Benefits of Rooting

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
To get rid of the unwanted apps the manufacturers package with the phone. Best of all to install fast roms with the ability to overclock your phone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

blarsen1620

Reaction score
Well I was just telling a coworker I think the benefits are removing unwanted apps, being able to use apps that require root access, and the ability to add themes and non-stock software.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

OP
T

theburgh

Reaction score
Well I was just telling a coworker I think the benefits are removing unwanted apps, being able to use apps that require root access, and the ability to add themes and non-stock software.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

thank you to both of you. just got the wife one and wanted to research before rooting.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
What phone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

StingRay

Reaction score
removing unwanted apps appears to be the primary plus since there are no custom roms available for the Pro...

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
What are the benefits of rooting this device?
Be aware, if you root that phone you may have a problem being able to get the latest updates from Verizon or the manufacturer. No issue with rooting the phone, that is your decision, but be aware that if you remove "stock" apps you will probably not be able to apply the latest update. Recommendation if you root...rather than removing apps just rename them and move them to your sd card. That way you can easily put the phone back to "stock" condition by returning them to their original name and return the phone back to an unrooted condition before trying to install an update. You can then go back to root.

DroidToro

Reaction score
Don't remove apps. Use titanium backup to freeze them so they don't run. It's similar to uninstalling in that they can't run and their icons don't appear in the app drawer. You can always defrost them. Don't rely on restore from backup either. Some vendor apps will not restore properly. Titanium backup costs money but their freezing feature can be done manually, although it's lots easier with TB

Liberated Droid X

DroidToro

Reaction score
Other rooting benefits are: wireless tether, screen captures, full backups including rom. There are more i can't think of.

Liberated Droid X

OP
T

theburgh

Reaction score
Much thanks to the droid community for providing me information about rooting the droid pro. Based on what everyone is telling me I think I will keep stock at this point.

DroidToro

Reaction score
You're probably better off. You can do a lot more to FUBAR your phone when rooted then when not.

Some people root to gain specific functionality but most do it just for fun and hacking. It's like a hobby. The average person needs a phone as a means to accomplish other things. For many of those who root, the phone itself becomes the accomplishment. dancedroid

SonnyJack

Reaction score
Reason to Root

You're probably better off. You can do a lot more to FUBAR your phone when rooted then when not.

Some people root to gain specific functionality but most do it just for fun and hacking. It's like a hobby. The average person needs a phone as a means to accomplish other things. For many of those who root, the phone itself becomes the accomplishment. dancedroid

Yeah, I was going to have to take my Pro back to Verizon because the density level of 160 was just too small for me to comfortably read. Rooting allowed me to raise this to 190 and now it's perfect. Doubt I'll do anything else.

Sorry about a possible thread jack, but after rooting my phone my battery life is noticeably better. Any ideas why this would be?

StingRay

Reaction score
You may have removed some built in apps that could have been battery drainers..

Interesting about how you were able to change the display density after rooting.. didnt realize you could do that..

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk