Battery Life and Battery Temperature

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow.. I hope your luck improves :)

I agree that signal plays a big role in battery life. When I have network issues around my house, I can tell because my battery will get sucked down really quick.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Yeah had the X for almost two years and no accidents or anything get the Maxx and on my 3rd phone not cool! lol Yeah I think a lot of the battery issues for some is signal strength which can be hard to pin point and not a lot of options to fix. I will be traveling to Ohio next week so I am looking forward to trying 4G for the first time and see how my battery does with it.

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
1. Continue to use it normally until you get the 15% low battery warning, then power OFF and recharge to 100%. Once that's done, you should be good to go -- use/charge your phone as you normally do. However, never intentionally drain it completely.

2. The battery itself does not require training. What we're accomplishing is training the meter to reflect an accurate level of charge. FoxKat's guidance should be accomplished every two to three months.

Hopefully you'll see better results immediately.

If you use badass battery monitor it tells you your signal strength though out the day. Might be something to look at to see if your battery is struggling to find a signal. Again this may have nothing to do with your issues just something I have seen talked about around here before. :)

RALIWGN

Reaction score
I've had my Razr Maxx activated for about a week now (had it a while longer, but waited until I had my original Incredible backed up before activating the Maxx), and I've been thoroughly unimpressed with both the battery life on the Maxx, as well as the long time it takes to charge it compared to my Incredible with the Seidio 3500 mAh battery. I could have the Incredible charged in a few short hours with it powered on, while the Maxx takes 6 - 8 hours to charge from 10-15% while powered off. The Incredible would charge to 100% & maintain that charge while in my RAM car mount plugged into the car charger & running navigation & Pandora all day on long road trips; the Maxx actually discharges the battery while running navigation (no Pandora) and plugged into a factory Motorola car charger. The battery app I found to check the level & temp of the battery shows the battery at over 100 degrees while charging, and higher when sitting in the car mount running navigation & charging. I'm getting about 8 - 10 hours of life before hitting the 15% warning, and I use the phone moderately (as much as can be expected while at work), and I've followed all of FoxKat's suggestions on conditioning the battery meter, etc. I'm probably going to take it back to the store & get it swapped, but I'm hoping it's not just hit-or-miss with the quality on these phones, as I'm leaving on a 2-week road trip in 2 days, and will need my phone to actually perform as advertized for navigation & web/email/communication while I'm away from home. Any suggestions/ideas on the likelihood I just got a lemon & whether a swap will resolve the battery issue? BTW, my 4G connection has periodically gone from blue with 5 solid bars to white, still with 5 bars, while engaging navigation, so it took forever to try to plot a route; I turned the phone off, then back on, and that appeared to reset whatever vapor-locked it & it started connecting to data properly again. Lame.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah had the X for almost two years and no accidents or anything get the Maxx and on my 3rd phone not cool! lol Yeah I think a lot of the battery issues for some is signal strength which can be hard to pin point and not a lot of options to fix. I will be traveling to Ohio next week so I am looking forward to trying 4G for the first time and see how my battery does with it.

You're gonna love 4g. You might not want to leave that speed behind :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
RALIWGN said:
I've had my Razr Maxx activated for about a week now (had it a while longer, but waited until I had my original Incredible backed up before activating the Maxx), and I've been thoroughly unimpressed with both the battery life on the Maxx, as well as the long time it takes to charge it compared to my Incredible with the Seidio 3500 mAh battery. I could have the Incredible charged in a few short hours with it powered on, while the Maxx takes 6 - 8 hours to charge from 10-15% while powered off. The Incredible would charge to 100% & maintain that charge while in my RAM car mount plugged into the car charger & running navigation & Pandora all day on long road trips; the Maxx actually discharges the battery while running navigation (no Pandora) and plugged into a factory Motorola car charger. The battery app I found to check the level & temp of the battery shows the battery at over 100 degrees while charging, and higher when sitting in the car mount running navigation & charging. I'm getting about 8 - 10 hours of life before hitting the 15% warning, and I use the phone moderately (as much as can be expected while at work), and I've followed all of FoxKat's suggestions on conditioning the battery meter, etc. I'm probably going to take it back to the store & get it swapped, but I'm hoping it's not just hit-or-miss with the quality on these phones, as I'm leaving on a 2-week road trip in 2 days, and will need my phone to actually perform as advertized for navigation & web/email/communication while I'm away from home. Any suggestions/ideas on the likelihood I just got a lemon & whether a swap will resolve the battery issue? BTW, my 4G connection has periodically gone from blue with 5 solid bars to white, still with 5 bars, while engaging navigation, so it took forever to try to plot a route; I turned the phone off, then back on, and that appeared to reset whatever vapor-locked it & it started connecting to data properly again. Lame.

Someone else may chime in here, but common battery hog culprits are having wifi on when there is no wifi available, 4g-3g on when there is poor 4g available or no 4g available (the phone will keep trying to connect to 4g or keep switching between 3g to 4g which sucks allot of battery), background sync enabled, etc. Your 5 bars are for your phone reception not your data. The 3g or 4g icons are for your data reception. If it has blue arrows that means it is transferring data connected to google servers, white arrows means it is transferring data over the internet. No arrows doesn't necessarily mean you lost connection, just that no data is being transferred at that time.

Things to do to get better battery life:
-keep your phone in 3g only mode unless you are in an area with good 4g reception or if you need the faster speed (watching youtube, netflix, etc). Navigation works fine, if not better, in 3g.
-turn off wifi when not in use. Turn off data if on wifi.
-turn auto sync and sync your background data when you actually need it.
-set your email accounts to fetch at longer intervals (I have most of mine set at every four hours. The only one I have set art every 15 min is my work email. The others automatically give me my new email when I go into that email account).
-turn location services off for facebook.

Many of these settings will also help your phone stay cooler.

In settings, look at battery usage. What does it show is using most of your battery? That will give us some more info to help you.

Your Maxx should be able to get at least 20 hours, depending on use. Keep us posted and we will keep troubleshooting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

jlewis74

Reaction score
How are you getting that good of battery life? Im coming from a Thunderbolt so Im trying to figure out all the different stuff with this phone. I use it moderatly with wifi off 90% of the time and 4g off all the time unless im in 4g coverage. Would like some tips thanks.

I have it rooted with all the junk frozen I am in a 4G area, here is the latest I have not charged it yet.

Screenshot_2012-06-26-18-11-23.png

OP
A

allawayr

Reaction score
Simulated battery pull seems to have fixed my aforementioned connectivity issues. Hopefully it stays fixed!

Reaction score
I have it rooted with all the junk frozen I am in a 4G area, here is the latest I have not charged it yet.

Screenshot_2012-06-26-18-11-23.png

Wow thats nice. Im at 22% at about 13 hours of battery use. Which rom are you using? Is it stock? Im trying to decide if I want to root this phone like my Thunderbolt or leave it stock and wait for the ICS and hopefully this helps a little bit.

jlewis74

Reaction score
The stock ICS is out where you can flash it, look for Mikes Utility. I am running .211 ICS stock rooted with just frozen.

RALIWGN

Reaction score
Someone else may chime in here, but common battery hog culprits are having wifi on when there is no wifi available, 4g-3g on when there is poor 4g available or no 4g available (the phone will keep trying to connect to 4g or keep switching between 3g to 4g which sucks allot of battery), background sync enabled, etc. Your 5 bars are for your phone reception not your data. The 3g or 4g icons are for your data reception. If it has blue arrows that means it is transferring data connected to google servers, white arrows means it is transferring data over the internet. No arrows doesn't necessarily mean you lost connection, just that no data is being transferred at that time.

Things to do to get better battery life:
-keep your phone in 3g only mode unless you are in an area with good 4g reception or if you need the faster speed (watching youtube, netflix, etc). Navigation works fine, if not better, in 3g.
-turn off wifi when not in use. Turn off data if on wifi.
-turn auto sync and sync your background data when you actually need it.
-set your email accounts to fetch at longer intervals (I have most of mine set at every four hours. The only one I have set art every 15 min is my work email. The others automatically give me my new email when I go into that email account).
-turn location services off for facebook.

Many of these settings will also help your phone stay cooler.

In settings, look at battery usage. What does it show is using most of your battery? That will give us some more info to help you.

Your Maxx should be able to get at least 20 hours, depending on use. Keep us posted and we will keep troubleshooting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

I've used both smart actions & doing it manually to turn off unneeded services while I'm not using them, as well as using the task manager to kill apps after the screen times out so they're not running unnecessarily. Android OS & the display are using most of my battery life right now, but usually it's the display that has used the most after a day of use. I've got the screen timeout set to 1 min, but that's not the issue... the real issue with the battery for me is 2 things: It doesn't last for crap compared to my 3500 mAh battery in my previous Incredible; and it takes **much** longer to charge than the Incredible whether the phone is on or off.

Did I mention it bothers me that it actually loses charge while plugged in to the charger in the car & running navigation? Again, not the case with the Incredible. I also didn't have to babysit the Incredible as far as apps & settings to achieve great battery life throughout the day. Just charge it overnight & it could run all day with heavy use & then plug it in at night again. I use my phone as my primary source of communication & leave it on overnight, as well as using it for an alarm in the morning. Incredible = no problem, Maxx = not impressed.

Has anyone else exchanged their Maxx due to battery issues & gotten a replacement that performed as promised? If so, was the replacement a new-in-box unit or an "over-the-counter" exchange (refurb) unit?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well after two complete charges with the phone off and recharging it when it gets to 15% Im still getting 12.5 hours. I would take a screen shot of my battery usage but I dont have an app that will work. So I will write it down. Display 34% Browser 17% Android OS 12% Smart Action 6% Facebook 5% Phone Idle 4% Cell Stand By 4% Com.Motorola.Service.Main 4% Wifi 3% Android System 3% Voice Calls 3%. What can I do to make this better? The screen brightness shows at about 30% I would guess. I had it on auto brightness but heard that drains it quick.