BEFORE! 2.2 official rollout. What to do? (root users)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think this thread is necessary to help the rooted users.

What happened last time was.....the rollout came out and alot of us were suffering from severe battery drain from the OTA continual download.

What i did was not really the right thing. I unrooted and took the update and had to reroot. Pain in the A$$.

What i should have done is just accept the update and let it download and let SPRecovery block it. Thats all that i really had to do. Wish i had known that before hand. That is why i started this thread.

If it is the same as the last update this is all you have to do.

1. accept it and let it download
2. SPRecovery will then block it
3. No more prompts to download the OTA
4. VOILA!!!

(if any of this information is incorrect please feel free to edit in your own post)

Thank you for spelling it out, because I had been told so many different stories I didn't know what to believe

I don't want to lose root because for all the good apps you have to be rooted it seems.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

alm0614

Reaction score
Yes, you should expect it. Just follow the instructions in the OP

I thought SPRecovery/BB modified the otacerts.zip so they wouldnt even get OTA updates.. i never got one for 2.1

If you're running a custom ROM it should block the update.

Thats what i thought.. thank you.

I think Huskur was just still upset from when my hokie beat his team :)

but i guess we shall see how the OTA goes for those who do get it.. i surely will be jumping to a FRG01b ROM shortly

jaitken0308

Reaction score
Go ahead and get mad, but I have a question

Alright, I know you're sick of seeing this question, but I'm having a hard time finding what I need. This is due to everyone on here being an "expert" and contradicting each other all the time.

I want to keep my 2.1 OS and root my Eris.

From what I've gathered on here, any 2.2 rom is too much for the Eris (although some disagree...one of these contradictions between experts I was referring to). Because of this, I'd like to keep my OS.

I've seen threads on this site, and others, about flashing 2.1 with root access (this was posted back before 2.1 was officially released). But I've also gathered that you can't upgrade to an OS that you already have (although some disagree...another contradiction).

So I've found several guides on how to root it w/o modifying the current OS (including the stickies), but it seems that some of the "experts" on here really enjoy talking in "tech speak" that only they can understand. (I work in the IT field, and am competent with computers, just not as much with cell phones).

To recap:
  1. I just want to root my phone without changing from the 2.1 OS.
  2. From what I've gathered, you can just download a zip file on your computer, mount your phone, drag the file over to the phone's SD card, and run the new file in bootloader mode.
Can anyone briefly help without just referring me back to the forum, and without getting frustrated. And is the info I've gathered from here accurate?

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
I thought SPRecovery/BB modified the otacerts.zip so they wouldnt even get OTA updates.. i never got one for 2.1

If you're running a custom ROM it should block the update.

Thats what i thought.. thank you.

I think Huskur was just still upset from when my hokie beat his team :)

but i guess we shall see how the OTA goes for those who do get it.. i surely will be jumping to a FRG01b ROM shortly

Yes, I still do think about both of the games!!!

The game in Lincoln i blame on coaching. We would have had the ball back one last time if it wasn't for Nebraska's coach being hot headed and the game last year 16-15 all due to a blown coverage in the secondary. Oh well, you win some you lose some. VT was lucky (and yes luck is a part of the game) to win the last one.

GO BIG RED!!!

jaitken0308

Reaction score
Point taken.

To the experts:

My apoligies. I can't ask you not to get frustrated with me while I'm openly frustrated.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright, I know you're sick of seeing this question, but I'm having a hard time finding what I need. This is due to everyone on here being an "expert" and contradicting each other all the time.

I want to keep my 2.1 OS and root my Eris.

From what I've gathered on here, any 2.2 rom is too much for the Eris (although some disagree...one of these contradictions between experts I was referring to). Because of this, I'd like to keep my OS.

I've seen threads on this site, and others, about flashing 2.1 with root access (this was posted back before 2.1 was officially released). But I've also gathered that you can't upgrade to an OS that you already have (although some disagree...another contradiction).

So I've found several guides on how to root it w/o modifying the current OS (including the stickies), but it seems that some of the "experts" on here really enjoy talking in "tech speak" that only they can understand. (I work in the IT field, and am competent with computers, just not as much with cell phones).

To recap:
  1. I just want to root my phone without changing from the 2.1 OS.
  2. From what I've gathered, you can just download a zip file on your computer, mount your phone, drag the file over to the phone's SD card, and run the new file in bootloader mode.
Can anyone briefly help without just referring me back to the forum, and without getting frustrated. And is the info I've gathered from here accurate?

OP, I moved you over here in hopes of getting a better answer. But as far as I know the Eris isn't included in this current update.

jaitken0308

Reaction score
To Drykeze:

I'm not sure if that would work. Is there a base Android OS for all Android phones, or is each one phone-specific? There are different threads for different phones, but I'm not sure if one root program would work for another phone.

Anyone else know?

jaitken0308

Reaction score
TO HOOKBILL:
(Sorry, figured the giant red letters would be easy to spot.)

Thanks for moving me over here, but I've noticed that this thread seems to inform ones who have already rooted and flahsed custom roms about whether or not they'll get notified when a new OS comes out (and yes, I've heard that the Eris will not get this update also). I just needed to know about rooting and keeping my current OS.

Also, if I do root and keep my current OS, will I lose root access if they do push the 2.2 update out to Eris users (assuming I choose to update it)?

jaitken0308

Reaction score
Ok, so my question still remains. (Sorry if any hostility comes in out in my posts, but I'm constantly getting the run-around). Can someone please explain, in English, how to root my Eris and keep my 2.1 OS?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, so my question still remains. (Sorry if any hostility comes in out in my posts, but I'm constantly getting the run-around). Can someone please explain, in English, how to root my Eris and keep my 2.1 OS?

If the eris has a custom recovery image it will fail the system check and hince the update will not go through.