Nexus 9 with NVIDIA Tegra K1 Finally Beats Single Core Apple A8 Geekbench Performance

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
geekbench-nexus9-wins.png

One of the things that Apple has almost always been able to faithfully claim is that their single-core performance for their A series processors tends to be quite a bit faster than anything Android has to offer. This is one of the reasons why Apple hasn't rushed toward multi-core processors. Of course, the "king of the hill" rarely stays in that position forever, and that is what we can witness now.

The new HTC-made Nexus 9 tablet has bested the single-core performance of the Apple A8 processor by quite a large margin in the Geekbench synthetic benchmarks. As you can see from the pic above, the NVIDIA Tegra K1 processor with 192 CUDA core Kepler GPU scores a whopping 1903 in single-core numbers on Geekbench. The next closest competitor is the A8 processor in the Apple iPhone 6 with a score of 1630.

As an interesting side-note, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 actually bests all other chips in multi-core performance (3259.67), although it only pulls ahead of the Nexus 9 by a small margin (3166). This bodes well for those who want to play games on the Nexus 9, because mobile games typically aren't as optimized for multi-core processors as well as they could be. Combine that with the amazing Kepler GPU tech, and we have the makings of a mobile gaming tablet that could rival PCs and/or consoles from last generation.

Source: PhoneArena

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Hooray! I've always preferred Nvidia's chipsets to Qualcomm's, or even Samsung's own Exynos line. The Tegra 4 was a huge flop because of all the publicity that the Snapdragon 800 got, so I'm hoping the K1 really shakes things up.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I wonder how the new iPads will bench?

IsixedThat

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Hooray! I've always preferred Nvidia's chipsets to Qualcomm's, or even Samsung's own Exynos line. The Tegra 4 was a huge flop because of all the publicity that the Snapdragon 800 got, so I'm hoping the K1 really shakes things up.
I agree. The tegra 4 just wasn't put into enough devices. I'm guessing they were charging to much for it. I'd love to see this put into a phone. Who knows why they didn't put the k1 into the nexus 6. It would have done a better job of showcasing lollipop and 64bit in all of its glory.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The K1 would eat a phone's battery life for lunch.

IsixedThat