Battery Life and Battery Temperature

allawayr

Reaction score
Hi all -

I am trying to figure out if my unit is OK or whether I have a defective battery. My first concern is the battery life. I've been on battery for nearly 8 hours today (7:42) and am somewhere between 30-40% charge left. This includes 2:15 of screen-on time. I'm not really sure what other info I can provide. I have the Smart actions battery extender enabled, and I have the backlight set to autoadjust (I realize this can burn up the battery a bit but I'm not trying to get the absolute most out of the battery that I can - I'm just trying to figure out whether my battery is ok).

Does this sound reasonable? I never have to charge during this day, so honestly I am fine with this battery life, but it seems to me like some people get 2 days out of the battery whereas I only get one (and it always seems like these people claim to have moderate-heavy usage).

I also frequently hit battery temps over 40 degrees C, especially when browsing the internet. Is this typical/expected/OK? I really don't want to have a defective battery explode and leak all over me - that would not be fun.

Cheers! Thanks for any advice.

Playa

Reaction score
your fine

i've had this phone since it came out, and people exaggerate about how amazing the battery. yes it is better than any other 4g phone's pathetic battery life. however, for me if i abuse the phone, whether its texting, talking, using internet, games, streaming movies, its usually about a day.

temperature is fine, if it is kept in your pocket it gets hot very quickly. phone lasts more than a day usually when i just use it to talk and text only. also people that claim it lasts more than 2 days or whatever live in a 3g area only so its easier for battery to be stronger.

don't worry, you can always go to verizon for a over-night replacement.

jlewis74

Reaction score
My Maxx is doing pretty good.

Screenshot_2012-06-25-20-17-31.png

Reaction score
I got my razr maxx about a month ago. I was only getting about 10-12 hours out of a charge. And my temp was hitting 108 farenheit quite a bit. I took it in and the manager looked at it and pulled up the battery screen and said its showing that its fine. I said well there are people saying they are getting a day and a half to two days on a charge and mine barely gets 12 hours. Plus it gets really hot. He goes well if it happens again then come back before your 14 days are up and if its still doing it we will swape it out for a new one. I told him politely that I live 45 minutes from the nearest verizon store and I dont want to have to go out of my way to come back down here. So he goes Im not suppose to do this cause I dont see a problem but I will change it out. That phone was a week old. The next one is a week and a half old and Im still getting the same battery time but the phone is a lot cooler. I think I only hit 100 degrees on it once. Its usually around 85-90 degrees.

Reaction score
My Maxx is doing pretty good.

Screenshot_2012-06-25-20-17-31.png

How are you getting that good of battery life? Im coming from a Thunderbolt so Im trying to figure out all the different stuff with this phone. I use it moderatly with wifi off 90% of the time and 4g off all the time unless im in 4g coverage. Would like some tips thanks.

Trash Can

Reaction score
How are you getting that good of battery life? Im coming from a Thunderbolt so Im trying to figure out all the different stuff with this phone. I use it moderatly with wifi off 90% of the time and 4g off all the time unless im in 4g coverage. Would like some tips thanks.

First thing I would do is calibrate your battery meter to ensure your readings are correct. The following advice comes from Professor FoxKat, our resident battery wizard.

1. Power OFF your phone and let it charge to 100%. You can check the level of charge by pressing either volume button.
2. Turn your phone back on and use normally until you get the 'low battery warning' at 15%.
3. Repeat step 1.
4. Repeat this process every other month or so.

Once that's done, try enabling some Smart Actions like Battery Extender, which will allow you to turn off cell data, background sync, etc, (whatever you choose) while your display is off. You can also try using Task Manager, which will auto-end apps you select two minutes after the display is off. Note: some of this info might change once ICS is released to the masses, but the gist of it remains the same.

Finally, take a look at the Battery Forum - Smartphone Battery Discussion. Lots of good tips there too.

OP
A

allawayr

Reaction score
I got my razr maxx about a month ago. I was only getting about 10-12 hours out of a charge. And my temp was hitting 108 farenheit quite a bit. I took it in and the manager looked at it and pulled up the battery screen and said its showing that its fine. I said well there are people saying they are getting a day and a half to two days on a charge and mine barely gets 12 hours. Plus it gets really hot. He goes well if it happens again then come back before your 14 days are up and if its still doing it we will swape it out for a new one. I told him politely that I live 45 minutes from the nearest verizon store and I dont want to have to go out of my way to come back down here. So he goes Im not suppose to do this cause I dont see a problem but I will change it out. That phone was a week old. The next one is a week and a half old and Im still getting the same battery time but the phone is a lot cooler. I think I only hit 100 degrees on it once. Its usually around 85-90 degrees.

This makes me nervous. I'm actually starting to think the phone might be a lemon - the past two days I've had multiple random freezes and shutdowns, and after turning it on during a flight yesterday I had a bunch of random processes crash. And my ringtones changed by themselves which is also a bit odd. The phone is only a month old (as of yesterday).

Android73

Reaction score
Very concerning. I bought one a week ago today. I've had to reboot it once but aside from that it's been okay... the battery isn't getting 21hrs of use time though... it also is nowhere near the stated standby time either. It seems I'll get 48hrs on a charge barely using the phone. If I do some work on it I'm gonna have to charge at night or face a dry battery in the middle of the next day. This is their 1st claimed "super-battery"... in other words it's not going to perform 1/2 as good stated. The Verizon salesman said "bring it back in if you're not getting near 21hrs use"... I plan to keep doing that until the battery issue is fixed to match Motorola's claims.

Reaction score
First thing I would do is calibrate your battery meter to ensure your readings are correct. The following advice comes from Professor FoxKat, our resident battery wizard.

1. Power OFF your phone and let it charge to 100%. You can check the level of charge by pressing either volume button.
2. Turn your phone back on and use normally until you get the 'low battery warning' at 15%.
3. Repeat step 1.
4. Repeat this process every other month or so.

Once that's done, try enabling some Smart Actions like Battery Extender, which will allow you to turn off cell data, background sync, etc, (whatever you choose) while your display is off. You can also try using Task Manager, which will auto-end apps you select two minutes after the display is off. Note: some of this info might change once ICS is released to the masses, but the gist of it remains the same.

Finally, take a look at the Battery Forum - Smartphone Battery Discussion. Lots of good tips there too.

Well I did what you said and I woke up around 630 and took it off the charger. Then at around 10 I noticed it said on battery for a half hour. I did restart it so not sure if that effects anything? I set up some smart action stuff. I turned on Battery extender, low battery saver, nighttime battery saver, sleep. All at default settings. So far today I have used the phone for checking email, facebook, a few texts, 1 phone call, and downloaded two apps. My battery is now at what it says 77% on the app I downloaded and 80% on the actual phone software with what it says 1 hour 37 minutes on battery. I wouldnt think the battery would go that quick with not a whole lot of use. Does it take a while for it to train?

Sorry to the OP for stealing your thread.

Reaction score
This makes me nervous. I'm actually starting to think the phone might be a lemon - the past two days I've had multiple random freezes and shutdowns, and after turning it on during a flight yesterday I had a bunch of random processes crash. And my ringtones changed by themselves which is also a bit odd. The phone is only a month old (as of yesterday).

Just before I took my original phone in to get replaced the screen actually turned upside down and i couldnt get it to go back to normal. I had to turn it upside down (with the charging port facing down).

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Curious for those with battery life issues are you on 4g or 3g does your area switch between 3g and 4g a lot? That could be some of the problem. It may not be but just a thought have you tried setting it to 3g only just for a day and see if your battery life is a little better? I have had 3 different Maxx's. The first one did good for a 10 days and then the sound stopped and my battery failed a few days later. The battery got super hot and would not hold a charge. My 2nd phone worked great until it fell out of my car charger and broke the screen. My third Maxx which I have had for a few days is doing fine with the battery they have all been pretty consistent which tells me that signal could play a role in battery life which you don't have a lot of control over.

Trash Can

Reaction score
Well I did what you said and I woke up around 630 and took it off the charger. Then at around 10 I noticed it said on battery for a half hour. I did restart it so not sure if that effects anything? I set up some smart action stuff. I turned on Battery extender, low battery saver, nighttime battery saver, sleep. All at default settings. So far today I have used the phone for checking email, facebook, a few texts, 1 phone call, and downloaded two apps. My battery is now at what it says 77% on the app I downloaded and 80% on the actual phone software with what it says 1 hour 37 minutes on battery. I wouldnt think the battery would go that quick with not a whole lot of use. Does it take a while for it to train?

1. Continue to use it normally until you get the 15% low battery warning, then power OFF and recharge to 100%. Once that's done, you should be good to go -- use/charge your phone as you normally do. However, never intentionally drain it completely.

2. The battery itself does not require training. What we're accomplishing is training the meter to reflect an accurate level of charge. FoxKat's guidance should be accomplished every two to three months.

Hopefully you'll see better results immediately.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Curious for those with battery life issues are you on 4g or 3g does your area switch between 3g and 4g a lot? That could be some of the problem. It may not be but just a thought have you tried setting it to 3g only just for a day and see if your battery life is a little better? I have had 3 different Maxx's. The first one did good for a 10 days and then the sound stopped and my battery failed a few days later. The battery got super hot and would not hold a charge. My 2nd phone worked great until it fell out of my car charger and broke the screen. My third Maxx which I have had for a few days is doing fine with the battery they have all been pretty consistent which tells me that signal could play a role in battery life which you don't have a lot of control over.

Wow.. I hope your luck improves :)

I agree that signal plays a big role in battery life. When I have network issues around my house, I can tell because my battery will get sucked down really quick.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Reaction score

I have it set for CDMA. I do not live in a 4g area yet. Its a mile or so away from me. So the phone is always on 3g unless I know im in a 4g area which is not very often. I had the Thunderbolt and with it on 3g and the extended battery. I could go all day and have 60% left. Doing the samething on the razr maxx im at 70% just after like 3 hours.

1. Continue to use it normally until you get the 15% low battery warning, then power OFF and recharge to 100%. Once that's done, you should be good to go -- use/charge your phone as you normally do. However, never intentionally drain it completely.

2. The battery itself does not require training. What we're accomplishing is training the meter to reflect an accurate level of charge. FoxKat's guidance should be accomplished every two to three months.

Hopefully you'll see better results immediately.

Ok thanks Im hoping so

OP
A

allawayr

Reaction score

I live in a 3G only area and had it set to 3G only for about two weeks. Tbh, I didn't notice a difference in battery life. However, that may because I don't live anywhere near 4G - so it's not like it's bouncing back and forth between 3G/4G connectivity.