Before I buy the Droid

struong57

Reaction score
Before I run out and buy the Motorola Droid, I would like to have a few concerns addressed first.

I have been using the Omnia, which has been a decent phone, but with its limitations. For instance, the Omnia has 8gb onboard storage memory in addition to my 8gb micro sd card; however, I keep getting a "Storage Memory Critical" error message. Does the Droid have any issues similar to this?

On the topic of memory, can the Droid's memory be upgraded? I know it comes with a 16gb card, but is that the largest capacity micro sd compatible with the Droid?

Last but not least, I keep my Omnia in my pants pocket all the time and when I have an incoming phone call, the slightest touch on the screen will answer the call. Does the Droid's screen remain locked even during an incoming call, and the screen requires to be unlocked before the call can be answered?

PridgNYC

Reaction score
Before I run out and buy the Motorola Droid, I would like to have a few concerns addressed first.

I have been using the Omnia, which has been a decent phone, but with its limitations. For instance, the Omnia has 8gb onboard storage memory in addition to my 8gb micro sd card; however, I keep getting a "Storage Memory Critical" error message. Does the Droid have any issues similar to this?
Not so far, I have never experienced any memory shortages and I have downloaded dozens of apps.

On the topic of memory, can the Droid's memory be upgraded? I know it comes with a 16gb card, but is that the largest capacity micro sd compatible with the Droid?
The 16Gb card can be upgraded to a 32Gb card when they become available.

Last but not least, I keep my Omnia in my pants pocket all the time and when I have an incoming phone call, the slightest touch on the screen will answer the call. Does the Droid's screen remain locked even during an incoming call, and the screen requires to be unlocked before the call can be answered?
When a new incoming call comes in, the screen wakes up so you can see who is calling, but you will have to swipe to unlock and answer the call. This is the default behavior, you can of course change it. I also keep my droid in my pants pocket and I have never accidentally answered the call while pulling it out.

Last edited:
OP
S

struong57

Reaction score
Sweet!. The Droid sounds like a winner to me. Can't wait to get it.
Thanks PridgNYC! :)

lmapp

Reaction score
Not to be a buzz-kill, but you may want to think about waiting until mid-December. Moto is supposed to be releasing an update for the os around Dec 11 to address some bugs.

I'm just sayin...

senor_1

Reaction score
Not to be a buzz-kill, but you may want to think about waiting until mid-December. Moto is supposed to be releasing an update for the os around Dec 11 to address some bugs.

I'm just sayin...

I agree with you. I'm waiting till mid December to see if the update fixes most of the bugs before picking up the droid. I have to say its hard waiting because I'm really anxious. Been using a BB 8330 for the last couple years and I'm tired of it freezing on me and the constant battery pulls.

lmapp

Reaction score
I didn't wait, and these bugs are driving me nuts. I would have much rather purchased it after Android 2.0 had been a little more de-bugged.

It's like no one thing is really a deal-killer, but all of these little things can add up. I suppose it comes down to how patient your are. Mine is really being tested.

BeefyBeefo

Reaction score

I'm just sayin...

I agree with you. I'm waiting till mid December to see if the update fixes most of the bugs before picking up the droid. I have to say its hard waiting because I'm really anxious. Been using a BB 8330 for the last couple years and I'm tired of it freezing on me and the constant battery pulls.

That's interesting. I've had many BBs and the 8330 was one of the most stable. :confused:

MikeDroid

Reaction score
Bugs...

There will be a software update on 12/11. I don't have my Droid yet, coming Monday!.. and I am sure I will run into things that typically happen with a new phone.

OP
S

struong57

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for 2 days now and can only say that I should have bought this phone sooner. Although the Droid is not flawless, it is pretty darn close. I'm sure the software update on December 11th will resolve all the issues mentioned in Verizon's memo. With this in mind, there is no reason to wait until after the software update to buy a Droid. The only thing you will do is lessen the amount of time experiencing the joy of owning a Droid, but also prolonging your contract with Verizon for the Droid sequel. :)