Battery Pulls

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
You guys don't pull the battery while it is STILL running? Doesn't make sense to me, so I am always shutting down then pulling.

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No real need to pull the battery unless the phone freezes. Powering off and on is equivalent to a battery pull (reboot).

DroidForums junkie!!

maderschramm

Reaction score
I pull the battery when it freezes yeah, do it quite often while trying to overclock, shouldn't do any real damage to the phone.

OP
P

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
I assumed the battery in the phone would hold data if I don't pull, like a CMOS static-RAM..

xliderider

Reaction score
Android os is like Windows, it uses temp files and has background processes running. If you pull the battery on your Android device, it's like pulling the plug on your computer. You are supposed to try to shut down your computer through the software if possible, same thing with Android. If you pull the battery, you can leave orphaned files on your sd card and in your device's memory.

As mentioned, the only time you should pull the battery is when there is no other way to recover, like totally frozen and unresponsive.

rdroidr77

Reaction score
I have to differ on the matter of file artifacts left on the SD card since Android is a whole different architecture than Windows from top to bottom. Someone posted a link not too long ago to a video explaining the the architecture and from what I understood it pretty much debunked the file fragment question. Does anyone have that link? I can't remember if it was Andy Rubin or another developer. Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like fragments would be a non-issue from what was covered.

OP
P

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
You are supposed to try to shut down your computer through the software if possible, same thing with Android. If you pull the battery, you can leave orphaned files on your sd card and in your device's memory.

Kinda my point, seems smarter to shut the phone down before you decide to pull.

OP
P

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
I say this because I know people that pull while running, all the time.

Also, many times, I believe people are just impatient. If they wait, that hanging program corrects itself.

xliderider

Reaction score
Most likely former Blackberry users. Many bad habits to unlearn. Battery pulls and micro managing and obsessing over free memory top the list.

Billy Droid

Reaction score
Most likely former Blackberry users. Many bad habits to unlearn. Battery pulls and micro managing and obsessing over free memory top the list.

LOL! BTW, were you on the BB forums, your name looks familiar. :icon_ banana:

cgrimm9

Reaction score
yes called verizone customer support about pandora connection issues while phone is unplugged and screen off pandora would play one song then can not connect to the network. but when plugged in the pandora worked great.

I called VCS ahd they said first thing I should do Is pull the battery with the phone on to see if this resolves my issue So i think you are fine pulling the battery

xliderider

Reaction score
yes called verizone customer support about pandora connection issues while phone is unplugged and screen off pandora would play one song then can not connect to the network. but when plugged in the pandora worked great.

I called VCS ahd they said first thing I should do Is pull the battery with the phone on to see if this resolves my issue So i think you are fine pulling the battery

You should know by now that anything a Verizon CS rep tells you should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. :rolleyes:

cgrimm9

Reaction score
yes I know. they are just like every other company out there with phone tech support. sometimes you get a guy who knows what they are talking about others are just people with jobs who get paid to read a computer troubleshooting program.