Battery Life & my 2 Droid X's

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
These may help:

1) Because of an apparent bug with the Droid X, leave GPS off when you're not using it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...6788-droid-x-battery-problems-discovered.html
Hopefully the next update will allow you to leave GPS on (as is intended behavior).

2) Dial *228 and choose option 2 to update the cell towers thingy. If that returns an error, try calling *228 again and choose option 1 to activate your phone

3) Maybe there's an app causing the problem. To pinpoint it, Spare Parts from the market can help. Don't use a task killer or antivirus. Other typical culprits: widgets, live wallpapers

Last edited:

Akita

Reaction score
My previous phone was the LG Dare, and I got used to only having to plug it in about once a week. So after leaving the Droid X on all weekend, naturally yesterday morning around 9:30am it ran out of juice and I didn't get home to charge it again until around 8pm. I had to unplug it around 9:30 through to make a couple calls, then plugged it back in until about 7:30am.

This morning I got on the train and found that I was at around 35%. I had left wifi on so I immediately turned it off... other than that I read email and surfed the web for all of about 10 minutes. Made phone calls for a total of about 10 minutes. BlueTooth off, GPS off, no animated wallpaper or anything. Only open window in the browser was google Reader. Phone died around lunchtime. Anyone else been having trouble where the Droid X seems to be failing to charge? Last night was only like my 4th time charging it.
I had a LG Dare before this so I can attest to the once a week recharge routine. I've made sure to drain the battery all the way down as low as possible before charging. Did this since Monday. Also, took the steps to optimize battery conservation by tweaking with settings,etc.

I woke up @ 6am yesterday after a full charge on the phone. Was @ work texting, suring message boards, playing music on my lunch break. Came home(didnt touch the phone till midnight) and was about to charge the phone before going to bed and it still had I believe around 40%(I forget the exact number but it was definite enough to get me through the night). Did not bother to charge.

Today all I did was some texting and had a 20min conversation with a buddy of mine on the phone. Played Andoku for maybe 20mins. It wasnt till about 5 or 6pm tonight when I got the 15% charge left notice. So in summary, I am satisfied with the battery, all things considered as I knew it would eat up a lot of juice. I think you should take your phone back and get another one. Read up on these message boards and online on how to optimize battery conservation.

Last edited:

Amberdanielle021

Reaction score
Battery life

My and my Fiance are having the same issue, His battery lasts for hours. Mine if i dont touch it all day it might last 6 hours. if i play a little angry birds my battery life is drained. The longest my batt has lasted was 8 hours.

ill try some of the tricks in the forum but i have a question. Im new to verizon. when you took the phone in to get a new battery did they hastle you over it?

Also i got a App its called Mini info and it breaks down your batt, storage usage, everything.. pretty cool. it shows my CPU usage, sitting idol it jumps from 3% to 60% and everywhere in between. I cant figure out what would cause it.
I havent downloaded many apps, and i restart daily.

any thoughts?

Sasquatchua

Reaction score
Best thing I've found to increase battery life is to immediately delete the desktop widgets on the far right desktop - news gathering and the like. When my wife got the Droid X after I did she initially was running out of batteries in half a day. After deleting those we each have to recharge about once every two days.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
My and my Fiance are having the same issue, His battery lasts for hours. Mine if i dont touch it all day it might last 6 hours. if i play a little angry birds my battery life is drained. The longest my batt has lasted was 8 hours.

ill try some of the tricks in the forum but i have a question. Im new to verizon. when you took the phone in to get a new battery did they hastle you over it?

Also i got a App its called Mini info and it breaks down your batt, storage usage, everything.. pretty cool. it shows my CPU usage, sitting idol it jumps from 3% to 60% and everywhere in between. I cant figure out what would cause it.
I havent downloaded many apps, and i restart daily.

any thoughts?

This is a nice thread. Not sure if you have read it yet, but you should.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ife-youve-got-questions-weve-got-answers.html

True4031

Reaction score
I just got a droid x and charged it over night it was 100% and I litterally was on it for prolly a half hour straight searching the market place and installing and uninztaling prolly 3 or 4 apps and it already went down to 70% is that normal?

Zecpull

Reaction score
I got Lucky and bought the Motorola Extended battery for $25 with the discount from here..it has been a great battery.. I never have to charge during the day No matter how much I am on. and I have my Old battery as a Back up..

True4031

Reaction score
Could you please give me a link of where you'd got it? And what discount did u use? Also I use the advanced task manager to kill battery draining things, but it runs all the time, is that a battery drained? Also can u disable appz from auto running like skype mobile?

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I just got a droid x and charged it over night it was 100% and I litterally was on it for prolly a half hour straight searching the market place and installing and uninztaling prolly 3 or 4 apps and it already went down to 70% is that normal?

Ok lets start with the basics.

What is your screen brightness set to? I suggest 25% or lower for maximum battery life.

Are you using a task killer or antivirus software? I see in a later post you said you have a task killer. First off, uninstall it and do not worry about the running processes in the background, this is not windows. I promise it is OK.

Were you on 3G or WiFi when you were downloading things from the market? If 3G, did you have a good signal? In my experiences, a poor 3G signal (or the constant looking for one) is by far the worst battery drain I experience.

Also check out this post...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ife-youve-got-questions-weve-got-answers.html

It will answer lots of your questions.

The Droid X is a beast of a smartphone, but just like any other cutting edge technology, it needs some TLC to keep it operating at its max.

True4031

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I can not figure out how to change my sync settings at all. I got 5 email accounts a myspace facebook and twitter, the syncs have to be suckin battery. Also where can I buy this extended battery?

Also I unistalled task manager, changed brightness, custom power setting

True4031

Reaction score
okay, so i unplugged my phone at 5:45pm (100% full charge) it is now 10:45 pm and all i did was text like three time and check an email or two that came in and thats IT. and my battery is now at 20%......where the heck did my 80% battery life go? I think i got a bad battery from verizion, can any body help?

(i turned down brightness and screen time out, made my own custom battery setting and that is Off peak hours 11pm-7pm turn off data after 15 mins / Peak hours - Turn off data after, always on - is any of my custom battery settings wrong? also turned off gps and wifi and blue tooth is off, i uninstall advanced task maanger)

i dont no what to do!