Best apps to freeze to improve battery

MrToneBonez

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Any suggestions on which apps are best to freeze using titanium backup that will enhance my battery life

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Also, read through this list:

Battery Life – BY: NoBloatware on DF

consider doing a factory reset. Do not sync apps, wifi connections, etc. with Google services as that may cause a problem. Install all apps and wifi connections from scratch. A bit of a pain, but not too bad.- install a home/launcher replacement. I use Go Launcher EX, which is free, and I love it. No reason not to try out an alternative launcher as you can always go back to how you had it.

- don't use an automatic task killer--not even the one that comes with the phone. Reboot your phone and look at what's running. If anything that you've installed is running and there's no reason for it, then uninstall it and find an alternative that behaves. Ignore any stock apps that run on boot as I've found them to be more or less benign.

- weather widgets, live wallpapers, news/social feeds, any app or service that you use that runs--do without it if you can.

- don't use antivirus

- the DLNA app pops up a dialog box that will set your WIFI sleep policy to never. The default is "turn off when screen turns off" and I personally think that this setting is the best thing for battery life. Under wifi settings view your connections then hit menu to see "Advanced options" where you can set the sleep policy

- if you have access to wifi, leave it toggled on as it is more efficient than 3G. This is different from the sleep policy.

- I leave GPS toggled on too by the way. Apps use it as needed. When I'm done with Maps or an app that uses it, I'm sure to return to the home screen so GPS can stop. Under wireless settings turn on "Google location services" so that an app is able to use network resources to get your location instead of GPS. I have "VZW location services" turned off--don't know why that option is even there. By the way, I increase the speed of voice output > text to speech > speech rate because I like the directions to get spit out faster. That saves a bit of battery. Turning off the display and just listening for directions help. Also, often I just get the directions and then exit back to the home screen: GPS uses so much battery I try to get it over with ASAP.

- when you get a new battery, do a factory reset, or an OS upgrade run your battery all the way down until the phone shuts off and then charge the battery all the way up. This will callibrate the phone's understanding of the battery's capacity. Do this once every month or two also, but don't do it too often if you can help it.

- I have my battery set to "Performance Mode" and data is on all the time because I am on call 24x7. If you don't mind, try out a more conservative battery profile to save more gobs of energy.

- set screen brightness to "Automatic"

- under Accounts, click on any account listed and turn off sync for any items that you're not interested in syncing. For example, Google Books if you don't use it. Don't use Backup Assistant--I prefer syncing my contacts with Google. You don't need both. Also go into your contacts > menu > display options > backup assistant > UNCHECK. Also do contacts > menu > more > settings > contact storage > and select your Google account and "remember this choice"

- if you never use bluetooth then toggle it off. If you do use it sometimes, it's fine to leave it toggled on all the time.

- consider turning off voice privacy. This may not be a big deal but it will save some processing (and therefore battery). It may also improve call quality.

- turn off haptic feedback, animations, and any un-needed sounds in Android settings and in your apps

- set your screen timeout to as low a time as you can stand (I use 1 minute) and manually turn the screen off when you're done using the phone. I use an app to lock the screen so I don't wear out my power button...as happened on my original droid.

- turn off in-pocket detection

- keyboard: turn off vibrate on keypress and sounds for any keyboards you use

- use a red screen background. On the original Droid screen--not sure about this Droid 3 screen--red was the most efficient color that could be displayed. Anyone know if this still holds true?

- camera app: i like keeping location on and flash on auto. Consider turning location off or at least returning to the home screen ASAP when using camera if location for camera is on.

- in stock browser the default home page is Google and it uses your location. This is a bad idea as it can waste your battery for no reason. Make something else your home page and make sure to close any web page that uses your location when you're done viewing it.

- charge your phone via the wall charger instead of computer USB as it is faster. Also, don't use long USB cords--use regular power extension cords instead. I stick with the charger that came with the phone.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
- use a red screen background. On the original Droid screen--not sure about this Droid 3 screen--red was the most efficient color that could be displayed. Anyone know if this still holds true?

From what I've read, the best colors for Pentile screens are Black and White. There was some write up on droid life about it I believe.

OP
MrToneBonez

MrToneBonez

Reaction score
After some research I found a site that has alot of info about bloatware rooting and more, best of all in one place. Hope it helps others as it helped me.

brkshr

Reaction score
Black is the best color background. Turns off all pixels.Here's a list of bloat I've removed Bionic APK list getting anywhere from 24 to 33 hours on standard battery