Best app so far! (Pinch to zoom browser and 100x faster internet)

badass3000

Reaction score
Its called PhoneMyPC.
lets you log into your home PC and control everything.
So you use your home internet instead of your phones browser.
It has pinch to zoom and connects faster than the phone can get to a single webpage.

only problem (other than the $10 cost) is video playback. Its a little choppy even with quality set to low. Still watchable.
Ill probably never use the phones browser again, maybe for videos.

Smity

Reaction score
That is a very cool looking and functional app! Only thing that worries me is they do not have SSL activated until the beta is complete.

knightshade

Reaction score
How would this result in a faster web experience?

Your now needing to forward a graphic, instead of the HTML content...
HTML will use far less bandwidth....

rebbie23

Reaction score

yeah, i agree.
you are essentially streaming video from your desktop to your phone, in no way is this faster.

OP
B

badass3000

Reaction score

yeah, i agree.
you are essentially streaming video from your desktop to your phone, in no way is this faster.
have you tried it?
I say its faster.
you get a new video frame every ~1/2 sec, if your home internet is broadband then you only have to wait 1-2 sec for every page. How is the phone ever going to be that fast? even on wifi?
I just tested my fav website. 16 sec for phone browser, 4 sec for PhoneMyPC.

Last edited:

swaldrop

Reaction score
You would really have to try it to believe it. I am still in shock at how sweet this app is. Not that it would ever replace my normal behavior (at least I don't think it would), but it is really impressive. The refresh rate is nearly instant as there is no real apparent lag when typing or anything, so if your computer can resolve the page faster, then you WILL see that result in near real time through the phone. The behavior is a bit cumbersome however as it is no longer optimised for a device as small as the phone, but sweet none the less. I will certainly use this as a tool to show off pics of the family, send a file that is only on my PC when I am not in front of it, etc... Flash works perfectly as well. Hopefully it only gets better

dajakal

Reaction score
IIRC, the developer of this app reads this board, so maybe he/she can pipe up. I'm definitely interested, if there's any more personal reviews please post!

swaldrop

Reaction score
Support for Windows 7?

Yes. I have Windows 7 and it installed without issue.

Definitely works best when you set it to the highest quality, although using the Wifi is nearly a must when doing so. It does work over 3G, but not nearly as seamless.

Reaction score
Pinch to zoom web browser, more like a remote desktop viewer, or a vnc viewer. Sorry to correct you. I just got disappointed after entering this thread and reading the posts.

Mayze

Reaction score
Awsome app! One thing though, what is the best way to scroll? I wish I could use the D-pad to scroll.