Battle For CPU Supremacy: NVIDIA Calls Out Apple on Speed Claims of A5X vs. Tegra 3

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if we're going to talk marketing hype, Apple ain't the only guilty one out there! They're just the perfect storm of a quality product and genius marketing. But they all do it... I guess that's why it's marketing.

Speaking of marketing, has everybody seen the movie Idiocracy? :happy3: Overhyped marketing always reminds me of that movie...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well if we're going to talk marketing hype, Apple ain't the only guilty one out there! They're just the perfect storm of a quality product and genius marketing. But they all do it... I guess that's why it's marketing.

Speaking of marketing, has everybody seen the movie Idiocracy? :happy3:

Go away! I'm Baitin!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple does have a rabid cult-like following. I have seen it. It exists. And while I currently prefer Android, if Apple came out with something that met my needs better, I would not hesitate to buy it.

That's true of any company that has been around for a long time. All companies have a blind following, all sports teams, coke or pepsi, yada yada yada. That in no way reflects the hardware, bike, whatever that is being sold. I know nothing about bikes so I trust your opinion there and I completely respect your opinion not to like Apple. I just can't handle the people who hate Apple because some hipsters have decided they are the go to brand. I am not saying that is you but you read the posts in these forums long enough and there is no shortage of those kinds of people. I don't know that I would ever own an iOS product but for right now I will never buy a PC, maybe it's just me but I spend far too much time having to worry about it breaking than I do getting functional use out of it (maybe a little exaggeration there). I don't think I am in the minority either when I buy a new Mac because it's stable, it's good hardware, it lasts and yes "it just works". The fanboys of any brand will always be the loudest voice and I just think it's unfair of people to base their emotions off that alone.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Speaking of marketing, has everybody seen the movie Idiocracy? :happy3: Overhyped marketing always reminds me of that movie...

+1. There is not one company in the world that wouldn't want Apple's success in product quality and marketing know-how. Marketing is 99% of any successful business. If it wasn't everyone would be a multi-millionaire.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's all about the Electrolytes - the iPhone is made with Electrolytes.

(that's an Idiocracy reference in case anybody was wondering wth I was talking about)

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's true of any company that has been around for a long time. All companies have a blind following, all sports teams, coke or pepsi, yada yada yada. That in no way reflects the hardware, bike, whatever that is being sold. I know nothing about bikes so I trust your opinion there and I completely respect your opinion not to like Apple. I just can't handle the people who hate Apple because some hipsters have decided they are the go to brand. I am not saying that is you but you read the posts in these forums long enough and there is no shortage of those kinds of people. I don't know that I would ever own an iOS product but for right now I will never buy a PC, maybe it's just me but I spend far too much time having to worry about it breaking than I do getting functional use out of it (maybe a little exaggeration there). I don't think I am in the minority either when I buy a new Mac because it's stable, it's good hardware, it lasts and yes "it just works". The fanboys of any brand will always be the loudest voice and I just think it's unfair of people to base their emotions off that alone.

I was an Apple fan. I purchased several iPhones. But their marriage to AT&T started the dominoes falling. Dropped calls everywhere. Then I started playing with the phone and was wondering why this "world's greatest phone" could not send MMS pics like any cheap flip-phone had been doing for over a year. Then I wondered why I could not copy and past between apps, when I had done that a year prior with my Windows phone. Then I wanted to customize things a bit and was told, "No, we are Apple and we will decide how we let you use your phone"... It started a snowball effect and I realized that I had bought into the hype like everyone else, and didn't see all the limitations that doing so would place upon me.

I don't hate their products. I hate their attitude, mostly fostered by that nutcase Steve Jobs. The guy was a loon and it showed in his overzealous desire to control anything and everything down to the latest detail. His crusade against Android, after years of whining as the underdog about MS, only to become worse than MS had ever been, just smacked of hypocrisy.

It was the attitude of the company, from the CEO on down that bled into the core customer base who would buy a dog turd if it had an Apple logo on it, that just baffled me and eventually turned me off.

I wanted to complete a call without having it drop. I wanted the same functions that the rest of the market got last year but Apple held back intentionally to either sell me an app or coerce me into another upgrade to get it. I got tired if being told what I wanted, rather than listening to me. And I mean the collective me, as in "we".

Do you think it is coincidence that of the top 20 wish list for the last release of iOS, 17 of them were already standard Android features, many of them for over a year at that point?

It's that, "We know better than you, just pay your $400 and enjoy the few crumbs we allow you to have" attitude that drove me away. It seems that it is great for stockholders, but it wasn't good for me.

So I don't hate their product, just as I don't hate an HD motorcycle. But I do see through the BS and I won't pay goof money for one when there are so many better options available. I am the customer, I am paying good money for my phone, let me decide how to use it. I don't want to be special, I just want it to do what I want and if I want to customize or change it, I don't want to have to wait a year to upgrade the damned phone and still not have everything I wanted the year before. LOL

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some good reasoning there... now that the iPhone is on Verizon, I've pretty much forgotten about how bad it was as an actual phone early on with AT&T.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some good reasoning there... now that the iPhone is on Verizon, I've pretty much forgotten about how bad it was as an actual phone early on with AT&T.

It was horrendous. 8-10 dropped calls a day, for a year. Didn't matter if I was driving around Atlanta, or sitting in my living room. Girlfriend had several iPhones, same deal.

And the MMS and copy and paste stuff... really irritating because there was no reason to hold back what were essentially industry standard features. They did it because they wanted some items to put in the "upgrade" next year, or to sell you an app to do what the phone should have done out of the box. That made me angry. And it was not the only example of that.

Trying to sue someone for jailbreaking their own phone? Really? They wanted that to be illegal?

I could go on for hours, but the bottom line is that there are pages of examples that one could put down of Apple just really being jerks, and so as a company, I don't like how they operate, no matter how much money their stockholders make...

alboboy10

Reaction score
I love how in every new version of iOS apple adds something new from android and then takes a shot at android right after.

Defensive before getting attacked.

We live in a world where $ controls everything. If it didn't apple would have been gone by now.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I really don't see how they can compare the A5X directly to the Tegra 3. The A5X is on iOS, the Tegra 3 is on Android.
The consequence of an operating system that can use a great deal of different hardware is that it is slower at using that hardware. That's just a fact of life. More likely these two processors are fairly similar in performance. Comparing iOS hardware to Android hardware is comparing apples to oranges, because the OS does not use them equally.

Apple is really attacking Android here. And they're right. iOS is better than Android at taking advantage of its hardware. We knew that already. Come back to me when you have widget and live wallpaper support, Apple. Come back to me when you have larger screens that I can see better, or ways to invoke menus without wasting screen space. Come back to me when important features don't launch by pressing the home button a fourth or fifth time. Come back to me when you have theming support, support for new fonts, file managers, or the ability to pull your battery if your phone freezes.
Come back to me when you have that, Apple, and maybe then I'll care.

alboboy10

Reaction score
People should really stop buying their products. Idk why you'd pay 2000 for a laptop that other companies offer for far cheaper. U can get a chrome book for 300. Granted its not as nice because its a brand new os but its actually really polished because unlike android they didn't rush it.

Personally I don't see myself leaving android especially for apple. Or any of their products of that matter.

I support android because they have better ethics when it comes to business. Apple is a bully. And if people keep paying for their products they're gonna just become wealthier and eventually become a monopoly.

Then have fun paying 1500 for tablets when they're the only company making them.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to be a big specs, benchmarks fiend. Until the Droid X1 and Galaxy S1 came out. On paper and spec wise the GS1 was gonna be the better phone benchmark wise...until actual benchmarks came out. Samsung did something different than Moto and other Android manufactures that effected performance of the GS1. After rooting and doing extra stuff.... the GS1 was better on benchmarks.

That was the beginning of me not really getting caught up in benchmarks and specs too much anymore. I think for Apple to say the chip in the new iPad is faster than Tegra 3....they need to put a Tegra 3 in a new iPad for real apples to apples comparisons. Posts above makes a good point I never really thought about....iOS is better than Android at taking advantage of the hardware. Cant really do that on Android anyway since more than 1 chip manufacture can be used.

But since the iPad 2 we saw from benchmarks that Apple was using top notch chips, good for them. Like the WP7 folks would tell me in debates....iOS doesnt really need it anyway. Android does. And with all that...I would still take the one that gave me better battery life. So if the 5th core holds true for Tegra 3 for battery life...I would take it any day over a faster chip.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to be a big specs, benchmarks fiend. Until the Droid X1 and Galaxy S1 came out. On paper and spec wise the GS1 was gonna be the better phone benchmark wise...until actual benchmarks came out. Samsung did something different than Moto and other Android manufactures that effected performance of the GS1. After rooting and doing extra stuff.... the GS1 was better on benchmarks.

That was the beginning of me not really getting caught up in benchmarks and specs too much anymore. I think for Apple to say the chip in the new iPad is faster than Tegra 3....they need to put a Tegra 3 in a new iPad for real apples to apples comparisons. Posts above makes a good point I never really thought about....iOS is better than Android at taking advantage of the hardware. Cant really do that on Android anyway since more than 1 chip manufacture can be used.

But since the iPad 2 we saw from benchmarks that Apple was using top notch chips, good for them. Like the WP7 folks would tell me in debates....iOS doesnt really need it anyway. Android does. And with all that...I would still take the one that gave me better battery life. So if the 5th core holds true for Tegra 3 for battery life...I would take it any day over a faster chip.

I have a transformer prime and i'll tell you it's great battery life. if you're using it constantly all day everyday you can easily get 9-10 hours out of it (again, non stop usage). If you use it very little, or even moderately, you can get days out of it. I plugged my transformer in this morning having not used it as much this past week because i had a ton of work to do, and the battery stats told me 5d14h37m...i used it everyday this week, maybe an hour or two at a time, so its definitely not heavy usage, but still 5 days on one charge is pretty sweet.

doublea500

Reaction score
Does not matter if ipad gpu is slower or faster then nvidia. why?- the majority of apple users dont even know what a gpu is, and when was the last apple nvidia fan fan you encountered? im sure even the reporters had no idea, what tablets even include the nvidia driver. Though i cant say much about the android tablets, and i love android and hate apple with all my heart :D, i think the ipad controls on this race. Android tablet software cannot match the ipad software.

doublea500

Reaction score
I was an Apple fan. I purchased several iPhones. But their marriage to AT&T started the dominoes falling. Dropped calls everywhere. Then I started playing with the phone and was wondering why this "world's greatest phone" could not send MMS pics like any cheap flip-phone had been doing for over a year. Then I wondered why I could not copy and past between apps, when I had done that a year prior with my Windows phone. Then I wanted to customize things a bit and was told, "No, we are Apple and we will decide how we let you use your phone"... It started a snowball effect and I realized that I had bought into the hype like everyone else, and didn't see all the limitations that doing so would place upon me.

I don't hate their products. I hate their attitude, mostly fostered by that nutcase Steve Jobs. The guy was a loon and it showed in his overzealous desire to control anything and everything down to the latest detail. His crusade against Android, after years of whining as the underdog about MS, only to become worse than MS had ever been, just smacked of hypocrisy.

It was the attitude of the company, from the CEO on down that bled into the core customer base who would buy a dog turd if it had an Apple logo on it, that just baffled me and eventually turned me off.

I wanted to complete a call without having it drop. I wanted the same functions that the rest of the market got last year but Apple held back intentionally to either sell me an app or coerce me into another upgrade to get it. I got tired if being told what I wanted, rather than listening to me. And I mean the collective me, as in "we".

Do you think it is coincidence that of the top 20 wish list for the last release of iOS, 17 of them were already standard Android features, many of them for over a year at that point?

It's that, "We know better than you, just pay your $400 and enjoy the few crumbs we allow you to have" attitude that drove me away. It seems that it is great for stockholders, but it wasn't good for me.

So I don't hate their product, just as I don't hate an HD motorcycle. But I do see through the BS and I won't pay goof money for one when there are so many better options available. I am the customer, I am paying good money for my phone, let me decide how to use it. I don't want to be special, I just want it to do what I want and if I want to customize or change it, I don't want to have to wait a year to upgrade the damned phone and still not have everything I wanted the year before. LOL

i wish every apple fan was as open as you are. whenever i see a iphone user, they seem so ignorant about their phones and just say its the best. they dont even have 4g and are on screen that my d1 had 2+ years back. They think siri is the feature of the future (note to self, keep that saying) and they dont even use it.