today I was looking at the pictures from the stock camera and remembered about the discussion on the Pro Zoom Camera. So since it was a 2 hour ride and I wasn't driving, I thought I'd go through the effort of typing everything in. Holy crap! I didn't have to! It's stored in the phone.... I'm in trouble now.

Anyway got the app installed and have been playing with it. I like the quality improvement, the added zoom, the filters and I haven't even played with the other available features. There is one irritating thing that I noticed (and as I type this, I wonder if the stock app does the same). When I'm zoomed all the way out, the picture resolution is at 2592 x 1936 as I set the camera to do. But when I zoom in, it drops as low as 640 x 480, depending on how much I zoom in. So really it doesn't seem like zoom, but rather cropping the picture and blowing it up. Seems kind of sneaky.

Still like it much more than the stock. Using the volume button to control the zoom is almost worth the two and a half bucks in itself.

Good app.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
I haven't bought any apps other than More Icons widget and it's such a pain to put in the CC number that it's enough to keep me from needlessly spending a couple bucks here and there.

On my way to work today I was looking at the pictures from the stock camera and remembered about the discussion on the Pro Zoom Camera. So since it was a 2 hour ride and I wasn't driving, I thought I'd go through the effort of typing everything in. Holy crap! I didn't have to! It's stored in the phone.... I'm in trouble now.

Anyway got the app installed and have been playing with it. I like the quality improvement, the added zoom, the filters and I haven't even played with the other available features. There is one irritating thing that I noticed (and as I type this, I wonder if the stock app does the same). When I'm zoomed all the way out, the picture resolution is at 2592 x 1936 as I set the camera to do. But when I zoom in, it drops as low as 640 x 480, depending on how much I zoom in. So really it doesn't seem like zoom, but rather cropping the picture and blowing it up. Seems kind of sneaky.

Still like it much more than the stock. Using the volume button to control the zoom is almost worth the two and a half bucks in itself.

Good app.

As for your complaint about the zoom issue....

That's the way all digital zooms work. If you want something that actually zooms with a lens, you're going to have to buy a camera with a piece that actually moves in and out. Pretty common knowledge really.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I believe the size reduction is the result of the digital zoom over the optical zoom, which you pretty much nailed. Lower quality at higher zoom's.

My expensive HQ digital camera does this too at extremely high zoom. (16.9x - 67.5x)

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

Good app.

As for your complaint about the zoom issue....

That's the way all digital zooms work. If you want something that actually zooms with a lens, you're going to have to buy a camera with a piece that actually moves in and out. Pretty common knowledge really.
I never claimed to be common
w00t.gif

I believe the size reduction is the result of the digital zoom over the optical zoom, which you pretty much nailed. Lower quality at higher zoom's.

My expensive HQ digital camera does this too at extremely high zoom. (16.9x - 67.5x)
As I was reading these responses I started remembering the "optical zoom" vs "digital zoom"...
doh.gif

Well, strike that complaint. I guess the only other thing is the slowness to load everything on the home screen when you from the camera and press the home button. Really, these complaints don't come close to the good points for the app.