Beep for missed call despite being in priority / silent mode after 5.1 update

chakfu

Reaction score
I'm a sensitive sleeper and work odd hours so I typically keep the phone silent. I was annoyed to see silent mode replaced with priority mode in lollipop 5.1 but am keeping an open mind with regard to the added flexibility.

However, I've found a terrible problem. Despite being in priority mode, I am still awakened by a system beep after phone calls. I tested calling from a landline - the ringtone is properly silenced, but a system beep still occurs when I hang up the landline! This occurs whether it is set to 'priority' or 'none' and defeats the purpose of silencing the ringtone in the first place!

I also received a text ringtone despite being in priority mode - however, I was actively typing text replies at that time, and if that is the reason it's likely not a big deal (but still a problem if I, for instance, want to text from bed without waking the wife.)

But the missed call beep is a HUGE problem. I've seen reports of other system sounds like low battery warning occurring despite silent/priority mode. Frankly I think this breaks the entire silent/priority mode feature and I'm shocked that I haven't seen any outcry on forums - other than a couple of lunatics saying they would want to be disturbed for a low battery warning.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone have suggestions for workarounds? I tried disabling dialpad sounds but that didn't work; I can't find a setting for end call tone; call connect, battery full, network lost, etc are all unchecked.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The thread from 2010 probably won't help you..being as though 5.1 is brand new..so to speak..

OK..why do you use priority mode??? That mode is to silence all BUT features you give priority too...say..I need sleep but my sick sister is supposed to call or text or whatever... Tap on none..then select indefinitely this should silence your phone completely... Hopefully I haven't misread your post and hopefully this helps..
To turn it back up to the volume rocker up and select all...

To change what's in your priority settings..tap volume down tap priority and there is a gear..priority exceptions that's where you turn on and off the "priority beeps"..

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Also..welcome to droid forums

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
Yes, I believe you've misread the post. I use priority mode so I will receive sound for alarms but not phonecalls. Despite this, I am receiving a beep for missed calls - even though the ringtone silencing works properly, I still receive an additional beep after the caller hangs up. This actually occurs regardless if whether I use "priority" or choose "none" for complete silence.

I mentioned the 2010 thread to note that similar problems have been reported sporadically with different versions, even though mine only occurred after the 5.1 update.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You may need to clear the cache on the phone or if worse comes to worse..do an fdr..perhaps another member here has dug into those settings and will be able to help further..if not..I'll see what I can find shortly

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Check your settings when you select priority, tap the gear and make sure the calls slider is toggled off..that's the only time I get the beep is when it's toggled on..

You could try turning it on..then turning it off and rebooting the phone...see if that clears it up..

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
So you're not getting the missed call beep? And you're not confusing the beep with the ringtone? Obviously with the calls toggled on in priority you should hear the ringtone and I guess the beep. Actually, I don't remember hearing a beep for missed calls even with volume on before the upgrade- only after hanging up connected calls.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No..sorry..I can't replicate your issue...

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
There is no "complete silent" on 5.1, only "priority", and " none " for interruptions with alarms only heard with priority. But that is irrelevant because my problem is a beep occurring after a missed call, occurring with both settings.

Does anyone else even get a system beep with a missed call when the caller hangs up (even with normal audible volume settings? ) I will check on my wife's razr maxx sometime.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The razr maxx is running a different UI ..so it would be different.... The only thing I can think of is to check your missed call settings..and possibly your audio settings..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Also for complete silence..select none...and indefinitely.. And it will be completely quiet...

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
Unfortunately,as i have stated, even after selecting none and indefinitely I receive this system beep after missed calls.

Let's leave aside the interruption settings. Can anyone with turbo on 5.1 confirm whether they even receive a beep when a missed call hangs up, similar to the beep when powering down or hanging up a connected call?

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
Where are "missed call settings"?

BTW the beep does not occur with normal shutdown, although if I recall correctly it does with low battery warning or battery related shutdown.

To reiterate - following the 5.1 upgrade I receive a system beep, such as I previously heard when ending a call, which now occurs when an incoming call stops ringing. This is not affected by silence/priority settings. Can anyone reproduce this on any volume/silence setting?