Best Buy Launches Buy-Back Program

p3ng

Reaction score
Fellow Droid users,

Today Best Buy launched its new Buy Back program. With all of the hot new phones coming our way from CES, this is an compelling option for early adopters and upgrade addicts.

What it is: when you buy your phone, you can choose to pay for "obsolescence insurance" with the new Buy Back program, which gives you up to 50% of your purchase price back. The prices for phones are $39.99 for phones under $350 retail, and $59.99 for phones over $350. The price you get is based on 3 things: original price, condition and how long you've had your phone.

How it works: see the chart in the source for a break down, but essentially as time goes by, you'll get a decreased value for your phone. Within 6 months and in good shape, and you'll get 50% of the retail of your phone on a gift card. 6-12 months, 40%; and so on. So if you buy a Droid X outright for 599.99 and want to upgrade to a Droid OMGamazing a year later, you'll get 240 bucks on a gift card toward that new phone. Here's the special thing about phone buy-backs: it's based on the price you paid original, PLUS any sort of applied discounts. So even if you got your Incredible for free and you want to trade in 6 months later, you'll still get half of the full retail price ($300!)

If you're comfortable online you can recoup your expenses via craigslist or other sites, but this gives you guaranteed value protection.

Thoughts? Questions?

Big Ry

Reaction score
So that's only with phones you originally purchased from best buy? Still not sure if its worth it...ebay can also get you a pretty penny on a fairly new device in like new condition.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
P

p3ng

Reaction score
Yes, this is only available for phones bought at best buy. Well, laptops, desktops, netbooks, tablets and TVs too. And if you purchase their black tie protection (best buys servic3 plan) you get half off the buy back fee. Not saying its the best deal, but has potential. I always hated paying eBay and paypal a percentage.

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
I'll take my chances on Craigslist. Their is always a sucker willing to pay!!! (Evil Laugh)