Battery

Kenyon1

Reaction score
So I have had this rezound for about 3 weeks and I have learned to turn off wifi when im not using it and turn down the screen brightness. But my battery still gets eaten like a fat kid and a chocolate cake. Is there a problem with my battery?

My dad has the thunderbolt and he leaves on wifi, his screen brightness is all the way up and he is constantly playing angry birds. Yet his battery lasts all day!

Any tips?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Your battery drain is probably mostly due to 4G and some app checking in(like facebook) and just wrecking your battery. Firstly there are a good couple threads on battery life and how to preserve it..check them out. Secondly if battery life is a big concern for you, my suggestion is to get an extended battery. I can run a day + with mine. Although since I'm near a charger most every day I usually run my normal battery and even that goes about 12-14+ hours.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go to settings, about phone, battery, whats been using my battery and see what your biggest users are. On mine it is screen followed closely by cell standby because my cdma reception at home is very weak.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

OP
K

Kenyon1

Reaction score
That battery use in settings explained a lot! Thanks for the help. Ill also look into the extended battery.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

acousticshade

Reaction score
What should you be getting for uptime with the stock battery? Right now I've turned off pretty much everything including 4G & wifi and am only getting a little over 2 hours of uptime & about 10+ hours total (71% screen, 15% on various games & the rest split between phone, web, apps, etc). I had the screen at about 33% and turned it down to about 25% to see what I get tomorrow. The phone is brand new, so I've only conditioned it for 2 days, but 2 hours of uptime is absolutely ridiculous.

I heard somewhere that you should be able to get 4-6 hours of uptime, which is not great, but acceptable, since that's what I was getting with my Eris. Can the uptime really double or triple with another week of conditioning? 2 hours is not acceptable!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know about doubling but it should get better by about 7-10 days.
Might I suggest you get an app called.Watch Dog Lite and see if there is anything running in the foreground that you aren't using? foreground is using cpu cycles, thus eating battery if you aren't using it. An example of what I've run into is Handcent every now and then moves itself to the foreground and I've got an alert set to tell me and when it does I kill it and it behaves for a couple of days before doing it again.
You can also look at the graph in what's using my battery on a larger scale by tapping the scale. I've found i get large chunks of battery drop ,when idle, if my phone loses its cdma signal, which is not unusual in my house on any Verizon phone I've ever had.
Also under power settings you might try turning it from power to normal to see if that helps

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from a Rezound phone via Blue TapaTalk

acousticshade

Reaction score
Thanks biker,

I'll check that app out. I am running on normal & not the power setting, so that's why I'm really surprised at the 2 hours. The battery doesn't seem to drop much when it's in standby - 2-3% per hour maybe. Still would like to know what everyone else is getting. Could be a bad battery or even a bad phone, especially if others are getting 5-6 hours of uptime.

BTW - can't wait till spring to get back on my Trek 8000! :biggrin:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm getting about 10 hours of use time + standby time on my extended battery, haven't drained it to 0 to get the actual max total. The lowest it's been before charging was 9% .I charged the OEM and put it in the box when i got the phone, haven't even tried it to compare. I prefer the extended for the in hand feel on all my phones and get the advantage of extra juice.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an earnest question for you guys. Where's the fun in having a phone with all sorts of great features if you just turn them off/down to save battery? I mean I run mine full tilt for usually 12-14+ hours on my standard battery. On my extended battery, I can run over a full day. And I'm not a light user by far...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got a great electrical system in my truck but i don't leave my headlights on all the time either

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got a great electrical system in my truck but i don't leave my headlights on all the time either

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

I liken this more like buying an HD TV and turning off the HD because it uses too much power. Well then why buy an HD TV?
VS
Buying an HD TV with Wifi and turning off Wifi because you don't use it.

Again this is all my warped sense of being and wondering why people do things the way they do...nothing more.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh i agree it can be a pain but haven't had to do anything i wasn't already in the habit of doing from my Windows Mobile days. My Omnia still used 3 batteries a day with everything set to max efficiency. The only thing i turn on/off is the data network and do that with a widget

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Mr Smith, you must have the ONLY rezound that gets good battery life. I disabled the bloat and don't have a lot going on. I easily have to charge twice a day. There is no way with moderate to heavy use that you are getting those hours... Perhaps we all have differing opinions of use.

My phone used to drain 30% overnight. Then I details the power on normal and set it to sleep at night while I'm sleeping.. now I lose maybe 5-10%. I also stopped pushing email. I now have it check once every 15-30 minutes, longer on weekends.

Sent from my Rezound using Droid Forums.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, syncing is a battery killer. That's another thing. Uncheck always on for data network if you don't need push mail and your Facebook status updates every 15 seconds

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

acousticshade

Reaction score
Well, I still have not seen any real feedback on what we are supposed to be getting using a stock battery (except from biker). I've seen other users with the same problems that I am having where you are only getting a few hours of uptime. Still checking this out and will really test it this weekend.

On another battery related note, after much searching, it looks like conditioning the battery may actually be bad for it except for the first few days. There seems to be a lot of misinformation flying around regarding that. Here are some interesting articles for further discussion.

Frequetly Asked Questions on How to Charge Batteries
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

I've decided to stop fully discharging my battery based on what I've read above.