Battery losing energy while plugged in?

DrFeelgood

Reaction score
I am rooted with my phone overclocked to 1.2ghz running Liberty ROM 1.0. When my phone is plugged in it doesn't light up but the lock screen says its charging. It also loses battery while plugged in. Before I typed this my phone said I was at 15% battery then I unplugged my charger and it dropped to 5%. I've had this issue with every rom I've used. Is there any way to fix it without going back to stock?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

ek_skotous

Reaction score
If the system has heavy activity going on it can drain the battery faster than it could charge it. I was tethering my Droid 2 once with PDA Net for internet access and I noticed the battery actually drained a little even though it was charging off the USB port.

I would try two things

1. Check the for running apps that might be consuming the battery
2. Go back to stock clock speed and voltage and see if that helps. Overclocking can fry a processor and before it dies the internal resistance may go up which would increase the battery drain. Hopefully the overclocking has not caused any permanent damage to the processor. It might also have overloaded your battery and caused it to fail prematurely

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Taegost

Reaction score
If you're charging from the USB port of a computer you'll probably have more drain on the battery at that clock speed then the computer can charge, especially if you have things running that would eat the battery pretty quick. Also, the higher the battery temp, the quicker it'll discharge and the longer it'll take to charge.
I use SetCPU to throttle my clock speed down to 800MHz when I have it charging to prevent this from happening and to keep the heat down. If I left it clocked at 1.2GHz, even plugged into the cigarette lighter in my car, with Navigation running it would drain the battery faster then it would charge, but at 800MHz, it charges pretty well unless it's hot in my car.