Battery lasting forever!!!!

mtbhk44

Reaction score
This is just absolutely impossible. I don't even think a StarTac got that kind of battery life.

Let's not go crazy now. I had a StarTac and I charged that thing every Sunday night whether it needed it or not.

As for my Droid, count me in the 'improved battery' category.

it was. but i was studying for finals and only made a few calls and txts. i was very surprised also. its now at 50% with 39 hrs of up time. but like i said, thats with studying all day and only playing on the internet to keep track of a football game.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! 39 hours - holy moly

I'm in the process of getting another phone. This will be number 4. First phone was returned b/c the pullout keyboard didnt work right - the L wouldn't register. The 2nd phone had very very poor battery life. If I got 9 hours I was lucky. This phone I'm also having battery issues with. My battery drained to 15% in 6 hours yesterday and it ran hot the whole time. I'm not running a whole heck of alot of apps b/c of my poor battery life. I'm hoping this next phone on it's way from Verizon will finally solve my battery problem. I was on the line with tech support for an hour Saturday until they finally conceded that I'm just having bad luck with phones. I'm located on LI in NY so coverage is not an issue most of the time - the phone shouldn't be working so hard with only minimal apps in the background.

TheCyclist

Reaction score
My Phone Usage:

Unplugged at 5:35AM CST on Dec 14th (Full Charge)
Current Time: 1:26PM CST on Dec 14th (20%)

I have the following Apps:

Advance Task Killer
Barcode Scanner
Shazam
*WeatherBug (No widget, Just taskbar)
ColorNote
Market
Email
Pandora
Gallery
Alarm Clock
*PowerBar
Facebook
Messaging
Phone
Contacts
*GoggleSearch
*Calendar
Browser
Maps

The ones with the * are the ones that running at all times on my Droid that I don't have ATK killing or manually killing myself.

My Battery Usage shows as:

Display- 50%
Android System- 11%
Voice Calls- 8%
Cell Standby- 5%
WeatherBug- 5%
Phone Idle- 4%
Market- 4%
WiFi- 3%
Android Core Apps- 2%
Messaging- 6%

It's been 5h 17m 11s since unplugged. It's officially down to 20% after typing this.

Should this be average battery life for my usages? or Do I maybe have a bad battery? Please someone advise me on this, I am kinda afraid that almost being to 20% after just after 5 hours of being unplugged is not normal.

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Phone Usage:

Should this be average battery life for my usages? or Do I maybe have a bad battery? Please someone advise me on this, I am kinda afraid that almost being to 20% after just after 5 hours of being unplugged is not normal.

Thanks!

For this phone and they type of usage you demonstrated I would say that is normal. 5 hours of use and 20%. I've used mine less and seen it drop to 20% in 5 hours.

Elysian

Reaction score
Battery lasts much longer than it did on the Pre, I only plug it in every night out of habit.

PatG

Reaction score
My Phone Usage:

It's been 5h 17m 11s since unplugged. It's officially down to 20% after typing this.

Thanks!

Seems like the phone should be lasting longer than that. I am not running Weatherbug, Pandora, or Power Bar. I also have everything off except sync. Today I made a about 5 phone calls lasting 10 minutes or so, and send about 10 text messages and some web surfing. Very light usages, not normal for me. I unplugged the phone 9 hours ago and still have 70% battery left.

korky122

Reaction score
it broke mine. so far it dies overnight. it will have plenty of juice in it when i turn it off, then i cant turn on unless i plug it in to charge it. update fail.

keiichi25

Reaction score
My Phone Usage:

Advance Task Killer
Barcode Scanner
Shazam
ColorNote
Market
Email
Pandora
Gallery
Alarm Clock
*PowerBar
Facebook
Messaging
Phone
Contacts
*GoggleSearch
*Calendar
Browser
Maps

The ones with the * are the ones that running at all times on my Droid that I don't have ATK killing or manually killing myself.

Display- 50%
Android System- 11%
Voice Calls- 8%
Cell Standby- 5%
WeatherBug- 5%
Phone Idle- 4%
Market- 4%
WiFi- 3%
Android Core Apps- 2%
Messaging- 6%

Thanks!

Based on this information and 50% of your battery usage is on display, it suggests to me you are a fairly active user. As you saw in my example, I am not a very active user and my display % is half yours. The fact your Idle and standby time is in the single digits in comparison to mine, so first blush guess is you do a bit of web browsing or somehow keeping your screen active or at a higher setting than it needs to be while it is active for the display battery usage to be at that high of a use.

I would say my next question would be what you are doing on your Droid in general between the time period, although I might point at Weatherbug being partially the problem, even though you are using only the taskbar part of it, it might be chatting with the server to stay up to date. I would recommend possibly, as a test, disabling it all together for one day to see if there is a change, but maintain what you normally do for the day with the droid. One change a day to see if things get better or worse.

meaker

Reaction score
I would say that's normal battery use. Mine seems to drain faster. Today my phone has been unplugged for 6 and 50min. I'm at 80% battery life. I haven't used it much at all.. watch 2(2minute) youtube videos in HD. Had 3 short calls. (longest one was 10 minutes). Spent a couple minutes on FB and check my RR email about 3 times..

display 37%
talk time 25%
phone idle 11%
cell standby 10%
android system 6%
mediaserver 3%
android core apps 3%
email 3%
andriod OS 2%
youtube 2%

r1nstang

Reaction score
i got the update saturday and it locked up my eris took it to verizon and they just called tech support..made me talk to them...and made me to a hard reset. didnt even try to figure out what caused it. said it was an app that did it

TheCyclist

Reaction score
My Phone Usage:

Advance Task Killer
Barcode Scanner
Shazam
ColorNote
Market
Email
Pandora
Gallery
Alarm Clock
*PowerBar
Facebook
Messaging
Phone
Contacts
*GoggleSearch
*Calendar
Browser
Maps

Display- 50%
Android System- 11%
Voice Calls- 8%
Cell Standby- 5%
WeatherBug- 5%
Phone Idle- 4%
Market- 4%
WiFi- 3%
Android Core Apps- 2%
Messaging- 6%

Thanks!

Based on this information and 50% of your battery usage is on display, it suggests to me you are a fairly active user. As you saw in my example, I am not a very active user and my display % is half yours. The fact your Idle and standby time is in the single digits in comparison to mine, so first blush guess is you do a bit of web browsing or somehow keeping your screen active or at a higher setting than it needs to be while it is active for the display battery usage to be at that high of a use.

I would say my next question would be what you are doing on your Droid in general between the time period, although I might point at Weatherbug being partially the problem, even though you are using only the taskbar part of it, it might be chatting with the server to stay up to date. I would recommend possibly, as a test, disabling it all together for one day to see if there is a change, but maintain what you normally do for the day with the droid. One change a day to see if things get better or worse.

Okay, I will give this a test run tomorrow and report back for everyone. The only thing I ever really did today to keep the display active was look at my calendar and then used Advance Task Killer to shut it down and then closed Task killer.

Xerozix

Reaction score
For me the battery lasts for a REALLY long time now, it's been progressively getting better and better. Makes me think about exchanging the phone for the headphone jack lol

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since there are two threads on this subject I would have liked to seen a poll but that would be creating a third thread on this heavily debated issue. Too bad nobody thought of it when the first thread was created.:motdroidhoriz:

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Well, I figured I'd post an update on my experience, now that I've had the update for a few days...

It seems that the Cell-Standby and Phone-Idle are using far less battery power than before. Both Monday and Tuesday, I only used the phone to make a few voice-calls (maybe 30 minutes of talk-time, total), I didn't spend more than about 30 minutes browsing the web/checking e-mail/playing games. Used 30% of the battery in a bit over 17 hours on Monday, and 40% of the battery in a bit over 13 hours on Tuesday. That really does seem like its a bit better than it was before the update.

I leave Bluetooth and GPS on all the time, only activate WiFi when I really need it (didn't use it at all on Mon or Tue). I have the Facebook Widget, Weather Channel widget, SportsTap widget, and the Fox News widget running all the time. And of course, there's the occasional GMail and Calendar updates, too. Oh, and my display is set to the lowest brightness available. (I have no trouble seeing my display, indoors or out, on that brightness-setting...)

I would say my usage is probably a bit below average, from what I've read on these forums. But even if you "push" your phone a bit, you really shouldn't be seeing 80% of your battery gone in 5 hours. The only time I can make that happen is if I play a game like RoboDefense, which uses a lot of CPU and (of course) keeps the screen active the whole time. The turn-by-turn navigation can suck the battery down that quickly, as well, since it keeps the display active and pings the GPS satellites constantly.

So either you're using your phone more than you realize, something is set-up incorrectly, or you have a defective battery... For me personally, the battery life is about what I expect from any smartphone. And it's gotten a bit better since the update...

Hawks

Reaction score
Just to chime in I have noticed that my display is actually using much less of my battery since the update. The longest I have gojne so far (admittedly with minimal usage was 36 hours). I was down to 20% and hadnt done a whole lot with my phone that day. A few calls and few text messages but for a smart phone I'm not complaining.