Beatweek Iphone Phanboy

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
we should bombard his article with so many posts saying hes bs that they cant keep up with editing it and people will see it hahaha icrap fanloser

The guy wants hits to his site....Funny, because he's probably relying on the size and fervor of the Android community to pay the bills.

I suggest an ignore policy of people who print BS you don't like. The guy will not make one penny off me.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
well at least he posted the cnn article now...

edit - i'm slow...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's disappointing but figures he would moderate his responses. I've never been to this sight before this article popped up on my Google news feed. I have met many Android users and this has to be made up. Not a single one has ever said they would leave, especially for Apple. And the Android users that I have met that have used the Iphone said they won't go back. Hell my mom tried Android (she has the 3gs) and she wants to get an Android phone when her contract ends. This person is INSANE!

My guess is the survey question was loaded, something like "will you buy another Droid/IPhone/N1".

Of course, each new IPhone is an IPhone. But there are lots of Android alternatives and I don't know which one I'll get. However, clearly your next phone CANNOT be another Droid or N1.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much apple pays for this nonsense.. I get people everyday switching from the IPhone..

That is a great question. It is a FACT that surveys can be rigged and that companies do sometimes pay to have a rigged survery published as objective data. As the article illustrates, Apple and AT&T have been badly in need of some good PR.

The only thing I believe about that survey is 80% of IPhone users would buy another (and didn't Jobs say about 80% of IPhone4 sales were upgrades?). Many IPhone users seem to exhibit what can only be described as "blind loyalty". Comical watching them gush over "new" features that were stock Droid 9 months ago. They have no idea - and generally no interest - in amazing features and capabilities their IPwned denies them.

Only 20% would buy another Android phone? That finding is not the least bit believable.

Of course "survey can be rigged." However, the Yankee Group is a reputable firm that would be crazy to rig its results. (I was in that business for a lot of years and can assure you that no reputable firm wants to be known as telling a client what they want to hear. It's sure death. Fortune 500 companies pay for reliable intelligence, not to be stroked.)

Though I haven't seen the questions asked, I strongly suspect that the results regarding the Android phones stems from the fact that if someone asks a consumer if they would buy another "android phone," the consumer would be at a loss to answer. What would it look like? How big is the screen? What would the UI be like? None of those questions have to asked about iPhones. All are questions a consumer would have to have answered before they could say whether they would like to have another Android phone.

Having said that, however, it's still worth noting that this forum is filled with questions and issues experienced by new users. To note just one topic, trying to figure out that one's cache has to be cleared periodically in order maintain good performance on the Droid is hardly a strong point for the Android platform. Just as the fact that "battery pulls" are a fact of life for BlackBerry's hardly recommends the RIM platform.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love that in his reply's he admittedly gave up that he was here at DF watching us. He must be a little worried about something to be trolling Android forums and gearing up for Ubergeeks to bomb his article. I chose not to smack talk him but to ask him "why so uncouth". Whats with the back lash to anyone's responses.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
gearing up for Ubergeeks to bomb his article. I chose not to smack talk him but to ask him "why so uncouth". Whats with the back lash to anyone's responses.

Doubtful. He's probably trying to gauge how much backlash he's stirred up and eagerly awaiting hits to his site to spike.

People like him ARE worried about the success of Android. They ARE desperately trying to convince themself their IPhone is better and not mid-tier by Android standards. Because - what's the saying - there would be no need otherwise to write an article stating the obvious.

Apple IS worried about Android. That's obvious. While I hardly consider folders and multi-tasking innovative or a stolen idea, the fact is IPhone is behind the curve. And it's also pretty obvious Jobs' comments regarding other smartphones and carriers have become increasingly defensive.

Truth is the Droid exploded the Android platform. The UI is not as good, yet, but the comparisons stop there. But Android is growing and improving at lightening speeds, and by year's end with the new phones and Gingerbread it will be pretty obvious to even non-fanboys the hardware and software is simply better. A lot of analysts bashing IPhone and AT&T already recognize this, and it will become increasingly obvious that the IPhone is becoming a mid-tier smartphone. For fanboys who love the IPhone first and foremost as a status symbol, the reality that it's a mid-tier smartphone is difficult to reconcile so they move to the land of pretend and make-believe.

J

Johnly

I thought it was weakbeat? Oh well, the net is for everyone.....writers and kids alike, lol : )

LatinaC09

Reaction score
i don't understand what people don't get at&t's service sucks! i know so many people with their service who complain about it. and the iphone? psshhh......i got my Droid who i'm gonna be kickin it with for a long time. till i get another droid at least lol

OP
BasilofBakerStreet
Reaction score
Maybe we should host our own "official" survey. But it may be bias here. But it would be neat to see a REAL survey and the REAL results.

Sent from your Droid

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should host our own "official" survey. But it may be bias here. But it would be neat to see a REAL survey and the REAL results.

Sent from your Droid

Well, someone said Yankee Group is a reputable market research firm, and I do remember hearing the name now. That said, Apple or AT&T wouldn't be paying for this for accurate market data - pure PR piece.

I'd assume - though I can't be sure - that being a reputable firm they wouldn't ask loaded questions (i.e. questions designed to influence the desired answer) given to them by Apple or AT&T. But who knows in these tough economic times.

I'm on a few other boards where people have Droids (so not the geeky fanboys like here) and I don't think I've seen a single complaint. I don't buy 20% at all, but I can't offer a very good explanation how they got that - maybe the CNN writer misinterpreted data or intentionally took it out of context (very possible). Maybe android owners are more demanding having their eyes opened to the potential (as opposed to IPhone users who just gush over the next "perfect" phone Jobs graces them with). Definitely something to be said for an IPhone user who is "wowed" by folders, eventhough it will only hold 12 apps, vs. an Android user who, upon getting tether, is disappointed they can't tether their PC and PS3 at the same time (just making up an example).

I will say, if you asked me if I planned to purchase my current handset again (Droid, N1, whatever), I would say "NO" knowing A) the Droid is discontinued and Droid 2 doesn't appeal to me B) there are a lot of handsets, even by different mfrs, to choose from but I would stick with an Android device.

Another possible funky bias: Any guess to how many average users know their OS is Android? Might be surprised by how many don't know that.

n8pbm

Reaction score
The 20% is easy to explain. The question was most likely "Will you buy another Android Phone (Or another simular phone) when you upgrade? Most people will say I don't know. Who knows what will be available then.

Where IPhone users are usually loyal (and satisfied) and the IPhone is a highly reconizable name. So most of them do know they want the upgrade.

Of course the above is based on my opinion as I have no idea what the question was.

The article took the 20% and tried to say that 80% were not satisfied. The article never claimed that.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
my .02 on this is if this was a real survey then user probably just recently found out about android (thanks to droid 1) and would be new to the android world and iphone has been popular for how many years??

also coming from any phone IMO android is a bit hard to get used to (thanks to all its features and customization) i wanted an iphone for quite a while then i saw this commercial showing the G1 and the biggest thing that caught my eye was that you could have no icons to how ever many icons you want in what ever placement you wanted PLUS A BACKGROUND!!!! not just a 4x4 grid that you could rearrange

i had an itouch for a while i jailbroke it the first day i got it so i could do "some" customization but it didnt do it for me

haha sorry i went on a rant that wasnt needed

my point is

Iphone:

easy to use
familiar
history

Android:

new (so not familiar and no history)
and hard to get used to

so i could see why some new android user would wanna switch

and this is coming from when i wasnt so much of a geek and wanted a phone with games and that was "cool"

but android definitely won my heart