bbc iplayer in droid

angelman

Reaction score
I am sure this may be more relevant once this becomes popular in Europe. I love listening to the BBC on the web. I know that in the US we cant access the full iplayer with tv etc. but we can listen to the bbc radio stream.
I know the iphone can play bbc streams through the bbc iplayer but the droid doesnt like it. Maybe when flash is working it will? I tried to find an app for it but they mainly seemed to be to get streaming tv and be country specific ie. they only were for uk phones.
I tried the droidzone to get other internet radio stations on shoutcast which seems to work pretty well, but not bbc of course.

kgundry1

Reaction score
Angelman, your question, to which no-one replied, was posted last November. Now in September 2010, the Droid can have Android 2.2 and Flash 10.1, as mine has, and the problem remains. I am in the US. On a PC using a browser I can connect to the BBC and listen to BBC radio channels using their iPlayer (I am listening as I type). TV is blocked but radio is not. However, if I try entering the same URL in a browser on the Droid, what actually is accessed is different (a different URL appears), iPlayer can be loaded and I can choose among radio channels, but then I get a notice saying "We do not currently support BBC iPlayer outside the United Kingdom". That is, radio is not blocked on a full PC but is on Droid. That doesn't make sense. Has anyone found a way round?

kgundry1

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
Actually I may have some good news for you on this front. One of the first things I tried when I got flash was the bbc website and it works! Like you I found the problem with the bbc blocking iplayer on the phone. The problem is that it always redirects you to the mobile website which has content optimised for mobiles but is barred outside the UK.
For the time being at least though there is a beta version of iplayer which does work
BBC iPlayer - iPlayer Radio Home

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
damn now I see the beta is nolonger there and we are barred again :(

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
I think I tried it with dolphin browser spoofing as a desktop but it still didnt work, have you tried that recently?

kgundry1

Reaction score
Angelman, Yes, I tried too and the Droid browser again goes to the blocked site. Surely there must be a way to force a browser to go to the URL one enters instead of being redirected to somewhere else.

kgundry1

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
the problem is not the browser it's the bbc that is somehow detecting the use of a mobile device and doing the redirection. No matter what URL you use the bbc will always redirect you. On their website they said there should be a link to the desktop version but I don't see that. Maybe that is uk only or something.
Bummer either way

kgundry1

Reaction score
Angelman et al.
I don't know what inspired me, but I loaded another browser, Skyfire (which I think is dreadful, and it simply doesn't do what the on-line video says it does!) and to my surprise entering BBC Radio 3 actually works, in the US. I am sure therefore that it will work with at least the BBC radio channels ... but probably not TV.
kgundry1

Sanakee

Reaction score
This works perfectly in Skyfire 3.2.2.I wish I would have found this post first before finally finding an Iplayer apk which didn't work.The link is a great find.Thank you so much!!!! Now when the HDMI cable arrives and the real HDMI apk I'll be able to watch BBC tv on my television!!!!!Thanks again