Battery Drain after ICS update...

thepeskydingo

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I Just upgraded to ICS over the weekend and ever since my battery seems to drain an a very fast rate (2-3 hours of being idle) and operates at a high temperature (96.8 degrees) without even using it.

I have had it unplugged for 17 minutes and havent used it since i powered it on and it is down to 90% already. it tells me 60% of battery was used on "Media" and 30% on "Screen".

Any idea what Media is draining my battery and how to stop it? I didnt have any problems before the update..

All help and ideas are appreciated! Thanks!!

satsun

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Also my phone would barely charge, when at 20 percent it would seem to die in about 5 minutes and it would be hot as hell after my upgrade. Most of my applications wouldn't work either.

I did a full reset (i have everything backed up to Google). Once that was complete it automatically downloaded all the applications and setting and i was ready to run. My battery life is amazing, and all the applications are working properly. upgrades usually cause issues it's best to do a full reset and work from there, as well you wont be spending countless hours now and in the future trying to resolve the issue.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Remember that when your phone tells you that you are at 90% that can be anyway between 90-99, so that could be just going from 100%-99% in 17 minutes which is not too uncommon if you are using it.

As far as the media using 60% and the screen using 30%, again remember that is just 60% of that possible 1% of actual battery use. So worrying about those percentages when your battery is still high up there is kind of pointless.

If you would like to download something like bada$$ battery monitor that will tell you exactly what is using your battery, and then you can take it from there and start working on a plan to improve battery life.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Moving to the battery forum :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
T

thepeskydingo

Reaction score
Remember that when your phone tells you that you are at 90% that can be anyway between 90-99, so that could be just going from 100%-99% in 17 minutes which is not too uncommon if you are using it.

As far as the media using 60% and the screen using 30%, again remember that is just 60% of that possible 1% of actual battery use. So worrying about those percentages when your battery is still high up there is kind of pointless.

If you would like to download something like bada$$ battery monitor that will tell you exactly what is using your battery, and then you can take it from there and start working on a plan to improve battery life.

Thanks for the responses,
I realize that going from 100-90% will show 90%, but the fact that the phone was generating so much heat is what concerned me. Also the fact the my phone went from 100 to 0% in under 3 hours last night while i was in a movie and definately not using it raises an eyebrow.

gonna try that bada$$ battery app and see if i can figure out what is running in the background.

Thanks!

donnie5336

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I Just upgraded to ICS over the weekend and ever since my battery seems to drain an a very fast rate (2-3 hours of being idle) and operates at a high temperature (96.8 degrees) without even using it.

I have had it unplugged for 17 minutes and havent used it since i powered it on and it is down to 90% already. it tells me 60% of battery was used on "Media" and 30% on "Screen".

Any idea what Media is draining my battery and how to stop it? I didnt have any problems before the update..

All help and ideas are appreciated! Thanks!!

If you haven't already done so, try this. Go into your app drawer and click on My Music. Then click the Menu softkey, then Settings. make sure "Live Music Information" is UNchecked. This is a huge battery drain on my phone. I had turned it off before ICS upgrade, and it got turned back on somehow with the upgrade. This could be why yours is showing Media as a big battery user.

PiddlyD

Reaction score
Same issue

Post ICS update my Droid 4 is running super hot. I've been off of battery 2 hours and I'm down to 20% charge, and Media is the #1 consumer of the battery. CPU total is 1h 16m 55s for Media.

I don't think you need Bad@$$ Battery Manager to see that the Media module is burning through battery life.

OP
T

thepeskydingo

Reaction score
Post ICS update my Droid 4 is running super hot. I've been off of battery 2 hours and I'm down to 20% charge, and Media is the #1 consumer of the battery. CPU total is 1h 16m 55s for Media.

I don't think you need Bad@$$ Battery Manager to see that the Media module is burning through battery life.

Hey PiddlyD,
I fixed my problem, but it required a factory reset. Go to settings> Privacy > Factory data reset...

This will delete everything on your phone and reinstall the OS, so be sure to back up everything that you dont want to lose. The reset took 10 mins of so if i remember correctly.

Kind of a pain I know, but everything has worked perfect since I did the reset.

Hope that helps.

wwdroid

Reaction score
Hey PiddlyD,
I fixed my problem, but it required a factory reset. Go to settings> Privacy > Factory data reset...

This will delete everything on your phone and reinstall the OS, so be sure to back up everything that you dont want to lose. The reset took 10 mins of so if i remember correctly.

Kind of a pain I know, but everything has worked perfect since I did the reset.

Hope that helps.

Anyone find another solution? "Factory data reset", while the advice is nice to have, is not a place I care to go...surely there must be another answer.

Thanks...

wwdroid

Reaction score
Anyone find another solution? "Factory data reset", while the advice is nice to have, is not a place I care to go...surely there must be another answer.

Thanks...

Well my phone is OK now (apparently...keeping a close eye on it of course)...took about 12-15 hours for it to "normalize" after I did the ICS update...battery drain is back to normal, battery temp is back to normal...phone is running smoothly.

I did make a couple changes...one was to force 3G using "LTE ON/OFF" from the Google Play Store ("4G toggle" does not work with ICS)...the other was to stop "Tasker" from running. Of course 3G instead of 4G does save battery. But I doubt that stopping Tasker had anything to do with fixing the phone, but I just thought I'd mention everything I did, just in case.