Battery drain and screen background

RAZRmax

Reaction score
This may be obvious, but does a mostly-black background use less power than a light-colored background?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
With OLED displays such as yours (SAMOLED), there is no "backlight", meaning all light produced comes from the actual pixels. In order for a pixel to produce light, it uses power, and the brighter the image, the more power required. So to answer your question, yes, you are correct.

Using a darker wallpaper, using a dark icon theme, anything you can do to reduce or eliminate white backgrounds, and turning down total screen brightness will all go a long way toward reducing battery consumption. There is even a dark Googe search that can be used in place of the default Google search, with black backgrounds and white text which consumes less power.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bgoog.android.search

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
You are totally right. Been using a small background image on a black background, and I have seen a major improvement in battery life.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And there you have it...another happy customer! Don't forget to pay at the register at the front of the store and thank you for shopping DroidForums! LOL! :D

jaye712

Reaction score
u know,i never knew using dark themes will improve,i actually been doin it for the last week n i have to sayyy...do u take loyal droidforum credits?LOL