Battery Drains Extremely Fast

MGRaiden97

Reaction score
I don't do any battery consuming things, all i do is text really, but sometimes use the browser for like 5 minutes.. It goes dead in about 4 hours, probably less if i was on it constantly. It even drains battery by just being on, as soon as i turn on the screen, the phone rapidly heats up to the point where it gives me a message that the screen is dimmed to prevent burn in, it all happens in about 5-10 minutes.

When i check what is consuming my battery, it shows the screen takes 80%. Nothing running except the android OS, UI, and some homescreen widgets. I tried turning down brighness and 4g, but it still went from 40% to 10 in about 10-20 minutes.

This is pretty crazy, i'd expect at least 8 hours on this. Also what is up with the heat? It nearly burns my thumb using it.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
MGRaiden, Let's get your battery and phone so it is working right. Are you on ICS? Check your phone version by going to settings---> About phone ---> Android Version. If it is 4.04, you are on ICS.

Bear with me, because there may be a lot of things I will have you do but it will improve your phone dramatically. A few things at a time, though. First we want to cool your phone down and improve battery a little. If you are on ICS, make sure your phone is not set to Global data. Global burns a lot of battery and makes your phone hotter. Go to settings ----> More... (under Data Usage)---->Mobile networks ---Network mode----> select LTE/CDMA.

Next: Turn off wifi if you are not where you can connect to wifi. If your phone is trying to constantly connect to wifi that is not available or if it constantly searching for wif when there isn't any, then it will use a lot of battery and can make it hot.

Same goes for data: If you are in a weak 3g/4g area or if no 3g/4g, your phone will use a lot of battery and get hot trying to stay connected or search for a connection. so turn data off unless you need to use it.

Set a Battery Extender Smart Action: Triggers-Display off, Not charging, and No movement; Actions=GPS off, Background sync off, Wifi off, Cellular Data Disable.

The above are quick and easy and will help a lot. The last step is a little more involved but if you have not done it yet, it will make a huge huge difference. if you are on ICS, did you do a Factory Data Reset just before you upgraded or since you upgraded?

Last thing:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Moving to the battery sub forum.. :) turn on your GPS ;)

SRIDAL

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SAMSUNG GALAXY S3
Ok, so battery life on my galaxy s3 has been terrible for the last several months. It would at most last me 6-7 hours. One of my chargers went bad so I decided to buy a brand new one. This time I decided to get a Samsung original instead of a generic charger that I had. The very first thing I noticed was how quickly it charged to 50%. I had not seen that kind of charging for a while. The other thing I noticed that on the first day it gave me 7 hrs charge. I was still happy that it was charging faster so did not have greater expectation. The second day it lasted almost 10 hours so it was almost a miracle waiting to happen. I just can't believe what I am seeing right now as I type..into the 3rd day. I am at 15 .5 hrs and I still have 23% charge. So this is a miracle and I believe this might be the biggest issue with many of the folks complaining about battery life. The other thing is my phone used to get really super hot. It is no longer heating up since I got the new charger.

So, bottom line, make sure you have Samsung original charger, if you already dont have one. I am planning to get a second :)

P

promo87

Ok, so battery life on my galaxy s3 has been terrible for the last several months. It would at most last me 6-7 hours. One of my chargers went bad so I decided to buy a brand new one. This time I decided to get a Samsung original instead of a generic charger that I had. The very first thing I noticed was how quickly it charged to 50%. I had not seen that kind of charging for a while. The other thing I noticed that on the first day it gave me 7 hrs charge. I was still happy that it was charging faster so did not have greater expectation. The second day it lasted almost 10 hours so it was almost a miracle waiting to happen. I just can't believe what I am seeing right now as I type..into the 3rd day. I am at 15 .5 hrs and I still have 23% charge. So this is a miracle and I believe this might be the biggest issue with many of the folks complaining about battery life. The other thing is my phone used to get really super hot. It is no longer heating up since I got the new charger.

So, bottom line, make sure you have Samsung original charger, if you already dont have one. I am planning to get a second :)
Well, let me tell you one more thing I guess this increase in backup is seen because you may have disabled the data connection. Try keeping your device data connection enabled over the 3G network for a day and you'll started seeing that batter backup has started decreasing ! :cool:

SRIDAL

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SAMSUNG GALAXY S3
Well, let me tell you one more thing I guess this increase in backup is seen because you may have disabled the data connection. Try keeping your device data connection enabled over the 3G network for a day and you'll started seeing that batter backup has started decreasing ! :cool:

My typical setting is - My data is always on. I use WIFI when available. I use battery doctor to optimize as well. My overall usage behavior has not changed. Between the before (6 hrs battery) and after (15 hrs battery).. the only thing I changed was the charger. Let me test it for some time and will let you know if the improvement is maintained.

P

promo87

My typical setting is - My data is always on. I use WIFI when available. I use battery doctor to optimize as well. My overall usage behavior has not changed. Between the before (6 hrs battery) and after (15 hrs battery).. the only thing I changed was the charger. Let me test it for some time and will let you know if the improvement is maintained.

Well, that seems be be great anyway try testing it out for a day I'll be waiting for your reviews. But I am sure that your battery isn't going to last long with 3G network enabled.